View Full Version : Food texture hypersensitivity

brandnewvibe
05-27-05, 12:24 PM
I posted this in the "nutrition" forum before realizing that this is probably a much better place for it.

Until I was about 2 years old, I had no problem eating anything my mother would feed me. Then, one day, something "clicked," and suddenly, a wide variety of foods became intolerable.

This has continued to this day. The "acceptable" and "unacceptable" foods have never changed, in those 22 years.

It has become clear to me that the issue has to do with the texture of the foods rather than their taste. For example, tomato sauce (with no chunks) is great, but I could not eat a whole tomato. Fruit-flavored drinks and candies are fine, but fruit itself is impossible. Cooked meat is fine, but undercooked meat is intolerable.

There is something about a particular kind of "squishy" texture that is intolerable to me. I cannot help but gag. The thought of eating one of the offending foods is truly sickening, to the point that I am not sure I would be able to do it even if my life depended on it. My negative associations are so strong that even having a bowl of fruit on the table when I eat is very disturbing--the smell particularly, but also the sight, is truly revolting.

I'm sorry if the emotions and images I'm conjuring up are disturbing. I'm trying to give an accuate picture of the situation, though.

I read somewhere on the web, in a not-so-reliable-seeming source, that food texture hypersensitivity is higher among people with ADD than others. I was wondering if anyone here has the same issues I do with food texture. I have met one other person who is *exactly* the same as I am in this dimension--we have precisely the same list of excluded items.

I haven't had any luck getting over this problem with Adderall or Wellbutrin (not that I was expecting to), but I was wondering if anyone has found anything that can help. It would be really great if going out to dinner became a pleasure rather than a stressful experience, and it would be really great if I could start eating healthy vegetables rather than just taking supplements.

livinginchaos
05-30-05, 06:45 AM
Brandnewvibe:

I've been a picky eater since I started eating solid foods. I know my pickiness is related to textures. I cannot eat broccoli or zucchini, I like spaghetti, but cannot eat tomatoes, . . etc. Most of my food issues are because of 2 textures within one food item.

Some suggestions:

I make myself try food I have never had or food I haven't tried in a while. As I've gotten older, I've been able to add new or newly retried foods to my repertoire - such as squash, sweet potatoes, falafel, salsa (with a small amount of chunky veggies). I even tried Calamari this weekend (fish is one of those foods I don't like at all.), which wasn't horrible.

You can try behavior modification, using positive reinforcement. For example, everytime you eat 2 bites of spaghetti, with some small chunks of tomatoes in the sauce, you get a bite of a favorite food. If you think you won't like a food - try it anyway. I really didn't want to try Calamari this weekend - but I made myself (and as a reward - got a shot of tequila :) and it wasn't too bad. I tried a falafel in NYC (I was a bit timid to try - because I don't enjoy most vegetables) and loved it. I promptly came home and made it for myself.

You could make a smoothie with fruit, that way you'll get the nutrients.

Plug your nose. Smell and taste are completely related. If you plug your nose, usually you can't taste the food.

I eat un-ripened nectarines, bananas, pears.

The more I open up to trying new foods, the less aversive I am to the food I thought I didn't like.

me, myself, and I think that ADD and sensory issues tend to go hand in hand, some people having more issues than others.

Best wishes!

brandnewvibe
06-05-05, 02:53 AM
I appreciate the kind words and advice.

Regards

neuroangel
07-18-05, 10:37 PM
I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. I can't stand crunchy vegies, drippy burgers, bread that is too dry, jell-o, chunks of tomato in my sauce, etc. I gag, choke, and so on. Not pleasant.

Cyndi

happycat
09-25-05, 05:43 PM
hehhehe... Until I was diagnosed and started doing research on ADD, I had no idea that food texture was an ADD thing-- I just thought I was a bit wierd :) But I've realized that I can sometimes mix a small amount of the food into whatever I'm eating (b/c its not the taste that bothers me, just the feel in my mouth). I can't stand sqishy things either or foods that feel a bit grainy (like some ravioli mixes, etc.) I was wondering-- beside the texture thing, do you have problems touching each other? Like, when I eat, I end up using a couple of plates for different foods, b/c I can't stand having them touch each other---drove my mom nuts when I was a kid :)

Jaycee
09-30-05, 07:26 PM
"Texture Eating" is a sensory issue that is high in ADHD because we process information diffrently from the norm. It is also high with other diagnosis..autism spectrum being one.
Some people only like spicey foods or foods with a bland taste. My brother cannot stand anything too cold..he always digs ice out of his drinks and lets his icecream get mushy.
I like anything spicey (ketchup is on the spicey list by the way). And certain food textures are not even up for consideration...usually grainy textures, or mixed textures.

