View Full Version : New Guy Stuff! Advice please

Vibe_Scribe
10-19-16, 11:09 PM
Hey there, I'm new. I should start with about myself. I'm a 24 yr old male whos awaiting ADHD diagnosis. Only recently have a really reached that point where I'm a grown up and I'm ready to admit I may have had a problem my entire life, and it isn't all just me being a maniac.

I've been different my whole life, hyperactive, rebellious, scattered, overly energetic and eccentric, unable to do anything I'm not genuinely interested in with a persistent bad habit of procrastination and general lack of focus or care.

I started drinking and smoking pot about 12.. then got heavily into other harder drugs as I aged. Stimulants were an exceptional favourite DOC because they made me functional, but I done everything to it's limits, it's been a roller-coaster life style obviously with it's fair share of negatives.

For the past 7-8 months I've been clean of everything apart from pot and serious about getting my **** sorted.

I talked to a doctor about depression and anxiety and was put on a waiting list to see a new doctor while in the mean time given a prescription of antidepressants.

After having 1 fluoxetine and feeling disgusting for 6 days straight I never took them again however I'm still pretending to take them at this time. It was my only option at the time. N

Now I'm seeing a new doctor who is actually cool and even gave me melatonin to help me sleep. Hes willing to do a referal for me if i can provide him the following

Collateral longitudinal account(s) from family member(s) suggestive the symptoms began during child hood and have persisted through out life.
School statements/teacher's reports suggestive of ADHD symptoms
Longitudinal evidence of moderate to server psychological, social and/or educational or occupational impairment which can be attributed exclusively to ADHD symptoms.
History of any concurrent use of illicit drugs or past history of significant substance misuse, and forensic history. (We've discussed this)

Also some blood tests to full psychical examinations and required.

My doctor acknowledge that getting a adhd person to get all this stuff is sort of like getting a asthma patient to run a marathon. I REALLY FEEL HES RIGHT! :( It's been months now I and I still haven't wrote a single thing.

Finally progress, the first thing is done yay! The second isn't even possible in my home nation I'm afraid, none of it was kept and the schools didn't keep electronic records when i was a child/in school.

Now the third on the list..

Even though i was smart and actually put a year foward with older kids I was very rebellious. My first day of school I remember hiding from the teacher all day and completely disrupting the class for entire day before being isolated. I was in trouble alot. I eventually got pulled out due to pressure from the school. And then suspended multiple times in a short period at my new school until I got to highschool, where I made it a whole 7 months before being expelled and forced to do correspondence work for awhile. Then i done multiple temerity courses without completing any. I've also had a ton of jobs, I'm a good worker and employers know that, I just haven't been all that reliable due to many factors, my own ignorance and hedonism perhaps. Infact the longest i ever held down a job was when I was in the perils of meth dependency funnily enough. Theres alot of stuff in life im just uncapable of targeting and gathering myself together to do, but I've been really working on it lately. Becoming a better person and partner to my gf, also a better member of my family.

Anywho, my doctor is getting annoyed with me because I haven't got him the evidence yet. I thought coming on a forum like I used to when I was younger might actually make this happen. I haven't really written anything In a long time.

Can someone please give me some advice or guidance regarding providing this evidence. (Wow this took me over an hour)

Tetrahedra
10-20-16, 12:31 AM
I honestly don't know what that third one is even asking for. You've already got people vouching for you. You can't get school records. So what sort of hard evidence can they possibly expect?

Unless they don't need evidence and I'm misreading you. Are they looking for stories from your past?

Also hello and welcome to the forum.

Vibe_Scribe
10-20-16, 01:11 AM
Are they looking for stories from your past?

Also hello and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah they want a big list of stories I guess?

Tetrahedra
10-20-16, 05:28 PM
That's understandable then. One of the things that helps me is to read other people's stories and see what comes to mind for myself. Not in the way that I'm comparing myself to them ("I did/did not experience that, so I do/don't have ADHD.") But sometimes it jolts my memory and I remember an incident that I could use as evidence for myself. It might not even be related.

For example, I had a terrible time with tests that have a time limit. That's something that goes hand-in-hand with ADHD. Maybe you had trouble with this, or maybe you didn't. But perhaps this helps prompt in your mind some time or some type of test/project that really was challenging for you. Why was it challenging? Was it a repeated activity or a one-time event?

It might be most helpful to skim through the forums and see what sort of stories people share. Again, it's not to compare yours to theirs but to help you see what sort of evidence your doctor is looking for.

sarahsweets
10-21-16, 02:46 AM
The burden of "proof" shouldnt be so dependent on other things. Most people cant get school reports or even someone to share info about a childhood with doctors so I dont understand what he wants. You should just write down all of your struggles and how they impair you and go from there.

Vibe_Scribe
10-26-16, 11:09 PM
It might be most helpful to skim through the forums and see what sort of stories people share. Again, it's not to compare yours to theirs but to help you see what sort of evidence your doctor is looking for.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still struggling with this, I'm trying to do a write up now even though I've left it way to long i know i keep putting it off/getting distracted somehow or another.

I keep looking around the forum and seeing alot of confused people and getting distracted by other sections. Can someone point me where about in the the forum i can find some stories and problems I can use to help me jolt myself to write my own stories.

I feel this is sort of unfair, my doctor expects me to do an essay for him before he will even give me a referral.

dvdnvwls
10-27-16, 12:50 AM
Doctors have a justifiable fear of all use of any kind of drugs by their patients. I don't blame him for asking for this. I also don't blame you for having great difficulty doing it.

Basically, this is what shows him that you are worth taking a risk on.

Tetrahedra
10-27-16, 12:51 AM
It does seem a little counter-intuitive that he'd require a person who can't concentrate to sit down and concentrate.

The section that is the most helpful is General ADD Talk http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

If it helps, you can always list your symptoms here.

Jeftheginger
10-27-16, 12:59 AM
I have direct evidence from depot card comments that say WILL NOT SHUT UP or VERY BAD TIME MANEGMENT or DISTRACTED EASILY . If you do not have report cards maybe you have a teacher that is still alive that could vouch for you.

Pilgrim
10-27-16, 07:13 AM
Your from New Zealand I gather, I'm Aussie, if I read your post right I would go to the schools where you had dramas.

They would have wrote reports you have never seen, Trust me.

Little Missy
10-27-16, 07:25 AM
Your from New Zealand I gather, I'm Aussie, if I read your post right I would go to the schools where you had dramas.

They would have wrote reports you have never seen, Trust me.

Summer Heights High?

Pilgrim
10-27-16, 08:58 AM
Summer Heights High?

Those were the days:)