View Full Version : Meat Roll-ups

Nucking_Futs
05-26-05, 11:29 AM
I make this recipe using left overs or they end up going to the dogs. I prefer to use roast or steaks but chops and chicken breast work as well. I will try and break up the directions so they are a little easier for us ADD'ers to follow.

Shell

4 C all purpose flour
2t. salt
4t. baking powder
2T. vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water
Shredded meat
grated mild cheddar cheese

Dipping sauce suggestions

Ranch dressing
Picante sauce
Sour Cream
Guacamole

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.

With a pastry blender, a fork or your hands, gradually work in the lard or shortening until it is all incorporated.

Add enough warm water to make a soft but not sticky dough.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 1/4c. portions and form them into balls.

Roll the balls out with a rolling pin, I make the wraps pretty thin so they get nice and crispy.

Fill the rolled out wrap with cheese and meat (I don't have an exact amount I just go with it), roll the wraps up and pinch the ends shut and place into the deep fryer until a golden brown. I put them in a 200 degree oven until I've finished cooking them all.

Do I need to explain myself more or will this work for you all? lol

This is what happens when you eat out and play with your food until to you've figured out how they do it.

Tangerine
05-26-05, 12:07 PM
Yeah... I'm not sure I quite understand, could you explain it again? Wait! You're going to fast! What am I supposed to do? :)

(I'm really making fun of myself because it's something that happens to me on a regular basis, medicated or not)

Sounds good. I'll have to try that one :)

Nucking_Futs
05-26-05, 12:19 PM
Yeah... I'm not sure I quite understand, could you explain it again? Wait! You're going to fast! What am I supposed to do? :)

(I'm really making fun of myself because it's something that happens to me on a regular basis, medicated or not)

Sounds good. I'll have to try that one :)

lol in my senior yearbook many of my classmates quoted me as saying "huh" a little too often lol.

If you have trouble let me know and I'll walk ya thru it. The hard part is the tortillas but if you add the water to the dry mix a little at a time you should be ok, I hardly ever use the entire amount of water the recipe calls for.

DaveHawk
05-30-05, 08:24 PM
Sounds good, but when I cook their is not much left over LOL. I'll copy this and see what I can do. You wouldn't mind if I doctor it up a bit will you ? I like seasonings !

Nucking_Futs
05-31-05, 09:16 AM
I generally make these when I'm short on time. If I know I'm going to have a busy day I'll make extra steaks, chicken breasts or an extra roast so I'm sure to have enough meat. Since I use left overs its already seasoned silly. :p

DaveHawk
05-31-05, 01:46 PM
My wife knows when I cook that things get very taistfull. I open the cabenet and start grabbing.

Nucking_Futs
05-31-05, 02:12 PM
OK but maybe someone should warn you that seasoning food is an art form there is such a thing as overduing it and ruining the dish.

Out of curiosity whats your favorite seasoning for meat? lol Stupid question but I'm pretty stupid today. Mine is Garlic and I have this Indian seasoning its hot as heck that Doug got off the internet its great.

capt kylos
05-31-05, 03:23 PM
You must try Chef P Prudhommes Meat Magic. I use it on pork and beef. There is also a poultry and seafood magic. I don't grill pork without it. Capt Kylos:)

DaveHawk
05-31-05, 03:51 PM
I also use garlic then I add celery salt, a pinch of lemon season maybe some sage. You know I'm an "artist" LOL

DaveHawk
05-31-05, 03:53 PM
Capt , you should try the way I gril with 1/3rd vergin olive oil and 2/3rd of you favotie BBQ sauce. Bast it as it cooks, keeping the heat low and slow. The olive oil transports the BBQ into the meat and makes the meat very moist.

Nucking_Futs
05-31-05, 04:32 PM
I wrote it on my shopping list Capt, thanks. This weekend I had my first smoked pork roast and OMG you didn't have to do a darn thing to it, it was so GOOD!!!! My husband is a miracle worker with the grill.

I don't use much celery salt it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe, I'm just using too much.

capt kylos
05-31-05, 04:35 PM
I agree with you Dave that oil in a meat marinade is vital. I use olive oil with Adolfs meat marinade for steak, venison or elk. Now I will have to try it with BBQ sause ,:) now that you have suggested it. Capt Kylos

Nucking_Futs
05-31-05, 04:39 PM
I have acid reflux and we add beer to our barbeque sauce it helps cut the acidity and cooks out. I wonder if olive oil would have the same effect.

DaveHawk
05-31-05, 06:32 PM
Fut's you should have no problem with the olive oil. plus it has a very mild tasit and great on the figure LOL

O yes , Pic's on the figure , I want pic's! LOL

Nucking_Futs
05-31-05, 09:03 PM
Fut's you should have no problem with the olive oil. plus it has a very mild tasit and great on the figure LOL

O yes , Pic's on the figure , I want pic's! LOL

Are you saying there is something wrong with my figure :eyebrow:

I've seen no pics of you so I don't believe I'll be sharing. :p