View Full Version : My boss/supervisor is hyperactive ADD and I'm inattentive ADD.

Lloyd_
10-20-16, 10:20 PM
Anyone else here inattentive ADD with an ADHD boss? The most difficult is the fact I like to keep a consistent but steady pace whereas he's go go go. It's not that I'm a slow worker whereas I like to think things through and in fact it DOES take me a bit longer to get going on something but I do finish everything in a timely and thorough manner.

The problem is when he gets me off guard and starts piling verbal instructions to where he's too much in a hurry to explain things specifically and I don't react in time because I'm on autopilot and so of course information gets scrambled and is where I get an ear full as a result.

Luckily I can overcompensate and make up for the bad days where I'll get an "attaboy" from him but other people I work with usually interpret the situation as the boss just overreacting which he is very manic but I sorta like being around people like this, it gives me motivation and perhaps he puts up with me because I don't give him any attitude or try to argue with him and I think conflict is something he's used to getting in with people. :lol:

What's your take on this situation?

Pilgrim
10-28-16, 04:03 PM
I've found in this situation as long as the situation flows along everything will be fine, it will be worse if tempers are frayed.

stef
10-28-16, 06:56 PM
I'm'glad this thread popped back because its totally my situation!
will write mire tomorrow, it's quite late here

dvdnvwls
10-28-16, 07:08 PM
My opinion is a lot like Pilgrim's. In a crisis, you two might conquer like maniac heroes - or you might get on each other's nerves, ruin each other's rhythm, and "crash and burn". So try to be prepared, and also try to stay out of crisis mode if at all possible.

Pilgrim
10-29-16, 06:55 PM
' stay out of crisis mode ', that's what I did, I moved jobs recently just for the fact we started to rub each other the wrong way.

I was working as hard as I could and this was this guys management style. Funny thing was this guy was making money hand over fist.

I could get another job in this area, and this guy was pettifogging every little thing, time to jet.
One thing that I found ironic this guy had been doing this for years, I was happy enough cause I got the experience I needed, but a lot of anxiety at the end.

Lloyd_
10-29-16, 10:58 PM
My opinion is a lot like Pilgrim's. In a crisis, you two might conquer like maniac heroes - or you might get on each other's nerves, ruin each other's rhythm, and "crash and burn". So try to be prepared, and also try to stay out of crisis mode if at all possible.

It can be annoying dealing with an ADHD type boss because when you do everything to cover your *** you are still wrong regardless but having somebody who is hyperactive gets me going and motivated. I normally don't lose my temper, it's my other coworker who has the temper who gets into it with him and I'm sort of the mediator between the two. :lol:

stef
10-30-16, 02:46 AM
my take on the situation, is that ly boss is very likely adhd and works super fast
while i can too, I " appear " calm so he thinks i'm not.
i work in a law firm say he needs documents scanned and really i do this immediately and then il back at my desk putting scanned doc into an email and he will call right then or send an email saying scans asap.

when its busy i have to physically slow down or i get very clumsy and bring wrong papers or hit print without correcting something so either way he gets angry.
for ages i thought my outer calm was reassuring ( and it was, in the other law firm where was before), with but he said i was " too zen" so now i even pretend to rush around.
if i dont answer an email he will reforward in one minute.

i also have the verbal instruction thing i wont understand what he ( or anyone) even said in the firtst place and then really he yells

the yelling potential makes me a nervous wreck some days so i tend to make more quite stupid mistakes

its not personal he is like this with everyone.

but then there are othe things that i do well and fast that make up for this like projects with a clear deadline; getting info online and writing a summary, proofreading a long email to a client ( he is french and his english is excellent but theres always some weird thing with prepositions out of place or wrong word or plurals on adjectives etc)

he's mega organized though. yet he thinks of everything at once so you have to be adhd to even follow his train of thought in the first place!

weve gotten into shouting matches and you really have to push me to make me angry. yet well ive been doing this for 9 yrs tho. hes also said hes so demanding cause he wants me to improve.

Lloyd_
10-30-16, 02:52 AM
my take on the situation, is that ly boss is very likely adhd and works super fast
while i can too, I " appear " calm so he thinks i'm not.
i work in a law firm say he needs documents scanned and really i do this immediately and then il back at my desk putting scanned doc into an email and he will call right then or send an email saying scans asap.

when its busy i have to physically slow down or i get very clumsy and bring wrong papers or hit print without correcting something so either way he gets angry.
for ages i thought my outer calm was reassuring ( and it was, in the other law firm where was before), with but he said i was " too zen" so now i even pretend to rush around.
if i dont answer an email he will reforward in one minute.

i also have the verbal instruction thing i wont understand what he ( or anyone) even said in the firtst place and then really he yells

the yelling potential makes me a nervous wreck some days so i tend to make more quite stupid mistakes

its not personal he is like this with everyone.

but then there are othe things that i do well and fast that make up for this like projects with a clear deadline; getting info online and writing a summary, proofreading a long email to a client ( he is french and his english is excellent but theres always some weird thing with prepositions out of place or wrong word or plurals on adjectives etc)

he's mega organized though. yet he thinks of everything at once so you have to be adhd to even follow his train of thought in the first place!

weve gotten into shouting matches and you really have to push me to make me angry. yet well ive been doing this for 9 yrs tho. hes also said hes so demanding cause he wants me to improve.

Sounds like my situation. :lol:

stef
10-30-16, 03:12 AM
Thanks! im glad you posted that, i've been meaning to write that out for some time now, in this section. omg also theres this paradox of him saying double check everything so im proofreading ( line by line, with a ruler) then he calls and says are you almost done??? that should have been done ages ago!!!

also he has the same tendancy to write wrong dates etc and hes really hard on himself ( he talks to himself as he types and wow is he mean , to himself! l)so when i do this it infuriates him. also he sends emails to wrong ppl sometimes because of that autofill thing. i love when i catch his rare mistakes and kindly point them out ( gloating internally !) theres one he made that i've saved as "ammo" if i get over- yelled at someday.

Little Missy
10-30-16, 07:22 AM
Love the "wants you to improve" thing...I'd be yelling back, "Nine years baby, this is as good as it gets!"

The ammo save is genius. :cool:

stef
10-30-16, 08:23 AM
No but he genuinely means that.
Maybe ive posted this before: 2 or 3 yrs ago i finally said look if you dont want me to work for you just say so but stop making my life miserable and he was totally surprised and said "no, i dont you to quit i want you to do better!"

Also hes given great advice on proofreading and checking things.
Except also,never the time to actually apply it!

Lloyd_
10-30-16, 02:27 PM
No but he genuinely means that.
Maybe ive posted this before: 2 or 3 yrs ago i finally said look if you dont want me to work for you just say so but stop making my life miserable and he was totally surprised and said "no, i dont you to quit i want you to do better!"

Also hes given great advice on proofreading and checking things.
Except also,never the time to actually apply it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm working with some of the best guys in my trade around. He just demands perfection but doesn't always give best verbal directions and I don't always have the best listening skills so I always have to get him to repeat himself, not only that but he always changes his mind so asking the same question twice is mandatory. :lol:

dvdnvwls
10-30-16, 06:01 PM
... not only that but he always changes his mind so asking the same question twice is mandatory. :lol:
Ask three times, and take the average. :D

Lloyd_
11-08-16, 06:06 PM
Ask three times, and take the average. :D

Some days like today it can be hectic because no matter what you do it's going to be wrong!! :mad: