View Full Version : Motivation to study

mentalmama24
10-20-16, 02:12 PM
I have the hardest time finding the motivation to get up out of bed and study. It's hard to explain but it's like I know that it's going to be hard and that I'll get frustrated, which always results in me being upset and angry at myself, and I don't want to be upset so I just try to avoid it as long as I possibly can. Then I beat myself up even more for being lazy and all these worst case scenarios of me failing college plays in my head. It's like a never ending cycle of self defeating behavior. I know that a lot of people would say to me, well then why don't you just get up and do it, but it's so much easier said than done. Sorry if i'm rambling and if no one cares, but I'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem? Any advice, tips, even personal stories? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

namazu
10-20-16, 03:13 PM
A few thoughts...

1. Are you being treated for ADHD (and/or any other conditions, like depression or anxiety, that often accompany it and can contribute to motivation and initiation problems)? If so, how well do you feel the treatment is working? Maybe there's room for improvement there.

2. What are your reasons for taking the course(s) you're taking now? Seeking a college degree? Need a certification/credential for a specific job? Other? Write it down and put it somewhere you can see it to remind you why you're doing it.

3. Breaking down the task can help with feelings of being overwhelmed, which can help reduce frustration/anxiety/etc. It's easier said than done, and many ADHDers struggle with it. For me, one thing that helps is figuring out the very first step, and focusing on that.

So, rather than, "Write this paper!" or even "Write an outline, find references, read and summarize them, write section about X, write section about Y..." (which is overwhelming), it can be helpful to figure out that the first thing to do is "Review the assignment handout" or even "Open up a blank file in word processor". Sometimes that can help break through the giant wall that seems to appear when I'm staring down a big project.

You can do something similar with time instead of tasks. Instead of "Study for 2 hours", try "Read for 5 minutes". You can even set a timer so that you know when 5 minutes is up and take a break. Then set it again. Keeping the interval short makes it less intimidating. If you find that once you get started, you're able to go a bit longer, then you can certainly do it, but even committing to 5 minutes is a start...and repeated, it adds up.

Baby steps, not giant leaps for mankind...

4. Is there a disability services office on campus? Have you been in touch with them? Even if you don't need accommodations in class, there may be people there who could give you some personalized pointers, and/or there may be tutoring services or other study skills support available to students with disabilities.

5. If there are friendly people in your classes, consider trying to form a study group. (Or see if any already exist and would welcome you.) It can be easier to get motivated with other people who have the same goal, and bouncing ideas off each other and explaining things to each other and asking questions can be a good way to learn.

Good luck!

Mr.focus
11-04-16, 12:01 AM
I was not the best student in the world.I was really average. I was not studying hard and not paying attention in class, you can get the picture.

My technique to have one of the best grade in physic in math (average of 96%) was unhealthy and i don't really advise that if it's a really exam that you can't fail. I suck in english thoo.

I began to study the day before the exam. But, i'll prepare my mind every day of the school, i was prerare mentaly to hyperfocus for 14-16 hours straigh on studiyng weeks before my studying day would come.

What i would do, i would be so stress that i did no do anything and my stress become my motivation. I was not happy, it's a painful process. This was the way i studied for years boring stuff.

Hope you enjoy

BTW, i'm not a professional so maybe this technique won't work for you.

MickeMouseFan
11-06-16, 12:42 AM
Try studying and listening to enjoyable music at the same time. Turn down the volume so that it doesn't distract you, but that you can still hear it in the background.

In study, as in life, doing boring things with music playing really makes the experience more fun.

oscurochu
11-12-16, 01:46 AM
I was not the best student in the world.I was really average. I was not studying hard and not paying attention in class, you can get the picture.

My technique to have one of the best grade in physic in math (average of 96%) was unhealthy and i don't really advise that if it's a really exam that you can't fail. I suck in english thoo.

I began to study the day before the exam. But, i'll prepare my mind every day of the school, i was prerare mentaly to hyperfocus for 14-16 hours straigh on studiyng weeks before my studying day would come.

