View Full Version : New diagnosis trying make our way though.

Scottman
10-04-16, 07:31 PM
So, my 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADD by her paediatrician using a form with questions my wife and I filled out, as well as her teacher. Sometimes we can believe she has ADD with the lack of focus and learning problems that come along with this. But then there are other times we aren't sure because she can be patient for hours at a time when she really wants to do something. She also has cognitive memory problems, and we don't know if that is the problem, not ADD. She saw an educational psychologist in grade 1, and there was no mention of possible ADD. We want there to be something to help her, but we don't want to put her on these meds if she doesn't need them. The doctor has recommended putting her on Concerta and if it doesn't work, we can just take her off. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

sarahsweets
10-05-16, 04:21 AM
Do you trust her doctor? If so, then thats all you need to work with for now.

Caco3girl
10-05-16, 08:37 AM
So, my 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADD by her paediatrician using a form with questions my wife and I filled out, as well as her teacher. Sometimes we can believe she has ADD with the lack of focus and learning problems that come along with this. But then there are other times we aren't sure because she can be patient for hours at a time when she really wants to do something. She also has cognitive memory problems, and we don't know if that is the problem, not ADD. She saw an educational psychologist in grade 1, and there was no mention of possible ADD. We want there to be something to help her, but we don't want to put her on these meds if she doesn't need them. The doctor has recommended putting her on Concerta and if it doesn't work, we can just take her off. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

I feel your pain...I started noticing a difference in my son around 5th grade. I call it "When my son turned into a space cadet"...but now I know that's really when his ADHD, mostly inattentive, started to really take over his brain. The younger the kid is the harder it is to diagnose them, I'm not surprised the 1st grade evaluation didn't present with ADD. The most prevalent issues present with ADHD, specifically the inattentive type start to become more pronounced when the kid has more responsibility.

I have a 7 year old, she's not required to do much, heck her homework doesn't even count for anything. If she only does steps one and two out of a five step assignment it's kind of par for the course, the teacher corrects her, she gets to do it over. When my 9th grade son does that it's catastrophic.

As for her ability to focus....look closer. My son is a star baseball player, he does amazing things on a baseball field but if I look really close I can see his ADHD present even in the thing he is amazing at. I look at other players and they are zoned in all the time, my son zones in right before the pitch. It obviously doesn't affect his ability, but it isn't the same as what the other players are doing.

My son was formally diagnosed this past January, he was half way through 8th grade and failing because he was only mentally present for half of what the teacher said. It was frustrating and he began to think of himself as too stupid for school. There are no long term side affects of ADHD medications. If there is even a 1 percent chance that your daughter will grow up thinking she is too stupid for school don't you want to take the doctors advice and give her the medicine?

maple17
10-05-16, 02:14 PM
Hi there,

My 11 year old was just diagnosed (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179612) three weeks ago. Our heads are still spinning trying to take it all in, the implications, etc. We're going through all the feelings right now too: grief over the diagnosis, fear and apprehension about the meds trial and her future, even relief that we have an answer for what was causing the behaviour we were seeing. Even a bit of anger too that the diagnosis only happened recently and last year she was struggling but the school had written it off to moving and we didn't know any better and went along with what they said.

We returned the lengthy questionnaires to the paed yesterday (the teacher's and ours). The answers were remarkably similar, almost identical in fact.

From my reading, the lack of focus and hyperfocus is indicative of adhd. Her teacher sees it in class and we see it at home. I think it's amazing how some schoolwork can be such a struggle, but give her some complex arts project (drawing or animation) or craft project or whatever and she sails through it and is focused for the length of the task.

The paed has recommended Vyvanse for our daughter and even though I'm still uneasy about the medication, we're willing to give it a try to see if it helps.

Caco3girl
10-05-16, 02:25 PM
Hi there,

My 11 year old was just diagnosed (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179612) three weeks ago. Our heads are still spinning trying to take it all in, the implications, etc. We're going through all the feelings right now too: grief over the diagnosis, fear and apprehension about the meds trial and her future, even relief that we have an answer for what was causing the behaviour we were seeing. Even a bit of anger too that the diagnosis only happened recently and last year she was struggling but the school had written it off to moving and we didn't know any better and went along with what they said.

We returned the lengthy questionnaires to the paed yesterday (the teacher's and ours). The answers were remarkably similar, almost identical in fact.

From my reading, the lack of focus and hyperfocus is indicative of adhd. Her teacher sees it in class and we see it at home. I think it's amazing how some schoolwork can be such a struggle, but give her some complex arts project (drawing or animation) or craft project or whatever and she sails through it and is focused for the length of the task.

The paed has recommended Vyvanse for our daughter and even though I'm still uneasy about the medication, we're willing to give it a try to see if it helps.

While there is no long term adverse reactions to ADHD meds like Vyvvanse and Concerta I would still implore people to keep a closer eye on their kid during the first couple of days.

We have tried 4 medicines, one sort of worked, two had zero effect and one turned my kid into 100% teenage angst overnight...the world was ending, everything was UNFAIR, and my mild mannered son was thinking about going to live on a friends coach. This was only 2 days into the medicine so I just stopped it cold turkey, and poof, I had my kid back the next day.

My point is keep an eye out for any extreme reaction like that, and keep it in your head where that might be coming from. Also, if you can talk to your doctor ahead of time about what to do if you see something odd, well, that's always a good idea too.

maple17
10-05-16, 03:25 PM
While there is no long term adverse reactions to ADHD meds like Vyvvanse and Concerta I would still implore people to keep a closer eye on their kid during the first couple of days.

We have tried 4 medicines, one sort of worked, two had zero effect and one turned my kid into 100% teenage angst overnight...the world was ending, everything was UNFAIR, and my mild mannered son was thinking about going to live on a friends coach. This was only 2 days into the medicine so I just stopped it cold turkey, and poof, I had my kid back the next day.

My point is keep an eye out for any extreme reaction like that, and keep it in your head where that might be coming from. Also, if you can talk to your doctor ahead of time about what to do if you see something odd, well, that's always a good idea too.

Thanks. I was told to call if there are any really odd and unsettling or unexpected reactions (ie. ones not covered by the usual headache, stomachache, sleeplessness etc.). So, thanks for the heads up. It's not great for my nerves though! ;)