One of the things they use for kids are small oral vibrators or even vibrating teething chews. For adults using vibrating toothbrush will also be a good thing, but brush your entire mouth not just the gum and teeth areas. This does help if you have a strong gag reflex.

hypergeek2
10-01-05, 10:13 PM
i cant stand any of my food touching each other, and i can't stand sauce on my food. I drove my folks crazy growing up. I would rinse off a steak before eating it rathr then eat the bbq suace.

fortuntely my wife understands, she keeps my stuff seperate.

theres certain foods i also wont eat bcause of there texture. I always thought that was just me, and im glad to see theres others who feel that way to.

Jaycee
10-01-05, 10:15 PM
And I thought I was the only person that washed cooked foods....lol

mctavish23
10-02-05, 12:22 AM
The Out of Sync Child ...by Carol Stock Kranowitz is a great book regarding Sensory Integration Disorder and kids.

For adults, getting a referral for an Occupational Therapy evaluation is usually the first step to a diagnosis.

I've been thru OT twice as an adult and had a blast.It was difficult for me tho, due to the severity of the problem.

I don't have any food texture sensitivities but my OT friend has told me there are excercises for that.

I do include the question of food sensitivity in my sensory screening;especially as it relates to kids who have trouble swallowing pills.

Good luck.:)

crime_scene
10-02-05, 02:08 AM
Food must be eaten in order: hot egg things, hot veggies, potato, meat(if not veg), salads/cold food, and preferably do not get intermixed unless you are already eating a casserole and it's expected.

When I ate meat routinely, liver was out because it was liver and because it felt illegal in my mouth. I also loathed liver pate and any meat that bounced (e.g. calamari).

But I'm a bit quirky on food since the beginning. I like to blame it on the fact that my mother tried to get me to stop breast feeding onto cow milk which I was allergic to and then I had to switch again to soy and therefore developed a whole "complex" around it.

pompomjojo
08-09-06, 03:19 PM
I have just found this site. I can't believe there are people that have the same "issues" as me. I can't eat fruit or vegetables- anything that you have to crunch to bite into it but is actually juice, really upsets me. Prime example is a tomato. Or an apple even. I also have a problem with cold food. I can't eat something that is usually served warm when it's cold. It always has to be boiling hot. I won't ever eat meat if it's not charcoal burnt- if there's any form of red blood juice coming out of it, I won't eat it. If vegetables have been anywhere on my plate I won't eat a thing off it. Salad is particularly upsetting. The white / wet / greenness of it all is excruciatingly painful for me to deal with. I am incredibly weird, I realise this. No foreign food has ever passed my lips- chinese, japanese, thai- there's jut too many different textures and flavours involved. I ordered a hamburger the other day and my friend tried it and mentioned she thought it tasted like lamb. I threw up and wouldn't touch it again. What is wrong with me? I have never been diagnosed with ADD though, do I have that too?

Crazy~Feet
08-09-06, 04:59 PM
I can find a single lima bean in any dish simply by its texture. EW!

Crazy :cool:

dormammau2008
08-11-06, 09:24 AM
most .....>> things tast bland to me the things that dont are over powering dorm

pickyeater1
09-25-06, 07:00 PM
I have the same exact symptoms. I use to eat every single thing as a child up until about 3 years old. What I don't get is that I use to be able to eat sardines and mustard as a child, but now I can't even look at a piece of fish or smell mustard at all. I can probably list about 30-40 things I can eat without gagging. I gag at everything I don't like and cannot help it. Everything must be hot or overcooked. I love pizza, but cannot have the cheese soft or undercooked. I like pepperoni and that is it (or just cheese). I too don't like spaghetti sauce with any chunks in it, only just the sauce. There is not one vegetable that I can eat. The only fruit I can eat is blended, very blended and nothing green. Only reds and orange colored fruits. I can only eat chicken as a meat source and it has to be very cooked. And if I hit a chord or a bone, you better move because everything I ate will come right back up. And if I eat chicken, I must have a lot of BBQ sauce, no exceptions. I love hot dogs but absolutely hate brats or sausages. I can only eat hamburger in a meat taco and that is it (of course with a lot of hot sauce). I can eat no white sauces, only reds. I.E. BBQ sauce and French dressing. It is tearing my life apart. I am always the topic of discussion when eating out with someone I don't know and I am always getting made fun of. I understand people don't get it, but I too don't get how they can eat half the stuff they do. I am definately making an appointment with a doctor after reading these posts. Maybe there is some help out there. Thank you all for your posts, this helps greatly.:)

Crazygirl79
09-26-06, 02:37 AM
Hey Pickyeater.

