View Full Version : Does a diet help with ADHD?

sampeckinpah
10-07-16, 09:58 PM
i was reading online about how some foods might cause your symptoms of adhd because your body is sensitive to them. Is this true? Would a diet help ADHD? Do you have a diet?

namazu
10-07-16, 10:42 PM
A healthy diet tends to help everyone (ADHD or not) feel and function better, but in general, special or restricted diets don't effectively treat ADHD in a majority of people.

That said, there are some people who are particularly sensitive to certain foods and do find some relief from ADHD or similar symptoms by changing their diets or by eliminating specific foods. It is worth looking into if you believe that your symptoms are related to food.

Which foods vary from person to person, though, so there's no single recommended diet for ADHD, even among people whose symptoms do seem to be affected by food.

Some people notice that they feel worse after eating certain things and feel better when they cut those specific foods out of their diets. Artificial colorings are one of the more commonly-mentioned substances that some people avoid, but other people have sensitivities to different foods or additives.

Some people try to figure out their food sensitivities more systematically by going on a restricted diet and then adding foods back in slowly to see how the different foods affect them. You might be able to try this on your own, though if you're already having trouble managing your life, it may be tricky without some help from a doctor, dietician, psychologist, or someone else who can help you track your food intake and symptoms and be sure you're still eating healthily while you're testing for possible sensitivities.

Good luck!

stef
10-08-16, 05:52 AM
Totally agree with the above;
I just feel so much better eating less processed food ( as in an entire frozen meal), and more fresh fruit and vegetables, so this just makes my life in general easier to manage. Also just not overeating every day.

I made no radical changes, im not vegan or vegetarian. im actually planning to make a frozen pasta dish for lunch but at this like farmers market thing i bought pears and apples and some homemade appetizers.

sarahsweets
10-08-16, 08:34 AM
Some people say their adhd symptoms were gone after a diet change. In that case I would guess that maybe not all the symptoms were related to adhd.

sampeckinpah
10-08-16, 08:40 AM
A healthy diet tends to help everyone (ADHD or not) feel and function better, but in general, special or restricted diets don't effectively treat ADHD in a majority of people.

That said, there are some people who are particularly sensitive to certain foods and do find some relief from ADHD or similar symptoms by changing their diets or by eliminating specific foods. It is worth looking into if you believe that your symptoms are related to food.

Which foods vary from person to person, though, so there's no single recommended diet for ADHD, even among people whose symptoms do seem to be affected by food.

Some people notice that they feel worse after eating certain things and feel better when they cut those specific foods out of their diets. Artificial colorings are one of the more commonly-mentioned substances that some people avoid, but other people have sensitivities to different foods or additives.

Some people try to figure out their food sensitivities more systematically by going on a restricted diet and then adding foods back in slowly to see how the different foods affect them. You might be able to try this on your own, though if you're already having trouble managing your life, it may be tricky without some help from a doctor, dietician, psychologist, or someone else who can help you track your food intake and symptoms and be sure you're still eating healthily while you're testing for possible sensitivities.

Good luck!

So is it possible to just be sensitive to certain foods and actually be misdiagnosed as ADHD? My step brother was diagnosed for adhd and Im guessing my mom probably has it too

Unmanagable
10-08-16, 10:08 AM
I eliminated all meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, alcohol (minus a few tinctures), highly processed stuff, and most grains from my diet a year and a half ago due to a gall bladder attack. I've since experienced overall improvements in managing many symptoms that could also be attributed to adhd, but I also still have many of the same struggles I wrestled with before changing it up.

My body is overly sensitive to foods and medications and anything synthetically created, apparently, but it took 48 years to figure it out. I was diagnosed with severe adhd, severe anxiety, severe depression, severe fibromyalgia, severe osteoarthritis, severe respiratory issues, severe IBS, etc. but they ignored facts that created ptsd from sexual and domestic abuse.

It's hard for anyone to narrow down symptoms to an exact science, most especially in the mental health arena. Labels are for insurance companies more so than for clear understanding, from what I've experienced.

My lifestyle changes (definitely not just a temporary diet) were drastic, as were my improvements. I've learned food is one of the most difficult changes to make, as we are all hard core addicts, but in the long run, I've found it to be much more user friendly and much simpler than continuing to try med after med after med that didn't process well with my biological needs and created more issues than it helped. We aren't only ingesting the substance itself, but we also ingest the energies attached to it.

namazu
10-08-16, 10:56 AM
So is it possible to just be sensitive to certain foods and actually be misdiagnosed as ADHD? My step brother was diagnosed for adhd and Im guessing my mom probably has it too
Yes; some people have food allergies or sensitivities that result in hyperactivity, difficulty thinking clearly, or other ADHD-like symptoms. In those cases the ADHD-like symptoms may disappear almost entirely with diet changes.

It is also possible to be diagnosed correctly with ADHD (which often does run in families), and to find that some foods or patterns of eating seem to make the symptoms worse.

And, of course, you may also find that diet doesn't affect your symptoms much, if at all.

sampeckinpah
10-10-16, 03:21 PM
Also what do you guys think about taking a multi vitamin to help with the symptoms?

Little Missy
10-10-16, 04:54 PM
Multi vitamins do nothing for the symptoms of ADHD. But they may be a good addition for your overall health if you are a poor eater.

Stevuke79
10-10-16, 06:00 PM
These things dont cure or treat adhd.

But eating well and taking vitamins can make it much more manageable. It's more than not eating well makes adhd much worse.

john2100
10-17-16, 11:58 PM
Also what do you guys think about taking a multi vitamin to help with the symptoms?

I take it daily . Also supplements that help with depression and improve mood and energy. Right now not on meds.

I think that when my depression is lifted and my energy levels are up , and i'm optimistic about life, my ADHD symptoms seem to be less distinctive or obvious.

I take daily
1000mg vit C with multivitamin Emergen-C or similar
Vit D
B12
B6
and or B50
Mg chelated 200mg
Fish oil with high EPA (around 1000EPA)

If I could choose only 2 -4 I would take fish oil ,MG, vitD,multivitamin

There are other supplements that may help with depression , mood ,energy and help you to manage symptoms little bit.

I take these but not daily and not all of them at the same time
-theamine
tyrosyne
5HTP
GABA
niacin
DMAE
ginko
ca

Mr.focus
10-31-16, 10:34 PM
It is a very controversial subject. Lots of professional have lots of point of view.

In my experience, i am a vegetarien and i find that having better food make you feel better. Either you have add or no. Like the old saying goes : food is fuel.

Hope it helps

PS: I began 3 month ago to drink green vegetable juice and i feel awesome after those.

BellaVita
11-01-16, 09:11 AM
I'm finding more that eating good food, and getting proper nutrition(including taking needed vitamins), makes me feel physically and mentally better.

Not sure if it helps my ADHD. I guess ADHD can sometimes be made worse for me with, for example, B-12 deficiency.

Little Missy
11-01-16, 12:15 PM
A good diet sure won't hurt it. :D

dvdnvwls
11-01-16, 03:48 PM
With ADHD, we have so many disadvantages and problems that we need to take every useful action we can take. Healthy eating is one of those.