View Full Version : adhd pi - to what degree does medication help?

NateDEEzy
10-09-16, 02:01 PM
To what degree does medication help you lead a normal life? Meaning you're able to focus and communicate with people at work and socially with ease and without anxiety? As well as be able to focus and complete tasks and have a week functioning memory?

I took some Adderall 20mg instant, yesterday, and felt really good, but the come down leaves me back where I was before, which sucks.

Do most of you have your medication dialed in to where you have a consistent benefit while you're awake?

Also, does anyone have experience with Nuvigil? Bc I don't like how Adderall makes you not hungry.

I'm 30, with no gf and don't like my job. I really want to be able to pursue someone I can spend my life with as well as a career I enjoy, but am afraid that I'm too spaced out wwithout medication to accomplish either. And I'm afraid that I'm selling not only myself short, but everyone else in my life, bc I'm not bringing my best self forward.

Looking for a little insight. Thanks a bunch!

Cyllya
10-10-16, 04:42 AM
It's incredibly helpful yet horrifically inadequate.

Come down? That normally refers to withdrawal effects, which would be worse than where you started. If 20 mg IR is helpful but wears off too soon, then the likely solution is to take multiple 20mg IR doses per day, or 40 mg XR. However, mood-related effects of Adderall aren't the intended purpose and probably won't last long.

These are my impairments and how my current Adderall dose effects them:

Attention problems (accidentally daydreaming while I'm trying to do something, or just zoning out completely) -- Decreases this problem a lot.

Working memory problems (forgetting what I'm doing while I'm in the middle of doing it) -- Gets rid of this problem almost completely.

Social anxiety (fearful around new people, hate using the phone, pathetically unassertive) -- No noticeable change. I'm usually fine with people at work because I know all of them.

Initiation impairment (weird urge to not do things, can't make myself think about complex things when I try to force myself to do them) -- Initially gets rid of this problem completely for several hours per day, but after a few months at the same dose, it stops working very well for this, even when it continues to help with the other problems.

Physical disorganization (desk is messy, etc) -- No noticeable change.

Inadequate planning/organizing skills to handle home life (I feel like this comic (https://xkcd.com/1106/)) -- Some improvement but not enough. Adult responsibilities still involve way too many things for me to handle unless I give up a lot of stuff to limit the amount of responsibilities. When I see other people who have kids and pets and a house that isn't a dump and even outside-of-home leisure activities AND they sometimes travel for vacation and I'm just like... HOW???? I can handle my job and two weekly chores, and that's it.

Sensory issues (hypersensitive) -- No noticeable change.

Hyperfocus/perseverance (hard to make myself quit activities) -- I think Adderall actually makes this worse, especially during withdrawal. Fortunately the times of day where it's worst correspond to times where I can get benefit from perseverating on my job, but that only applies in the same situations where I don't have too much initiation impairment.

Adderall XR lasts me about 9 hours I think, plus a little longer at a weaker effect. (The effect is pretty subtle, so it's hard to tell when it wears off.) So after work each day, it's hard to be very productive, but it's not unsafe for me to drive.

NateDEEzy
10-10-16, 10:11 PM
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to write this out!!

Pilgrim
10-11-16, 05:36 AM
I agree with above, I'm sort of in the same situation.

I guess if it covered everything it might be not fair. Haha

I can't see any other way.

When medication is working I usually succeed at being super disciplined.

The thought of being a loser nd not achieving some of the bucket list drives me forward.

I find with Stimulints the real danger is anxiety, and in my dark dreams addiction.

Bluechoo
10-11-16, 08:38 AM
My attention and focus are much better when medicated. I am more likely to persevere, as well. I have gotten slightly more organized, but I view that as working with the meds and learning how to be better at organization, rather than a direct effect from the meds themselves. Same goes with being social. I have to work with the med, which allows me to pay attention to what people are saying, but I have to make the habits of being social myself.

Attention and focus are probably the biggest impairments, so I am grateful that those are consistently remedied by the medicine. I never wanted the meds to do any more than that; I always viewed the other problems as being easier to manage once I was able to have the brain faculties to address them. So far, so good.

Pilgrim
10-14-16, 12:35 PM
This is a good question that I've thought about many times. Medication makes things that much easier, I know it has for me.
Problem is , yes, medication has to be dialled in. If things get extra stressful in your life this also really upsets the apple cart.

I find the real question to answer here is how well do you understand the medication and how you can use it sucessfully.

When you understand this it really becomes part of your life. That was my experience.