View Full Version : My method to keep my home organized

Jacksper
10-24-16, 03:31 PM
I have finally managed to organize my home, and, probably more importantly, it seems that I have found a strategy to keepit organized. Keeping my home organized and clean means a lot to me, because if my home is clean, I can enjoy being there, I can work there (I can't work there when it's a mess), I don't lose important items, I can host guests, the list goes on! So, I want to share it with you. Here's how I do it:

1.1 I ask myself to organize my room every day (that I am at home, of course) for 10-25 minutes.
1.2 I do this using the pomodoro method. I estimate how much time I need, and I set a timer that is ticking down. While this timer is going, I don't allow myself to do anything else. I use the "Forest" app to do this. It grows a tree while you are working. I choose a specific kind of tree, so that if I scroll back through my history, I can see how much time I spent cleaning every day. This gamifies my cleaning, I try to maintain my streak. That said, while I want to do some cleaning every day, I aim to minimize the time I spend on it.
1.3. I have a list of tasks that I have to do every day: put my clothes in the bin, put the books in the bookcase, put the trash in the trash bin, put the dishes in the dishpan, putting dried clothes in the closet. I only put things on the list that are worthwhile to do daily. If all of that is done, I am done for the day.
1.4 While cleaning, I am listening to an inspiring video/podcast, that gives me ideas/hope/vision to keep working on improving my life. Music is ok too, if I am more in the mood for that.

2.1 I also ask myself to do a more thorough cleaning every week for 25-50 minutes
2.2 I use the pomodoro method for this too, so that is 1-2 pomodori.
2.3 I have a list for my weekly cleaning tasks too. Vacuuming the floor, cleaning all surfaces, doing the dishes (it's ok if I do that only once a week, I have enough kitchenware), cleaning and hanging my clothes to dry (doing that once a week is enough too).
2.4 Same as 1.4

That's about it. I am really happy that I finally found a way to keep organized that works for me!

I hope you found this interesting. Let me know what you think! :)

WheresMyMind
10-24-16, 06:32 PM
"Anybody can put 20 minutes into organizing" - quote from a book on organizing the ADHD mind. Then, theoretically, if you do that daily, you'll eventually get ALL organized.

I've always had trouble remembering the "daily" part.

Congrats!

john2100
10-24-16, 06:54 PM
"1.3. I have a list of tasks that I have to do every day: put my clothes in the bin, put the books in the bookcase, put the trash in the trash bin, put the dishes in the dishpan, putting dried clothes in the closet. I only put things on the list that are worthwhile to do daily. If all of that is done, I am done for the day"

I have lists and checklist too, but Doing what is really on those lists and not getting distracted , that's a challenge.

And when you say: "If all of that is done ,I am done for the day"
I don't think I could ever do even 1/5 on my lists. My perception of time seems very distorted. Everything takes me so much longer, due to distractions . The only thing that is working without much effort when doing boring chores is multitasking on 2-3 things at a time and cycling around them .

I wish I could finish only one time everything on my list as planned. Especially boring chores.

How are you not getting distracted?

20thcenturyfox
11-15-16, 11:35 AM
...I don't think I could ever do even 1/5 on my lists. My perception of time seems very distorted. Everything takes me so much longer, due to distractions . The only thing that is working without much effort when doing boring chores is multitasking on 2-3 things at a time and cycling around them .

I wish I could finish only one time everything on my list as planned. Especially boring chores....

I, too, wish I could ever get everything done and "be done for the day." I wish I could be as focused and disciplined about things as Jacksper. But TBH I don't think that will ever happen. And dwelling on it will definitely set me on a downward spiral.

I think when I was younger I could goad and berate myself into action. But nowadays, it may seem counterintuitive, but going easy on myself is now the only way I can get anything done. And by that I do mean doing 1/5 of what is on my list, often only 1 or 2 little pieces a day on a bad day. (Oh, and to avoid--or limit-- distraction, I often set a timer (I can wear around my neck) for 10 minutes.)

In fact, I discovered that mentally making excuses for why I have not done something I have been putting off (e.g. that I've just gone through a tough time, that I was busy with something else, that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, etc)--instead of beating myself up over it--often gives me a mysterious push toward getting started, either on that very obstacle or something else that also needs to be done. This is very strange, as I have always looked down on making excuses.

I think this is probably a manifestation of how "self-compassion" can help motivation. Although I hit on it by accident, I now try to use formal "self-compassion meditations to try to figure out and overcome obstacles.

But get through my whole list? It will never happen. I just have to be satisfied with making some small progress. And detach my self-respect from my darn work ethic.