View Full Version : Quitting gym to enjoy health again.

Bluechoo
10-06-16, 07:39 PM
I am stuck in a rut. I generally enjoy being active enough to stay in shape, and I have been consistently lifting weights for almost two years now. I used to really enjoy it. But now the thought of finishing my my work day filled with screaming teenagers, and then driving, in LA traffic, to the gym, where it is always crowded and I usually have to wait in line for a machine I want to use, to spend way too much time getting a workout that should only take 30 or 40 minutes, utterly depresses me.

I started lifting weights as a means of organizing my life and managing some ADHD symptoms, but now its effects are less therapeutic and more bothersome. Now, I plan to cancel my gym membership and workout at home. I may buy some kettle-bells eventually; they are extremely versatile and can be used for almost movement. For now I will just start with pushups, pullups wherever I can find a bar, and body squats.

I may lose a little mass, but vanity is no longer a very influential force in my life, and I believe having the freedom to do my workout wherever I feel like will be far more beneficial for my mental well-being.

This decision also makes sense to me in regards to managing ADHD symptoms. The ADHDer thrives under changing environments and the freedom to explore.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were you pleased with the results when you adopted less conventional (but more convenient) methods?

Unmanagable
10-06-16, 09:25 PM
I failed miserably at following through with going to the gym.

I'd forget my bag with gym clothes, or start heading in the opposite direction and wouldn't want to turn around, would get there and have to wait, or felt like an idiot and way out of place while there. (I was over 300 lbs in those days)

When I was actually there, I enjoyed most of what I was able to participate in, until I got to the locker rooms/showers. Just yuck, even when they're clean, I still get grossed out.

After a medical scare, I majorly shifted my eating habits and began to incorporate purposeful daily movement, but it had to be fun and engaging. I now have a mini-tramploline, hula hoops, yoga mats, and an aerobic exerciser as part of my living room decor. All of which can easily be used outdoors, too.

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by a natural paradise within the mountains, so the daily walks are always a treat.

It works very well for me to have it all at my fingertips ready to roll whenever the urge hits. I don't have as many chances to distract myself trying to get to it, and it's all fun, so I'm more likely to do at least one of them each day.

Having it set up that way, along with the new food habits, has helped me lose 110 lbs, so far, and I have more energy than I thought I'd ever see again. I much prefer my home "gym" set up.

Bluechoo
10-14-16, 08:47 AM
A couple nights ago I drove to the gym I was frequenting for the last time, canceled, shook hands, and walked out in better posture than I ever had before. I felt free and light as a feather; taking control of a situation that was bringing me down provided a surge of motivation.

Yesterday I took a self-health day from work; I woke up, had a great warmup/yoga session, then I jogged to the park and had an amazing full-body-weight workout. I got winded very easily, and was quickly made aware of the deterioration of my cardiovascular health as a result of heavy weight lifting being my only form of exercise.

My goals are even transforming rapidly as a result of these changes. Vanity is taking a backseat in favor of developing overall athleticism, limberness, flexibility, and health. Lean looks good, but looks are not the focus; I do this more for my brain and spiritual well-being than anything. I am transforming my 'training' into 'playing,' and I have replaced gym with nature, so I am now playing in and with nature.

I am so excited to develop this and see where it takes me!

DJ Bill
10-14-16, 04:38 PM
good on ya! And if you do want to go back to weights and machines, try craigslist, even the free sections. Used weight equip and fitness machines sell for pennies on the dollar. I have less than $100 in a small universal gym, weight bench, and enough weight to keep me busy for several years.

I still prefer going for a good walk.

Corina86
10-14-16, 05:28 PM
My gym was close to my office, so getting there wasn't an issue. But the huge crowds next to every machine were annoying and so was the music. I'm not even going to talk about the locker-rooms. If there's a hair on your body, all the other girls would look as you in disgust. I quit after an year and I half and followed through with exercise for about 3 month, but now I've become totally lazy again. It's boring. I would need a personal coach or at least a work-out partner so I can have someone to talk to. I still take long walks though. I'm not fit, but at least I'm still slim.

stef
10-14-16, 05:44 PM
Even if i really wanted to, i really dont have time bc of commuting from work. and i dont want to! im a bit clumsy and i would hate to exercise with people ( except for the pool but thats closed on sundays now).
i walk a lot though and watch what i eat.

mctavish23
10-14-16, 10:10 PM
I love lifting, and have done so for years. It's funny how things can change in

a heartbeat, and turn things around. After suffering a stroke in July 2013, I

ultimately retired in Jan. 2014, after 30 years of practice. It's took me a year

to walk without falling, and to drive a car. As far as lifting is concerned, I

(literally) had to start all over from scratch.

Now, I'm back in the gym 2-3x's a week, struggling to hit things I used to

warm up on. I still fall too, but not as often. The gym's been my "therapy" for

a long time, and I'm grateful to be back.

I do understand where you're coming from though, and it looks to me like

you're doing what you need to do, which I think is cool. You'll do great no

matter what setting, as you're motivated & have solid goals.

Good luck.

mctavish23

(Robert)