View Full Version : Questions About Diagnosis

cristyarline
10-27-16, 12:20 AM
Hey yall! I am new to this website so if I am breaking any norms/rules, please let me know :) So, anyways... I am looking for some advice.

First, my background: I've have ADHD since I was a child but was medicated when I was in HS. However, I was experiencing some pretty horrid symptoms of the medication when I was in my second year of undergraduate. Like, eating issues, anxiety and addiction stuff. Anyways, I went off of them and figured out how to manage school without them, with the help of a therapist. However, I am currently in graduate school and I am hoping to get my doctorate (PHD) and my ADHD is really becoming a barrier for me. Like, I am so busy in school I am forgetting to pay bills and falling into similar patterns that I used to, but PHD school is my dream! So, I would really like to get re diagnosed and get some help again but I get going to doctors and they are all like, "oh it's your anxiety it's fine," Although they say this, I KNOW I need help and I just don't know where to begin again. It just seems like they won't help me at all (getting help as an adult is super hard) Any advice, or people I should reach out to in order to get the help that I need? I could have really used a forum like this in my undergraduate :D

Jeftheginger
10-27-16, 12:43 AM
I have to ask you what medication are you on and what is the dose size, because different medicines affect you differently and you may be more harshly affected by some more than others

Tetrahedra
10-27-16, 12:52 AM
Are they willing to help you out with your anxiety? Are you currently medicated for anxiety, and if you aren't, are you interested in pursuing it?

cristyarline
10-27-16, 11:11 AM
Yes, I am. I have had it since I was in High School. I told the doctor that and she was all like, oh, that is just what you're feeling then. & Idk. She basically told me that adults don't have ADHD and like, I'm just trying to maybe get away from family physicians because they always do that to me :(

ToneTone
10-27-16, 12:43 PM
Try to find a provider who will interview you and listen to you about your symptoms. See if you can find a psychiatrist or a nurse practitioner ... or a general doctor who feels comfortable prescribing psychiatrist medications.

Now here's a problem I encountered at times. I understated my struggles. Here's the thing. You can NOT understate your struggles. You have to go in and express your full level of despair and emptiness and self-criticism and inability to work and focus or whatever. Understating things is a coping strategy for depression and anxiety--it helps us minimize how much trouble we're in etc.--but it is NOT the right strategy for talking to a doctor.

It may seem jarring but really, the doctor asks, "So what brings you here? How are you?"

Literally, your answer needs to be, "Actually I have been feeling really bad, sometimes I feel terrible. I can't concentrate. I think I have ADHD and my focus isn't allowing me to finish work or run errands," etc.

Doctors and providers actually appreciate such directness, because otherwise, they don't think they can give you high-quality treatment. And doctors and therapists read our "affects" as well as listen to the words, and if we don't seem in that much distress, they're not parents who will spend an hour trying to pull it out of us. Indeed, what you want to have prepared is a detailed explanation of when you can't concentrate, and how long each day ... and what thoughts go through your head and what problems are occurring in your life. Be really specific and detailed ... and you'll get a response of some kind.

Also get to therapy. In my experience, Ph.D programs drive almost everyone to the brink of despair. There seems to a point at which everyone doubts that they are smart enough. People think their current project will fail or they can't complete it and thus their career path was wrong and thus their life will be a failure.

The only exceptions to this despair, in my experience, are people in really well defined programs with advisors who help people focus on highly structured and well defined research problems. You don't say what field you are in. But in my experience, almost all humanities grad students need therapy and a high number of social science grad students need it as well. Those fields seem to attract people who think a lot and ruminate a lot and question themselves a lot ... and all those habits are openings for depression.

And a therapist is a great place to start in strategizing about getting medications. Start with the mental health people at your university. I'm sure there are folks there. Know that you're under enormous pressure, and that thinking clearly and creatively under such pressure is REALLY hard to do. That's why meeting with other people is great.

Good luck.

Tone

sarahsweets
10-27-16, 01:09 PM
Hey yall! I am new to this website so if I am breaking any norms/rules, please let me know :) So, anyways... I am looking for some advice.

First, my background: I've have ADHD since I was a child but was medicated when I was in HS. However, I was experiencing some pretty horrid symptoms of the medication when I was in my second year of undergraduate. Like, eating issues, anxiety and addiction stuff. Anyways, I went off of them and figured out how to manage school without them, with the help of a therapist. However, I am currently in graduate school and I am hoping to get my doctorate (PHD) and my ADHD is really becoming a barrier for me. Like, I am so busy in school I am forgetting to pay bills and falling into similar patterns that I used to, but PHD school is my dream! So, I would really like to get re diagnosed and get some help again but I get going to doctors and they are all like, "oh it's your anxiety it's fine," Although they say this, I KNOW I need help and I just don't know where to begin again. It just seems like they won't help me at all (getting help as an adult is super hard) Any advice, or people I should reach out to in order to get the help that I need? I could have really used a forum like this in my undergraduate :D

Get a copy of your medical records that notes your diagnosis and what med you were on. Most doctors appreciate that info and not to many like to trash a previous doctor's diagnosis.