View Full Version : Possibility of adult ADHD

kittens9595
10-19-16, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone! I am a 21 year student. For all my life all my family and people around us showed me as an example of hardworker. I never enjoyed studying but in my elementary years i didn't find it that difficult to get started to study. In highschool i got bored more quickly and I'd hate studying but i still would and my grades were good. Now I'm in uni and i hate studying more than i ever did. First year of uni wasnt that hard but after 2 it has been intense, my grades arent very bad, i haven't failed yet but now midterms are close and i haven't studied at all, i only did my assignments. Also i have difficulties with following the classes, even with then ones i enjoy, i always end up on my phone, though it's less with the classes that I enjoy(there's only 2 sighh)

Also i have difficulty with going to bed, never before 1:30 am. And thus i have troubles with getting up early and im at least 15 minutesnlate to my morning classes at 9:30. I'm late even to my classes in my campus. I spend so much time on my phone. Even if not, i find other ways to keep myself or my mind occupied. I have become forgetful as well, i used to memorize dates and names very well but I'm not as good anymore. Also i usually miss the details, that's what my dad always told me.

I really dont want medication because I've been on meds for ocd for a year and it has NOT made me heal like 80%. Also i feel like I'm putting on weight because of it, my weight is healthy but im afraid to pass the point i am at now. And I'm not exactly sure if i have ADHD. What do you guys think

sarahsweets
10-19-16, 10:08 AM
Hello everyone! I am a 21 year student. For all my life all my family and people around us showed me as an example of hardworker. I never enjoyed studying but in my elementary years i didn't find it that difficult to get started to study. In highschool i got bored more quickly and I'd hate studying but i still would and my grades were good. Now I'm in uni and i hate studying more than i ever did. First year of uni wasnt that hard but after 2 it has been intense, my grades arent very bad, i haven't failed yet but now midterms are close and i haven't studied at all, i only did my assignments. Also i have difficulties with following the classes, even with then ones i enjoy, i always end up on my phone, though it's less with the classes that I enjoy(there's only 2 sighh)

Also i have difficulty with going to bed, never before 1:30 am. And thus i have troubles with getting up early and im at least 15 minutesnlate to my morning classes at 9:30. I'm late even to my classes in my campus. I spend so much time on my phone. Even if not, i find other ways to keep myself or my mind occupied. I have become forgetful as well, i used to memorize dates and names very well but I'm not as good anymore. Also i usually miss the details, that's what my dad always told me.

I really dont want medication because I've been on meds for ocd for a year and it has NOT made me heal like 80%. Also i feel like I'm putting on weight because of it, my weight is healthy but im afraid to pass the point i am at now. And I'm not exactly sure if i have ADHD. What do you guys think

Adhd symptoms must have been present by the age of 12, impair your life in 6 or more ways in 2 or more areas for it to be considered adhd.

kittens9595
10-19-16, 12:26 PM
Adhd symptoms must have been present by the age of 12, impair your life in 6 or more ways in 2 or more areas for it to be considered adhd.

Thanks for replying, not being able to focus is my main problem and I have others too. Though they were not present when I was 12.

kittens9595
10-30-16, 01:49 PM
Sarahsweets said i must show symptoms before 12. Well here i go

Before the age of 12 I was quite short tempered and I'd daydream a lot, i still do. I had always been great at my classes, I'd be distracted easily sometimes though while listening someone. Also i remember one of my teachers in 7th grade saying i never looked like i listened her basically because i wojld look around but once she asked me a question she'd understand that i had been listening. Another thing i remember is that i would walk on the sofas while watching cartoons. Mom always says i used to walk on sofas while watching tv unlike other kids she had seen before.

Now i am a university student and i hate classes, they all are extremely boring to me. I have difficulty on focusing most of them because they're not interesting me. I do my homeworks at the last night, i have a difficulty with completing tasks. Sometimes i can't focus even on the slides my intructors post to my email. Not to mention that I keep forgetting tasks and things. I started forgetting names and dates too, two things i remembered very well for all my childhood and teenage years. Also i hve this recklessness i find weird, i used to be so concerned about my exams but now i can't care less. Also i can't really get into romantic relationships, i don't understand how people let someone else call them "mine" hold hands and stuff, i had a boyfriend last year and i was relieved when he finally broke up with me. So yeah these are the symptoms i can remember (came across to these on websites)

I spend so muchh time online and even if i dont look at my phone i find myself doing irrelevant things. I cannot get into adult life like this, please help me, is this ADHD

Hiddencreations
10-30-16, 02:56 PM
Question for clarification as your 2 most recent post say 2 different things: were symptoms present at age 12?

How many years have you been in college? If you've been in college for a year or more, were these symptoms present last year? Are you studying something you are actually interested in?

It sounds like you're either burnt out from being in the university environment or maybe depression. It's hard to tease out based on what you listed, especially since there seems to be overlap between the two and it's not exactly clear if you would have meet criteria by age 12.

Also, with a lack of sleep (which may be ADHD related or just typical college student) most people would have struggles with focusing, completing tasks, and waking up/reaching destinations on time. You may want to try either an over the counter sleep aid or go to your physician for a sleeping medication. So, then is it sleep hygiene or a disorder? I would try first to regulate your sleep pattern, while waiting for an appointment with a doctor who can evaluate you for a possible disorder.

I don't think anyone on this board can definitively say ADHD is the reason for your problems as there are two many variables and unknowns.

kittens9595
10-30-16, 04:49 PM
Hiddencreations, thanks for your reply. I indeed go to bed at late hours, never earlier than 1:30 am. I somehow manage to find things to do(usually nonsense) and i go to bed late for that reason. I don't think I have depression because all of my sadness comes from either stuff in life or my ocd. And yes, a psychiatrist diagnosed me with ocd and for a whole year she never said i could have depression.

I don't really like what I'm studying but I'm thinking if there's something really interesting, i come up witha few things but im unsure.

Also, im late to even my afternoon classes, i never manage to do things in time.

I have been in college since 2014 fall, i was quite unwilling to study in first 2 years but never as bad as this year.

And in my previous post in first paragraph i talked about my life before i turned 12 and around that time.

Hiddencreations
10-30-16, 07:56 PM
Are you receiving some type of therapy for OCD? Or seeing a psychiatrist?

I know you said they never mentioned depression, did they mention ADHD? If not, then any disorder or cause could be a possibility. Are you able to get an appointment with your past psychiatrist or get a referral for a new evaluation?

Again, given that you have a diagnosis of OCD, there are problems with sleep hygiene, and you don't have an interest in what you are studying--it is hard for anyone here to tease apart what is the cause. A psychiatrist or a psychologist would be your best option for figuring out what exactly is going.

kittens9595
11-01-16, 04:38 PM
^^ Yes I see a therapist for my OCD. I will see them later on this month again after 2 months.

She did not mention ADHD either but I didn't talk about this much then, now next time I visit her I will definitely talk about this in detail.

Also, my ocd subject isn't about hygiene but intrusive thoughts that make everything unbearable to me. So yeah, it's better if I talk to her about my condition about this issue. Thanks for caring!