I too have had food issues, for example it took me until I was 17 to eat mashed potato comfortably but I could eat mashed pumpkin without a problem, I dislike foods that drip such as oranges, watermelons, some burgers depending on whats on them and I hate spilling food on my skin as it feels horrid, however since I've grown up I'm able to tolerate these little issues a lot better now.

My advice is to do some research on Sensory Integration Disorder otherwise known as Sensory Processing Disorder (which is what I have as well as ADHD etc) and perhaps get some sort of diagnosis and treatment.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

((Hugs))
Selena:)

sturg1dj
08-11-08, 03:01 AM
I just stumbled onto this thread on this site and it amazes me. Everyone in my family has always treated me like I was weird (they also never believed that I had ADD until I was 24 and got checked out on my own).

For me

1) Food cannot touch
2) if multiple foods, I need to eat each part separate. Like Fries first, followed by burger
3) I cannot handle certain textures...these include most veggies and fruits...so you can imagine how healthy I am. I eat a burger it needs to be plain. I eat pizza it cannot have veggies. I like the taste of onions, but I cannot bite through a piece of onion on a pizza.

the smoothie idea is a great one...I need to buy a blender now...haha

its amazing how much of a relief this is to me...haha. knowing that there are more people like me...and it also angers me that this monkey on my back (ADD) is making my life even harder than I originally thought.

now I am off to really look over these forums and see what else I need to know!

Ravenna
08-11-08, 03:20 AM
I posted this in the "nutrition" forum before realizing that this is probably a much better place for it.

Until I was about 2 years old, I had no problem eating anything my mother would feed me. Then, one day, something "clicked," and suddenly, a wide variety of foods became intolerable.

This has continued to this day. The "acceptable" and "unacceptable" foods have never changed, in those 22 years.

It has become clear to me that the issue has to do with the texture of the foods rather than their taste. For example, tomato sauce (with no chunks) is great, but I could not eat a whole tomato. Fruit-flavored drinks and candies are fine, but fruit itself is impossible. Cooked meat is fine, but undercooked meat is intolerable.

There is something about a particular kind of "squishy" texture that is intolerable to me. I cannot help but gag. The thought of eating one of the offending foods is truly sickening, to the point that I am not sure I would be able to do it even if my life depended on it. My negative associations are so strong that even having a bowl of fruit on the table when I eat is very disturbing--the smell particularly, but also the sight, is truly revolting.

I'm sorry if the emotions and images I'm conjuring up are disturbing. I'm trying to give an accuate picture of the situation, though.

I read somewhere on the web, in a not-so-reliable-seeming source, that food texture hypersensitivity is higher among people with ADD than others. I was wondering if anyone here has the same issues I do with food texture. I have met one other person who is *exactly* the same as I am in this dimension--we have precisely the same list of excluded items.

I haven't had any luck getting over this problem with Adderall or Wellbutrin (not that I was expecting to), but I was wondering if anyone has found anything that can help. It would be really great if going out to dinner became a pleasure rather than a stressful experience, and it would be really great if I could start eating healthy vegetables rather than just taking supplements.
THANKYOU!!!!

Ive tried to explain why I wont eat seafood because I dont like the way it feels in my mouth or to chew....its got NOTHING to do with flavour....the 'mouth feel' is enough to make me gag....swallowing it is just so far out of the question its ridiculous... I think I could successfully amputate a limb with a rusty spoon as a preferable alternative.

So this is a normal thing in ADD then? I just thought I was really strange....

