View Full Version : What's the ideal way to treat ADHD and Anxiety?

italianstallion
10-12-16, 04:58 PM
I've been prescribed vyvanse for about a year and a half now. In the beginning it seemed to work wonders but with each passing month it seems to be becoming less and less helpful. I guess this was from a combination of not knowing what to expect and not understanding/be able to accurately explain how I was actually reacting as I was 18 years old and no expert in any of this.

I'm now at the point where I'll get a couple good hours (Maybe 2 hours) where I can concentrate, feel motivated and good about myself. Then, anxiety takes over. For the rest of the day I get caught in an anxious state that I can't get past. If the vyvanse is still helping me it is just barely allowing me to focus a little more, but any desire to do things be it work etc. is overshadowed by unbearable anxiety. I don't have the interest in things that I used to and I think it is because all I can think about is the anxiety. I thought maybe my dose was just off but after summer vacation I have now been taking vyvanse for almost 2 months. I took 50mg and then was bumped up to 60mg, but after maybe a couple decent days where it seemed to be working better, I ended up right back where I started. I am seeing my doctor next week and want to request changing to something else because vyvanse just doesn't seem like it is for me at this point.

Should I ask to switch to aderall, would this carry with it the same negative effects of anxiety? I've also heard people talk about dexedrine being more favorable. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation or know what a possible solution could be? Would anxiety medication help or would it just interfere with the vyvanse?

I also take 10mg evekeo, mostly on weekends and seem to have a better reaction to that. However, it is short acting so I only get maybe 4-5 hours out of it. I think it is actually quite similar to aderall but I don't know for sure. Could this mean a short acting med that I could take as needed throughout the day would cause less anxiety?

Also I notice I sweat a lot more on vyvanse, only from my armpits. I think I sweat more than the average person in general, not sure if this is related to anxiety.

sarahsweets
10-23-16, 05:08 AM
I'm now at the point where I'll get a couple good hours (Maybe 2 hours) where I can concentrate, feel motivated and good about myself. Then, anxiety takes over. For the rest of the day I get caught in an anxious state that I can't get past. If the vyvanse is still helping me it is just barely allowing me to focus a little more, but any desire to do things be it work etc. is overshadowed by unbearable anxiety. I don't have the interest in things that I used to and I think it is because all I can think about is the anxiety.
I think you have already given vyvanse enough of a try. I would call the doc asap and go in to see him. You need a med that works. I know vyvanse for me and my girls, caused big mood issues and mood swings. I have a resentment against vyvanse but I wont junk up your thread talking about me.

Should I ask to switch to aderall, would this carry with it the same negative effects of anxiety? I've also heard people talk about dexedrine being more favorable. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation or know what a possible solution could be? Would anxiety medication help or would it just interfere with the vyvanse?
Some people can get anxious on adderall due to the levoamphetamine causing excess PNS stimulation. Its still better than they vyvanse though. I would recommend dexedrine. Its already in the vyvanse you have taken.

also take 10mg evekeo, mostly on weekends and seem to have a better reaction to that. However, it is short acting so I only get maybe 4-5 hours out of it. I think it is actually quite similar to aderall but I don't know for sure. Could this mean a short acting med that I could take as needed throughout the day would cause less anxiety?

IME multiple smaller doses are better than once a day dose.
IR meds last 4 hours so you need more doses.

C15H25N3O
12-05-16, 12:25 AM
Vyvanse and CBD-oil worked for me.
CBD cuts Vyvanses stimulation peaks
for a better medicated balance.
The mix of both did not only treat but
healed from anxiety.

I am without any anxiety now.

I will try to use Vyvanse in 2017 only
on micro-dosages and I hope I can
replace it by CBDs counterpart
if insurance will pay. I am on war again!

15 years forked hard by antihistamines
and 13 years forked harder by SSRI.

I am a victim of Dr. Lazybone not using
their brains but empiric study evidences!

jkimbo
12-05-16, 01:12 AM
Tell your pdoc about the anxiety, it may be as simple as adding a Benzodiazepine such as Klonopin to curve the anxiety. One will not cancel out the other but combined often help the user combat anxiety or smooth out any rough edges. Often it takes a combo and or trial and error before you and your pdoc finds the right combo and dosage for you. Anxiety is common and very often very easy to treat. By talking to your pdoc however will enable your pdoc to gather more information from you that will help him/her determine what the next step is. Best of luck to you!

C15H25N3O
12-05-16, 06:29 AM
Benzodiazepines are addictive. CBD is not
psychotrop (no pots high) substance from
industrial hemp not from pot.

Anxiety can be a result of overstimulation
and decreasing the dosage by milligrams
can be an easy solution too.

I know vyvanse for me and my girls, caused big mood issues and mood swings. I have a resentment against vyvanse but I wont junk up your thread talking about me.

Is this not a result of bipolarity?

Dexedrine contains dexamphetaminsulfate and Vyvanse contains dexamphetaminedimesilat which is different.
But it could be worth a try although I think dexedrine will not help on anxiety as it kicks in stronger and Vyvanses
weakness will not make anxiety but Vyvanses weakness can be a reason for a to high dosage that can result in
overstimulation that is felt like anxiety or nervousness.

cwf1986
02-21-17, 06:22 PM
Keep in mind that when it comes to finding the right meds and dosages, YMMV.

I found vyvanse to not carry as many sides as adderall, but it didn't work as well for me either.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. For anxiety, I take intuniv and the tricyclic nortriptyline.

I also see a therapist that helps me develop better ways of thinking, habits, and solutions to issues in my life and this helps with anxiety too.

The meds I take help me get even more out of the therapy because of the clarity of thought and power of perception that they grant me. Then I employ the strategies I get from therapy to further help with anxiety and then I get even more clarity and powers of perception.

It's a positive feedback loop.

fathom6
08-07-17, 11:07 AM
My experience with Vyvanse is very positive for my ADD. It lets me be VERY productive (literally day and night difference), plus a does a total magic with my speech impediment (day and night difference). I think I can relate to your anxiety that you mention as a consequence, though I perceive that effect a little different, and maybe I am wrong to classify it as anxiety? I get a racing heart on Vyvanse, I can feel my heart louder and beating faster. Though it really helps me work faster too, apart from taking away any procrastinations away. Surprisingly, if I take Gabapentin, that silences my heart completely, its effect is so wicked, you literally feel as if your heart is no longer inside your body. Though I get surreal on Gabapentin 100 mg which I dont like since, I perceive that be countering Vyvanse. (I wish if there was 50 mg of gabapentin instead)