View Full Version : Second hand smoke? anyone grow up in this kind of enviroment.

tuggray
10-19-16, 05:26 AM
I am not sure how many of you suffer from the form of ADD that makes your mind very BLANK.

I think the form is inattentive Limbic ADD. But honestly i feel i need answers

now my issue is i have no working memory or visual memory and very limited audio echo / mind chatter.

This left me with extremely bad learning disabilities and if it's second had smoke what do i do, sue my parents?

I'm aware wellbutrin may be the answer for me but with such backward mental health doctors in the UK they don't even prescribe it for any ADD/Depression.

does anyone else here have a hard time trying to visualize things in their head, what i can describe things in my mind are as Feelings alone, no voices or images just sensations like vertigo or movement.

I want to call this my Pinocchio ADD, which in forms where your head is empty and require other people to help you make up your mind because you really can't do it by yourself.
you lack judgment, and tend to feel very air headed 24/7 depression happens because you can't control of focus on what your doing and you tend to make many mistakes due to it.

So question to everyone is if you feel the same way was you a child second hand smoker?

Little Missy
10-19-16, 09:40 AM
I grew up with plenty of second hand smoke, worked in places with even more second hand smoke and I do not believe it has anything to do with ADHD although I may be wrong.

I hope you are able to find the help that you want. :)

sarahsweets
10-19-16, 09:51 AM
I'm aware wellbutrin may be the answer for me but with such backward mental health doctors in the UK they don't even prescribe it for any ADD/Depression.

I have friends in the UK that were prescribed this for adhd and depression.

So question to everyone is if you feel the same way was you a child second hand smoker?
Does smoke cause adhd??

tuggray
10-19-16, 09:59 AM
I'm trying to get wellbutrin for my ADHD-PI along with hopefuly a stimulant, i actually have spent the last few hours talking to a random who i met on another forum unrelated but we have the same story and i feel that neurotoxins in passive smoke may be to blame for late puberty and dopamine defysiency related to the form of ADHD i have,

currently in the UK i got missdiagnosed with ASD instead of ADHD because the doctors in this country love to make crazy people feel like **** and not actually help them.

I'll be taking legal action if they continue to missdiagnose and treat me with the wrong medications anyway.

but it was like the program felt like giving me answers today i feel like my curiosity is some what forfilled.

i'm having a very OCD day with my problem. (i don't feel like correcting my spelling)

tuggray
10-19-16, 10:00 AM
oh and on the subject of smoking, i don't like smoking personally but i picked up the habbit a few years ago and quit due to vape and don't even vape since i lost my job anyway. Waste of time n energy it does nothing for me prob cos my receptors don't even work. IDK i need to get a spect scan or something.

Greyhound1
10-19-16, 11:19 AM
My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. There is some evidence to suggest maternal smoking and second smoke can cause ADHD.

Second Hand Smoke and ADHD
Although there is no known, specific cause of ADHD, most research suggests that it is caused by inherited traits. However, there is growing evidence that supports the fact that exposure to certain environmental toxins can cause ADHD. According to research, children who are exposed to second hand smoke have more difficulty with memory, reasoning, and other cognitive abilities, all of which are symptoms of ADHD. In Hong Kong, a study was conducted that involved students between the ages of eleven and twenty years old. The study revealed that one third of the students who lived with at least one smoker, described their school performance as poor. This leads many experts to believe that second hand smoke causes ADHD or ADHD symptoms.

Maternal Smoking and ADHD
Not only is smoking during pregnancy linked to low birth weight and birth defects, there is increasing evidence that it may also be a risk factor for ADHD. In fact, according to a study authored by Dr. Tanya Froehlich, women who smoke during their pregnancy may be twice as likely to give birth to a child with ADHD or other behavioral disorders. The study also showed that pregnant women who are exposed to second hand smoke are also more likely to have a child with ADHD. Many experts think that this is due to the fact that the nicotine may hinder the development of the brain, in turn, leading to behavioral issues.

Studies conducted on animals have shown that nicotine exposure during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy affect the development of the brain of the fetus. Although nicotine exposure in the womb is one of many factors that may contribute to ADHD, researchers involved with this study suggest that up to 38% of children with ADHD, who are between the ages of 8 and 15 years of age, may have the disorder as a result of prenatal exposure.

