View Full Version : Not sure if i have ADHD

inlovewithmess
10-24-16, 05:12 PM
For some background, I'm studying in the US for college and was raised in SE Asia so ADHD is not well known there.

Basically i don't really think that i have ADHD because i'm doing good in school and uni. I have around 3.6 GPA in engineering.

However, i do find myself able to relate with the symptoms. I couldn't really focus in class especially to listen to the lecturer and i would rather play with my phone and read something or even just space out.
I also very frequently space out in general and when driving. I've crashed the car multiple times because i was not paying attention to the road or was spaced out.

I also cant really grasp long verbal instructions (i was in lab doing machining and forgot about what the instructor told me). My room is always a mess even if i try to keep it tidy. I was always called lazy by my parents because i would forget about chores.

I often make stupid mistakes in exams since the end of primary school and always talking in class or sleeping or just watching people walk by.

I've made an appointment with my school's clinic to talk about this, but i dont want to waste 300 dollars if i seem to be normal.

Honestly, i took 10 mg of adderall from a friend yesterday and it felt great. I could focus on my study for an exam and even felt intrigued by the subject (haven't felt that way since a long time) and the subject became easier to understand (before i felt that the class was super hard). I also felt that i was focused in doing everything and everything seems clear.

ginniebean
10-24-16, 06:23 PM
The symptoms of adhd are those everyone experiences time to time. For people diagnosed with adhd these lapses are severe. Two standard deviations from the norm.

inlovewithmess
10-24-16, 09:07 PM
For some background, I'm studying in the US for college and was raised in SE Asia so ADHD is not well known there.

Basically i don't really think that i have ADHD because i'm doing good in school and uni. I have around 3.6 GPA in engineering.

However, i do find myself able to relate with the symptoms. I couldn't really focus in class especially to listen to the lecturer and i would rather play with my phone and read something or even just space out.
I also very frequently space out in general and when driving. I've crashed the car multiple times because i was not paying attention to the road or was spaced out.

I also cant really grasp long verbal instructions (i was in lab doing machining and forgot about what the instructor told me). My room is always a mess even if i try to keep it tidy. I was always called lazy by my parents because i would forget about chores.

I often make stupid mistakes in exams since the end of primary school and always talking in class or sleeping or just watching people walk by.

I've made an appointment with my school's clinic to talk about this, but i dont want to waste 300-500 dollars if i seem to be normal.

Honestly, i took 10 mg of adderall from a friend yesterday and it felt great. I could focus on my study for an exam and even felt intrigued by the subject (haven't felt that way since a long time) and the subject became easier to understand (before i felt that the class was super hard). I also felt that i was focused in doing everything and everything seems clear.

Also, i'm very talkative to people that im close with. My friends often say that i talk a lot when they get to know me, but not before. My girlfriend also said that i pretty often seem to be not paying attention when she's talking. I also had self esteem problem when i was younger (1st and 2nd grade). Also, i feel overwhelmed almost all the time and had a bit of depression (suicidal thoughts at times).

I often forget about what i wanted to type or say (like this reply).

Can my symptoms be attributed to depression or ADHD? i'll have my appointment on next monday.

inlovewithmess
10-24-16, 09:14 PM
and i have a very unfiltered way of speaking (cursing in everytime i speak). I can't never listen to a song fully, as it would get boring halfway through

Tetrahedra
10-24-16, 10:03 PM
I did decently in college and graduated. Some people with ADHD can make it through grad school and get a PhD.

sarahsweets
10-25-16, 04:40 AM
Taking medication that is not yours isnt a good idea, no matter whether it makes you feel better or not. Someone's response to adhd medication is not indictative of whether or not they have adhd.