Bellababe
01-31-09, 06:50 PM
Im 18 years old and i've always thought i was a freak. i can't eat fruites or veggies or meat or hardly anything because the way it feels in my moulth freaks me out . i bassicly surivive on crackers.
i want to thank everyone who posted on this forum for showing me im not alone and giving the strength to seek help.

dormammau2008
02-01-09, 08:06 PM
warmwellcomes bellbabe your most wellcome we alot alike here on the fourms dorm

dani_hatcher
02-21-09, 03:48 AM
My name is Dani and I'm 20...I have always known there was something keeping me from eating certain foods...My family does not know how I survive with only eating a small variety of foods...I can't eat mixed flavors...like pizza, salad, stew, soup...I can eat steak by itself or dip it in sauce...I can eat fries in ketchup and also beef...but i cannot eat a hamburger put together...its not just the texture but the taste that makes me cringe...I'm so glad I finally figured out that I may have a eating disorder and that I'm not just being stubborn...I would love to talk to others with the same problem...

dormammau2008
02-23-09, 05:10 PM
hey dain you can contac me anytime here
i allways be happy to talk to you

and i more than understand what your going though as well

dorm

Bywren
02-24-09, 01:56 PM
OMG. I had never put two and two together, but my adult stepsons, who I know find out have ADD, have food issues like that!!

The younger one, in his late 20s, refuses to eat anything with "sauces", he hates the texture of sauces. He also refuses to eat anything that leaves something on his fingers (like Cheetos or Doritos.) He also hates swimming and hot tubs, becuase of the getting wet (but he showers because he has to.)

The older one, who has the most ADD in the family, only eats the same things over and over. He orders the same things and tries to eat in the same restaurants over and over.

My youngest stepdaughter has had food issues her whole life, and she's mildly ADD. She has an issue with taste.. before I came along she would eat so much because of the taste sensation that she would literally throw up. Yet her family continued to let her eat this way (she's battled her weight since she was 6.) She said that she can't get enough of how things taste, and is obsessed with it. The older stepdaughter has fought her weight her whole life because of food issues (and she's more ADD than her sister.)

My husband, who I know also find out has ADD, is addicted to food, as well. He does not seem to have taste issues, but just a generally unhealthy addiction to eating.

This is quite interesting, as I'd never considered that the unusual food issues they all have, could be their ADD. There are other sensory issues with them, but I'll see what else is in this forum for that. Wow.

RedHairedWitch
02-26-09, 02:34 AM
I will want to keeping eating past full because of the good taste. Or I will just keep eating out of inattentiveness.
I will also go looking for food out of restlessness and boredom, another fidget outlet I guess.
I have been very aware of this since high school though and have been working on it, so its not an issue, just something I have to remind myself of. Its just about full time habit now to tell myself; "Uhh hunny, you're full"

dormammau2008
02-28-09, 08:30 PM
its allways been and iusesss and allways will be i think

shame really

but i still like food

dorm

shellbell
03-01-09, 02:29 PM
Meat of any kind when I was young my mom used to make me or at least try to make me eat meat I would pick around the hamburger helper and just eat the noodles I hated it for the longest time but now I am ok with a little bit.

dormammau2008
03-03-09, 07:52 PM
i dislike meat even now i dont like the way it feels or the consitent any fat on the meat i wont eat! in the end

dorm

kettish
03-09-09, 07:51 PM
RedHairedWitch: You mean everyone doesn't eat when they're bored??? o.o Are you serious?

Oh, man...just had one of those undiagnosed ADHD moments there. I thought everybody in the world did that. My family does, but most of them are waiting on their own evaluations now. :P Wait 'til I tell my sister!!

kontemplation
03-10-09, 07:43 AM
i'm an inattentive male, and didn't realize this was an add thing, but i eat ANYTHING. at least anything that is lukewarm... however, i cannot tolerate hot foods. if it's steaming, it BURNS to me. i usually wait till my food is cold before eating it.. so i end up doing something else while the food is cooling.

regarding textures, i feel like i'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I LOVE TEXTURES. i gotta admit that i'll take texture over taste quite often...i mean, i'll take a bite of a cookie.. and then have a craving for some cottage cheese.. or rice. spaghetti is good chunky not saucy.. sashimi.. and anything crunchy is good...sweet, sour, spicy, bitter, greasy, milky, crunchy, dry, cold, slimy, textured combinations.. anything complex...is what i like. i like playing with the food in my mouth too (veggies usually). i wont eat crunchy bread tho cuz it tears my mouth up. sorry if this grosses some of you out..hehe

i tend to have hypersensitivity to saltiness along with temperature. i eat a LOT of meat and fish. i like most veggies and fruits except i have an aversion to iceburg lettuce. shudder.

BarbP
04-02-09, 03:01 AM
Yup, count me in as another one who's hypersensitive to food textures!!! For me, the *worst* are mushrooms and uncooked tomato.... but many vegetables, and some meats, bug me as well. Two of my nieces have ADHD and strong food texture issues too.... the younger, age six, refuses to eat rice because she can't stand the way it feels in her mouth.

madelefant
04-03-09, 01:38 PM
I was telling doc a while ago about this. Medication helps reduce this. When I was a kid I was infamous because I could not eat lumpy pudding or lumpy mashed potatoes. I wouldn't let food types touch one another. I ate them (pretty much still do this even with meds) one at a time until completion. Could not eat a bite of one and then a bite of another. People in public always notice this.

