View Full Version : Anxiety or ADHD.

fastrapidme
10-26-16, 06:01 PM
So, trying to word this right.

It has been suggested I have ADHD however I know it can co-exist with anxiety. I feel like anxiety and rumination are big issues for me, more so than ADHD.

On medication my head feels empty, calm, no anxiety at all (ADHD medication only). My head was so quiet I actually became worried for a second:p

Off medication I always feel anxious, worried and stuck on thoughts. Ruminating such as "is it all going to be ok?", "I hope its all going to be ok?" and even when I get reassurance the thought is back. I feel the thought is stuck even when I have another thought in my mind I feel it only makes the anxious thought quieter. On medication feel like I can let it go.

I often feel at night that my brain is stuck in a thought loop, I go to sleep with a thought stuck in my mind on repeat and awake to the same thought?

I feel this issue is the only one I really struggle to deal with. Its hard to explain clearly and I find it embarrassing as I am typing haha.:o

Example;
We went camping there was a bush fire on the other side of the creek.
My brain "what if the fire comes over the creek and we are trapped"
insert reassurance-
"how would they know, we should go seems plausible fire will cross the river."
reassurance
"bet it will happen when we sleep"
This cycle continues on and I find it distressing and drive myself insane.

ok that is so embarrassing to type, never told anyone.:(

This is a rather disorganized post and I am really not sure what I am trying to achieve. I guess just putting feelers out for everyone's opinion and what you guys experience?

john2100
10-26-16, 07:56 PM
That could be anxiety or both . I have that too,
For example: I would have to check if I left the stove off more times then necessary.
-I would sometimes come back after leaving my house just to double check If I really locked the house...etc
I have never ever left it unlocked,but sometimes I just need to be sure.

I'm not sure how common it is with adhd people but I have it too on or off meds.
Over analyzing and may times focusing on the worst possible outcome even if the chance is very low , I just need to go over it at least one time.

dvdnvwls
10-26-16, 11:12 PM
Anxiety - maybe

ADHD - maybe

OCD - maybe

Combinations of those - maybe

What really matters is how you're affected on a day-to-day basis. Therapy of various kinds can help a lot, depending on the type of problem and on you and the therapist. If a certain medication works, then it works.

BellaVita
10-27-16, 01:13 AM
I relate a lot to your post.

Please don't feel embarrassed - it's good to talk about these things.

You aren't alone. :)

I also get the "going to sleep with a thought and waking up with a thought" thing.

A good idea is to print out your post (copy and paste to a word document if that's easier then print) and show it to your doctor. And write on the page additional symptoms you might want to mention.

Then hand it to the doctor at your next appointment - see what they say.

Hope you can get some relief. :grouphug:

Jeftheginger
10-27-16, 01:17 AM
Anxiety - maybe

ADHD - maybe

OCD - maybe

Combinations of those - maybe

Yea add depresed to that list too.

bubbles24
10-27-16, 04:29 AM
I totally understand where you're coming from! I think a lot of the anxiety stems from adhd and like you when I'm medicated it drifts off and my head is clear and calm. However it'll creep back in once it wears off. Best thing I can suggest is to look into anxiety and get to the root cause (fear of rejection, fear of death etc etc) and think logically about it and question weather it is logical or not each time thoughts creep into your head. It's easier said than done because for me at least the thoughts are a mile a minute and I can't keep up with it. Or when medicated try to write down and address these issues, I find I can think logically when I'm medicated and see the flaws in my normal behavior.

Pilgrim
10-27-16, 07:48 AM
Check out Dr Charles Parker on utube. I think he covers and explains anxiety, where medication helps and where it doesn't. This can be a hinderence to thinking.

The only thing to be careful make sure medication isn't a major instigator of anxiety, big point.
When I'm caught in that loop I get up and just move around, I don't like to let it become an issue.
What's an issue enough is sometimes something will make me anxious and I can't understand why I became anxious about that particular thing. Goodluck.

sarahsweets
10-27-16, 01:22 PM
ADHD can cause or exacerbate anxiety. It makes sense that your meds actually calm you down.

dvdnvwls
10-27-16, 02:22 PM
Check out Dr Charles Parker on utube. I think he covers and explains anxiety, where medication helps and where it doesn't. This can be a hinderence to thinking.That is, being anxious can harm your thinking. Yes.

The only thing to be careful make sure medication isn't a major instigator of anxiety, big point.
Yes, and also no - it depends on the person and their situation. If anxiety is the main problem, the major ADHD medications often just make it worse. But if ADHD is the main problem, then often the ADHD meds indirectly fix the anxiety too. There's no reliable rule though - people just have to find out, with their doctor's guidance.

fastrapidme
10-27-16, 05:39 PM
I took the medication as prescribed early morning, felt a bit tired, very slowed down (not sedated though) and calm. Dead honest though- I don't know if I liked the feeling. Felt more even not as up and down in my moods throughout the day.

Went to sleep and then ended up tossing and turning all night, stuck in thought loops or whatever we will call them...

Thanks to everyone for replying, much appreciated.