Unmanagable
10-19-16, 11:29 AM
My dad and most of my parents friends smoked. I tried it for the first time in the 4th grade. Then started again in the 10th grade and didn't stop until 9 years ago.

namazu
10-19-16, 03:17 PM
The ADHD <-->smoking connection seems to go both ways:

On the one hand, exposure to smoke can affect fetal and childhood development.

On the other hand, ADHD and other psychiatric disorders strongly increase the likelihood that someone will smoke.

So it could be that your parents smoked, in part, because they had ADHD/dopamine issues themselves -- and you may have ADHD/dopamine issues, in part, because you inherited that from your parents -- not just because you were exposed to smoke.

But the second-hand smoke surely didn't help matters -- it's hard to function your best when you're breathing crud and aren't getting as much oxygen as you should be.

In any case, I'm not sure you'll ever be able to get a definitive answer on the exact causes of your difficulties. ...And even if you did, it's not like you could travel back in time and change it. A SPECT scan isn't terribly likely to tell you anything you don't know already.

What's more important is figuring out ways to deal with it now.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty finding doctors you're comfortable with. I don't know the UK system well, but other members may be able to provide advice on that front.

Wellbutrin may help with depression and possibly ADHD symptoms, but there are other options in the UK as well. Meds generally don't help with learning disabilities directly, though if they help with working memory and other things, that's one less obstacle you have to deal with.

There may be other strategies that you could use to help with memory, getting things done, etc. I don't know what your life situation is, if you're looking for work, or you have a job, or if you're getting outside support and needing to function at home, or what, but depending on what specific problems you find yourself running into over and over, there may be some work-arounds that might help.

Hopefully some UK members will chime in with advice for getting help through (or despite) the NHS.

Little Missy
10-19-16, 03:20 PM
My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. There is some evidence to suggest maternal smoking and second smoke can cause ADHD.

Yep, my mum smoked with my brother and me and was on Dex. Housewives on Dex was pretty common in the 50's. And smoking.

Greyhound1
10-19-16, 06:09 PM
Yep, my mum smoked with my brother and me and was on Dex. Housewives on Dex was pretty common in the 50's. And smoking.

My mom smoked and drank alcohol while pregnant. Dad did as well.

I was exposed to maternal smoking and alcohol while in the womb and then second hand smoke until I was about 10 years old. I started drinking alcohol at age 12 to get drunk. It's a wonder I am not even more screwed up.

Little Missy
10-19-16, 06:29 PM
My mom smoked and drank alcohol while pregnant. Dad did as well.

I was exposed to maternal smoking and alcohol while in the womb and then second hand smoke until I was about 10 years old. I started drinking alcohol at age 12 to get drunk. It's a wonder I am not even more screwed up.

And here we are! Productive-ish, well mannered-ish, and...we love animals!

sarahsweets
10-20-16, 03:59 AM
Its so weird. Everyone smoked when I was growing up, including my parents. I specifically didnt smoke when pregnant, and not for a long while when my kids were young and they all have adhd and other issues. Unfortunately I have had started smoking when my son was 2 and have been on a start/stop smoking train since then. I dont smoke in my house or anything like that but I know that smoke can linger on your and your stuff. I am working on a solution to the smoking now but its so hard!

Pilgrim
11-07-16, 12:53 AM

This was me. Smoking was a lot more acceptable. ADD pure genetics I think.
Problem with second hand smoke it can get you addicted, where's the coffee?

Little Missy
11-07-16, 08:16 AM
This was me. Smoking was a lot more acceptable. ADD pure genetics I think.
Problem with second hand smoke it can get you addicted, where's the coffee?

Both parents drank coffee non-stop all day and night. Like Me!

Lunacie
11-07-16, 10:48 AM
No smoking when I was a kid. My ex smoked, so our daughter was raised in second-hand smoke. My ADHD is much worse than hers.

Little Missy
11-07-16, 10:50 AM
Still dying to sit in the garage and smoke and watch the neighbourhood with the radio on.