For me

1) Food cannot touch
2) if multiple foods, I need to eat each part separate. Like Fries first, followed by burger
3) I cannot handle certain textures...these include most veggies and fruits...so you can imagine how healthy I am. I eat a burger it needs to be plain. I eat pizza it cannot have veggies. I like the taste of onions, but I cannot bite through a piece of onion on a pizza.

now I am off to really look over these forums and see what else I need to know!

Scaaattered
04-15-09, 01:19 AM
I'm new here and am amazed at the abundance of information and similiarities...I definetley have a texture issue, have since I can remember. Anything "mushy" and "slimy" like oatmeal, cream of wheat, lumpy gravy,oh yes a personal favorite...green jello with cottage cheese and pineapple, barf. It will not go down my throat, gag reflex wont let it. I also have a hard time with butter and mayo. I had no idea this could be an ADD issue.

Amy

kello2005
04-30-09, 01:56 PM
I eat my fruit before it's ripe...ripe banana's make me gag...but I love them when they're green.

I also really like stale food. Not bread! But chips, popcorn, and crackers...maybe it's because they are bland...dunno, just love stale stuff...haha!

I do prefer bland food that's really salted...basically, I love salt. But I can't eat too much of the same thing. When I go out for dinner, I never order something like pasta b/c I know it's just one thing. I need the dinner to have side dishes so I can sample different flavours. My dream meal is those appetizer platters..but they tend to be too expensive and too much food for just me! Sometimes I will stop eating before I'm full just b/c I'm bored of what I'm eating. But I can go and munch on something different no problem!

Does anyone else find that things like really pepperminty gum and mouth wash actually HURT you mouth?! For me...the stinging is so bad I have to spit it out and drink something quickly!! I find this with regular toothpaste too..but not to the same degree. However, those fruity flavoured toothpastes really gross me out. When I watch people swish mouthwash around their mouths I am in utter awe of them...how are they not in agony?!! One time I tried one of those breath strips that you put right on your tongue...oh my...I literally had to scrape it off b/c it hurt so much!!!

SpirallingSnowy
05-05-09, 03:15 AM
Wow... so many things people say here are so true for me as well!!

Most things i dont like because of texture. Zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms... most vegetables of a similar texture i just cant eat, they make me gag. The only vegies i eat are willingly are carrots, beans, peas. Brocolli and cauliflower ill only eat if its covered in cheese sauce - but its not to do with the flavour of them. I hate raw tomato, even cooked tomato. only good tomato is purreed in pasta sauce - i dont even like tomato sauce. Corn on a cob botheres me, as does celery cos stuff gets stuck in my teeth. I dont mind cucumber but really would rather not eat it.

The only meat i really eat much of is chicken. When i was a littl kid mum used to make rissoles and i used to chew them and chew them - i couldnt swallow it. Regularly she used to make me spit it out before bed cos i couldnt swallow it. Also with lamb;beef i spend forever chewing it because i just cant swallow it. Dad works in the meat industry so there is always really good quality beef/lamb in our house and i will always choose chicken/fish over it anyway. I just cant deal with the texture.
Im ok with pasta sauce with mince in it and stuff, but much prefer creamier or smoother pasta sauces.
I dont deal with salad. I hate combining vegetables like that. All the sauces are gross as well.
Most condiments i cant deal wtih either the flavour, the texture or something else.

I like cheese and carbohydrates. And fruit juice. And yoghurt. and chicken/ham. I like apple sauce, gravy, mint jelly, bbq sauce, cheese sauce, garlic sauce. sweet chilli sauce. I love garlic flavoured stuff.

Apricot chicken i have issues with..... especially knowing mum puts french oinion soup in it... and yet its sweet??

As far as fruit goes, i can deal with some textures better than others.....I dont like eating apples but i like the flavours, i find eating apples requires lots of effort. I dont like eating oranges cos of the texture but i like the flavour. Grapes feel weird. My mum always used to cut mango up so that it was in strips - cant deal with the stringy bits off the seed of it though. I really like kiwi fruit and eating it with a spoon. Same with passionfruit. Watermelon i squish in my mouth before i try to swallow it - cant chew it.
I eat my bananas unripe as well prefer fruit to be under ripe than ripe or over ripe. I wont eat fruit if its even just a little over ripe of just at that bit more squishy stage.

