View Full Version : Please help, advice needed - poor time management

loveispeace1984
10-24-16, 09:20 PM
Hello,

I'm writing because I am in need of help. I am a very smart person who suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) three years ago. I am still very smart, but a residual side effect is adult ADHD. Specifically, I have terrible time management and memory issues. I completely forget goals, schedules, etc. I never went to the doctors to get my TBI diagnosed. All I had money for at the time was audiological exams. I ended up losing a great deal of my hearing through this accident as well.

This memory and time management deficit is a huge problem because before my injury, I was in grad school to become a librarian. I am now a school librarian, but life is hard. I know cognitively how to prioritize, but no matter how many stickies I write or how many calendars I use, I forget things and get distracted. I forget the darn calendar! I am constantly interrupted at work. Even if I wasn't, I'd be interrupting myself.

Are there any jobs out there for people with poor time management skills? And by this, I mean people who cannot balance their own schedule and the schedules of everyone else (what my job is). My own time is enough.

I'm so tired and sad about feeling incompetent and lazy when I know I am hardworking and smart. I don't know what to do. I never had ADHD as a child (that was my brother), and now that I live a life where I look around and realize I'm not doing what everyone else is expecting me to do, I'm sinking fast. I am beginning to hate myself. I have no family to support me. I'm a foster child who is now a self-supporting adult.

Please help. I have terrible health care and can't afford the cost of getting seen by a doctor that can diagnose. I'm trying to find a career that doesn't require high demands on time management. I know this is what I cannot do well anymore. Please don't tell me to work on it - I have been trying for the last five years. It is definitely a processing issue and working as a librarian is really really hurting me. Thank you so much for any help and support.

Mr.focus
10-30-16, 11:15 AM
I'll have 1 advise for you.

I'm not an expert so take it as absolute.

In your 5 years discovery and process i bet that you develop a bit of self-awareness, you know yourself a bit better. I bet that you know your strengths and weaknesses. If you don't, i'll highly recommend you to look for it.

You don't find a job by looking at what you suck at and avoiding it. You look for a job a emphasis your strength.

I hope it help you.