View Full Version : not sleeping?

chic14
10-17-16, 11:12 AM
My son who is now 7 does not sleep. He has been this was since he was almost 3. He takes medication to help him fall asleep and to stay asleep. Without meds he will fall asleep around 1a and wake 2-4 hours later with no naps through the day either. The med he is on currently keeps him asleep till morning but he still not asleep till almost midnight. Any advice?

Caco3girl
10-17-16, 12:01 PM
I have an UN-diagnosed 7 year old daughter, she has NEVER been a good sleeper. Others may disagree but in order to keep everyone else in the house from loosing sleep every night I have given her strict instructions. If she doesn't feel well she can come wake me up, if she is hungry or thirsty she has a drawer that she can eat anything out of at night...goldfish....cheeze it....pop-tart....lunchable and she can only have water. Other than that she is allowed to have her TV on Disney all night, but ONLY Disney and only THAT Disney Chanel, we have 4 on our provider, but she isn't allowed to change the channel. She can get up to go to the bathroom or get the food, but that's it. Other than that she needs to be in her bed being quiet.

If for some reason she gets to sleep before 9pm she is always up by 5am, at least that is when I get up and she hears me and comes out to say hello....*SIGH*....prior to coffee this does not go over well and I usually tell her to get back in bed and TRY to sleep. Typically she actually goes to sleep closer to 11pm. It doesn't affect her school work, she isn't falling asleep in class, and I can only assume that this is just how she is wired.

My actual diagnosed 14 year old son could sleep 20 hours a day if I let him, always could. So I don't think this is an ADHD thing I think it's an individual body thing.

sarahsweets
10-22-16, 05:12 AM
What kind of bedtime routine do you have?

CrazyLazyGal
10-24-16, 10:32 PM
Could he be one of those people that biologically doesn't need as much sleep as the average person? I read an article about these people. They only need 4 hours of sleep a night, some only 2, and they don't get tired. I had a professor like that. He's been that way his entire life.

BellaVita
10-24-16, 11:12 PM
Could he be one of those people that biologically doesn't need as much sleep as the average person? I read an article about these people. They only need 4 hours of sleep a night, some only 2, and they don't get tired. I had a professor like that. He's been that way his entire life.

I'd love to be one of those people. I require around 9.2-12 (sometimes up to 14) hrs of sleep each night.

BellaVita
10-24-16, 11:15 PM
OP - If he has a solid bed time routine and still doesn't sleep, I'd recommend a sleep study done if they do that for kids.

He might be having some underlying issue/sleep disorder.

He could also just be wired differently and have a different body rhythm than the norm, which is what I have. I've been this way for as long as I remember.

sarahsweets
10-25-16, 04:35 AM
I am like this, seriously. I had a sleep study done and basically when you are in deep sleep your brain has Delta waves. When you are active, they are Alpha waves. When I am in deep sleep, my brain emits Alpha waves and not too many Delta ones. This means that although I am in stage 3 or 4 deep sleep, my brain is active as if I was more conscious. Thinking, turning things over in my mind and physically I move a lot. I also sleep walk. This is one of the things that plays into my sleep issues. I was told that not everyone needs the 7-8 hours of sleep. A small percentage of people need 4-5, so thats me.
I have a nazi like bedtime routine that helped me regulate my sleeping patterns.