What i would do, i would be so stress that i did no do anything and my stress become my motivation. I was not happy, it's a painful process. This was the way i studied for years boring stuff.

Hope you enjoy

What I am about to say is sort of off topic, but somehow this post makes complete sense to me. I am trying to learn how to deal with my ADHD, and it is a lot harder to deal with whet I'm not on my meds. I never want to take medication again, because I do not like the way I feel when I am on it. I feel like my ADHD stems from me wanting to do fun and interesting things all the time. Right now, my interest is finance, and the stock market. This wouldn't be so bad if I were actively learning about it. Although I am learning about the stock market, I am not really learning anything. I am reading news about the market, and not learning about the market itself. I plan to major in accounting and finance, and get my CPA after I get my masters. Everything I am allowing myself to be distracted by is all very relevant and important to me, so it's hard for me to say no to all of it.

This quote relates to me, because I feel like that's exactly what I need to do. I need to completely embrace the boring-ness of school, and forget about all the drama, noise, distractions, etc.. The way you explain what you do as a painful process that you aren't happy with, if I can manage to do what you describe, it would bring me so much more happiness and so much less pain to me. Stress was my motivation when i began college over the summer when I was on my meds, and just because I'm not on my meds doesn't mean I shouldn't still let myself me driven my stress. I am very good at school when I am focused. I have never been focused though, never cared to focus. I have just always done the bare minimum, whatever was necessary to get a B or a C, and an occasional A in high school. I don't know if it is because I am ADHD, but it sure does make sense to me that me being ADHD is the reason I have made the choices I've made. Maybe if I can just change my mind set, I can make new choices. If I made it this far in life, I can do anything. I don't know why, but I doubt myself a lot. My biggest obstacle is resisting the urge to take a nap in the middle of studying. I'm pretty sure it's not narcolepsy, because it only happens when I am alone. I don't get random urges to take a nap and sleep all day when I am out and doing things. It also happens when I come home from work. I don't know how any of this relates to what I began this post with, but accounting is boring, and if I can't accept how boring school is, I'll never be an accountant and that's just me being realistic. Me curing my ADHD basically requires me to teach myself to be bored all the time.

Anyways, to the OP, I totally feel your struggle. I hate hate hate doing homework, I would rather be doing anything else, and habitually put off my homework second by second, watching time pass by me. My homework is opened up on one tab of google chrome, and what I am doing is in the next tab, and my homework is just staring right at me screaming "do me, do me," and im just all like "no this is more fun, i'll do that later when what i am doing now stops being interesting" and then next thing i know its friday, i wanna go hang out with my friends, but i was too busy watching the stock market earlier in the week that im stuck at home on the weekends instead. its awful.

Fuzzy12
11-12-16, 03:31 AM

Hope you enjoy

That's how I got by too. I was lucky that I didn't have a big problem with anxiety when I was younger but I could.really only anxiety tidy the day and night before an important exam. And I did get stressed at that time. I still do most ofy work l8kr thst and now I'm always stressed

Midwest_ADHD
11-12-16, 05:48 PM
Hi,

Lucky I saw this post ! Looking for a (not too early) morning person to motivate each other.

What really works for me is pomodoro With people on Skype.. TOTALLY procrastinate and ignore it without the 'hand holding'.

Read my post and if you want to join, I'd be thrilled.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181346

ADDon1
11-12-16, 06:05 PM
A technique I discovered during my study, and which helped me a lot to finish it, was to make every subject extremely interesting to myself. It's like reprogramming your mind, 'tricking' yourself to believe that a certain subject is the most interesting thing in the world at that moment.

I told myself this every day multiple times (try to be convincing!) to the point that it was fun to start again next day. Fun is what you need! Try to find cool things in the required readings which you can 'connect' with. Connecting can be easier when imagination is used. Most of us have lots of it, so use it!

You'll be surprised how much positive input can do to your brain. Even a turd can be mighty interesting if you look at it the right way :D