View Full Version : BiogeniQ | A genetic report to find the right medication

Rockafella83
10-15-16, 03:37 PM
*** I'm not here to promote this company or test. In fact, It's quite the opposite. I'll say until further proof, i'm really sceptical about it.

It's called "BiogeniQ". Per their website...
Based on a DNA analysis, the ADHD Pharma Profile from BiogeniQ helps identify the medications that have the best chance of working and the ones that have a higher risk of causing unwanted side effects.

The ADHD Pharma Profile analyses these important medications

Psychostimulants :

– Amphetamine (Adderall XR®)
– Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine®)
– Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse®)
– Methylphenidate (Biphentin®, Concerta®, Ritalin®)

Non-psychostimulants :

– Atomoxetine (Strattera®)
– Bupropion (Wellbutrin®, Zyban®)
– Clonidine (Catapres®, Dixarit®)
– Guanfacine (Intuniv XR®)
– Risperidone(Risperdal®)

I live in Quebec/Canada and I was surprised to see this annoucement at TV Local news stating a "revolutionary breaktrought" to use genotype to suggest which ADHD med might work better for you.

I have actually send the link to Dr Charles Parker (Neuropsychiatrist) who is my reference, when it come to get the right meds and why it might not work properly. I'm expecting response from him and I'll keep you in the loop for his answser.

Honestly, after struggelling many years to find the right med, I would say that this is real b*llsh*t. Personnaly, I'll say that you can't, with a genetic test, precise which meds will work best for you. It is wayyy too complicated using only "enzymes" as they says they do.

I'm here to start a conversation with your opinions and your experiences.

Cheers,

Phil

namazu
10-15-16, 03:51 PM
Hi Phil,

There is a very similar test available in the U.S. called GeneSight, which makes some of the same claims (and appears to share similar limitations) of this BiogeniQ test.

You may find some relevant discussion on threads about that test, which appears to be based on the same general principles, for example:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168775
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179014

The short version of my assessment is that this type of testing has some promise, and may be useful in a small number of cases. However, there are so many medication response variables we don't yet understand (i.e., things besides the 7 genes they look at) that these tests are likely to be of minimal value to most people, and don't live up to the marketing hype.

Tetrahedra
10-15-16, 10:12 PM
I suppose it's to point you in the right direction and maybe kick some off the list so that you're not wasting your money and time on ones that are an obvious NO for you. Right now, I don't think we have the technology to say that this is a useful tool, but maybe in the next twenty years, we'll see some development and improvement.