View Full Version : Meds wear off too quickly

JadeBC
10-07-16, 08:47 PM
Ok so I find concerta usually wears off after less than 9 hours for me and leaves me a zombie! So I get home from work and it takes me hours to just do something simple like make dinner and go to sleep. I think I act more ADHD than I would if I hadn't taken it at all.
I usually take my meds right before I leave for work, but if I take it later in the day (say, two hours after I get to work) it doesn't seem to be as effective.
So assuming I want to function after work, how do I make it last longer? Or should I consider asking my Dr to switch meds?

Some history if it helps:
When I was 18 or so I was diagnosed. Tried a bunch of meds over that year, eventually settled on Concerta. I was on it for a while (dosage was 54 after some trial and error)
But after.. Probably about 3 years? I had forgotten to make an appointment for refills, ran out of meds and fell into old bad habits (procrastination etc) and I ended up being off meds for about a year. After a while I got frustrated with myself that I couldn't function as well as I needed to so I went back and was put on concerta 18 for a week then 36. After 3 months I asked him to increase it since it still wasn't having much effect and he said I should give more time to try and work (his reasoning was adults are more mature and are often able to have the same results on a lower dose)
After another 3 months my doctor increased it to 54. I've been on that for about a month now.

sarahsweets
10-08-16, 08:49 AM
Have you considered a ritalin booster?

JadeBC
10-08-16, 09:28 AM
That's a good idea, I'll ask my Dr about it when I see him next. What kind of dose would be "typical" for a booster? And how long does the instant release generally stay active for?

Rich1967
10-08-16, 09:24 PM
Have you considered a ritalin booster?

Whats a Ritalin booster?

GentleBee
10-15-16, 11:51 PM
I was on Concerta as well 30mg and it barely worked for 4 hours so I had to take a second dose in the afternoon to last me through the day. Concerta made me jittery at times. Have you tried Vyvanse?

sarahsweets
10-16-16, 06:44 AM
Whats a Ritalin booster?

Its where you take a dose of medication, usually a short acting one towards the end of the day to help keep you in check for the rest of the afternoon/evening, In this case it would be something like ritalin or something from the methylphenidate class of medications.

aeon
10-16-16, 11:32 AM
Consider Concerta at 8am + Concerta at 1pm

or

Concerta at 8am + Ritalin at 3-4pm

Whatever fits your schedule and metabolism.

Like sarahsweets says, a booster.

I used to take Concerta twice a day.

Cheers,
Ian

meesie
01-21-17, 07:24 PM
I take generic concerta 2 x's a day. 36 mg about 5 hours apart. Unless you are being prescribed the only real true bio equivalent version which is from Activis ( the real deal sold as generic) you will need it twice a day to get any where near 10 hours of relief.

Honestly it is not even a high dose, its like 8-9 mgs of ritalin being released even with the 2 doses, as all it does is prolong the amount of time not the dose. If that makes sense...:p