View Full Version : Days off of Ritalin?

sampeckinpah
10-13-16, 10:23 AM
Can I take days off of ritalin? I have Ritalin 20 mg SR. Does it matter if I dont take it one day when I dont really need the meds? Like on the weekends, it doesnt really matter if my adhd is really bad then because Im not working. Or like what if I want to have a few beers and get tipsy? I dont want to do that on Ritalin because wont that cause side effects? Is anything bad going to happen to me if I randomly stop taking it somedays? People have told me I could have a heart attack if I dont take it regularly and that scared me.

Bluechoo
10-13-16, 11:31 AM
You should talk to your doctor, but the likely scenario is that they'll tell you it is ok to take a break on weekends or whatever. A lot of people never take a day off and that is fine too.

Obviously, you do not want to mix medication with alcohol, as it will be a bad time for your heart and liver.

passingthought
02-03-17, 03:00 PM
I've been told that missing a dose or two is okay, but missing a few days or longer at a high dose could cause heart problems when I go back to it. My psychiatrist is very anxious about these, but even she wouldn't class 20mg/day as dangerous, though she wouldn't recommend it anyway.

I am, however, not a doctor. If in doubt, speak to yours.

RJV1989
02-15-17, 11:50 PM
I can go days off Ritalin and tolerate it. The only thing I notice is drowsiness.