View Full Version : I have a test

Tetrahedra
10-17-16, 12:32 PM
I have a test in a few hours and I am not studying. Not because I don't want to study but because I can't force myself to.

TygerSan
10-17-16, 12:35 PM
Can you set a timer for 15 minutes, or go over one section and then take a break for an equal amount of time?

I find the hardest part is just sitting down and getting started sometimes.

Good luck!

Fuzzy12
10-17-16, 12:37 PM
Story of my life. Before I was diagnosed with adhd I used to wonder if I was going generically insane as I just couldn't understand why I didn't do things that I not only had to do but also wanted to do and was perfectly capable of doing. And why instead I ended up going things that were neither useful nor very exciting (like playing spider solitaire or sharing at the wall...)

What would force you to study? What happens if you fail the test?

Tetrahedra
10-18-16, 03:28 PM
Update: failed the test. I think. I don't have the results back, but I'm not confident.

Sometimes the timer thing works, sometimes it doesn't. In this case, I could sit down and turn on the timer, but I didn't know WHAT I was studying even though I had all my notes and my study guide in front of me. It was like I couldn't prioritize or assemble thoughts in my brain, so I couldn't even find a place to begin.

Fuzzy12
10-18-16, 04:09 PM
Oh no. Hope you haven't failed. Is it an important test?

Tetrahedra
10-18-16, 10:33 PM
Yes unfortunately.

ToneTone
10-19-16, 05:35 PM
You know ... I haven't seen anyone write about this ... But there's a lot of talk about ADHD people needing deadlines to get motivated. And that's true for me a lot of the time.

But it's also true that sometimes if I'm up against a decline, I zone out and just go flat. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with the pressure.

For me, it's much easier to do something EARLY than it is to it right on time. Trust me: I don't often do things early, but I have noticed that I'm a lot more relaxed when studying early on ... away from a deadline.

I can get errands done early far better than I can get them done on deadline.

Just my mixed-up two cents.

Tone

Tetrahedra
10-19-16, 09:39 PM
I agree. There is a lot of evidence that ADHD people work well with deadlines, and I see it in myself, too. But I'm also learning that I can study much better ahead of time because I have more time to soak in the information, which is fairly obvious. Unfortunately some times - like in this example - I just can't pull myself together well enough to actually figure out HOW to study. I sit down to do it, and I know what I'm supposed to study, but I just can't figure out where to start first.

finallyfound10
10-19-16, 10:53 PM
I'm in school and have a hard time getting started on studying or working a project. If I have a project, I wait until the last minute as I simply cannot do it earlier- it's like something won't let me. I guess the something is called ADHD.

Jeftheginger
10-26-16, 01:20 AM
I'm in school and have a hard time getting started on studying or working a project. If I have a project, I wait until the last minute as I simply cannot do it earlier- it's like something won't let me. I guess the something is called ADHD.
Same. Big presentation due today I could not make my self estate the PowerPoint until yesterday.

dvdnvwls
10-26-16, 01:57 AM
I agree. There is a lot of evidence that ADHD people work well with deadlines, and I see it in myself, too. But I'm also learning that I can study much better ahead of time because I have more time to soak in the information, which is fairly obvious. Unfortunately some times - like in this example - I just can't pull myself together well enough to actually figure out HOW to study. I sit down to do it, and I know what I'm supposed to study, but I just can't figure out where to start first.
Sometimes it helps me to remind myself "In this case there IS no how - just start"

Tetrahedra
10-26-16, 02:05 AM
I did ok on the test. Not a complete failure.

TygerSan
10-26-16, 06:11 AM
I'm so glad! I was hoping you might've done better than you thought. That's the kind of thing that happened to me all the time when I was in school. I never did quite as poorly as I was convinced I had. Sometimes studying is close to impossible to do.