Fruity toothpaste grosses me out, and mouthwashes hurt me too!! Im allergic to salicylates so i have Peroxide and Baking soda mint flavoured Colgate toothpaste.

I looooove dips and bikkies but i always need to have a drink with them.

Seafood i cant stand the smell or texture of most. i like squid in stuff, and processed prawns ( eg prawn toast) - cant eat any of it fresh.Other than squid and prawns i wont touch seafood, except packet crumbed fish as a better option to beef.... and even then its a matter of which is worse.

Apparently as a kid i used to eat oysters/pipi's ..... i can think of nothing worse!!! Slimy or kinda squishy food like that and tofu makes me want to throw up!!!

I also get carsick if i dont have mind flavoured suff to chew/ suck on in car trips.

420crew
08-17-09, 10:09 PM
I am new here I am 34 and I have battled with texture problems forever. I am unhealthy I had a physical today and I failed it at 350 pounds. I am tired all the time. I cant eat chicken or steak, pretty much the only meat i will eat is burger beef or venison. I cant eat vegetables or most fruits because of the way the feel in my mouth. I love pasta with red sauce and pizza.

I have a 1.5 year old son and I have a hard time keeping up with him. I have never been diagnosed with ADD.

After reading this whole forum I am wondering if anyone is having any luck with treatments I need help and do not know where to begin. Please let me know what worked for you.

I do not like to be medicated.

Thanks

420crew
08-20-09, 06:13 PM
bump
bump

I am new here I am 34 and I have battled with texture problems forever. I am unhealthy I had a physical today and I failed it at 350 pounds. I am tired all the time. I cant eat chicken or steak, pretty much the only meat i will eat is burger beef or venison. I cant eat vegetables or most fruits because of the way the feel in my mouth. I love pasta with red sauce and pizza.

I have a 1.5 year old son and I have a hard time keeping up with him. I have never been diagnosed with ADD.

After reading this whole forum I am wondering if anyone is having any luck with treatments I need help and do not know where to begin. Please let me know what worked for you.

I do not like to be medicated.

Thanks

cantfocuspocus
07-01-11, 11:16 PM
Anyone else have issues with raw coconut? or Cracked wheat? I love the flavor of coconut and I can tolerate it when it's toasted (although when i first tried it i was very apprehensive), cracked wheat is horrendous! (to me anyway). It's a texture issue for both and they both have very different textures :(

cf481516
07-04-11, 09:37 PM
It's so hard to believe that I found people that have the same issues that I have. I always assumed it was just something wrong with only me and that I was just a picky eater but it turns out it has to do with sensitivity. Also, I'm not the only young adult with these issues

I basically have a problem with eating foods because of their textures. For instance, I cannot eat most tomato sauce because it's full of tomato chunks. I can only eat it when it is completely smooth and free of chunks. I have a problem with most fruits and vegetables. With fruit, most of it tastes good but I just cannot deal with the texture and how it feels in my mouth. For example, I love how strawberries taste but eating them is torture. I can eat apples, but if they turn brown or slightly mushy I can't deal with it.

I feel like I have been this way all of my life..Dinners are the worst. If my mom makes a new food, or something I can't deal with, I feel like I could just melt down crying. Even if I try the food, often times I feel sick and gag. On occasion I have thrown up..it's terrible and I hate it.

I also can't stand mint and cinnamon, especially in gum and mouthwash. I feel like my mouth is on fire. Is this related to the food texture sensitivity?

Thanks!

vickisue
07-23-11, 07:07 PM
I am thrilled to meet you all! my son who is now 11 has a very limited diet!!! this is very hard on him and me as well.i don"t know what to do to help him??? he panics sometimes if he puts a certain food in his mouth and spits it out . any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

BlackTheatre
11-13-11, 12:57 PM
I have something similar. Well, I couldn't tolerate near anything as a kid and growing up. Eventually, I started liking new foods and now eat a variety of things. I still have major problems with foods if they either don't smell right or the texture is off.

The texture problem isn't as big as it used to me, but if I'm eating a bowl of soup and there's a bone in it or something, I'll just bolt and vomit. It's an automatic gag reflex. I have the same problem with stuffing sometimes because of the veggies with the other textures. Also eggs or other foods with spinach, and mostly shrimp that aren't entirely stripped of the skin. If I'm chewing on a piece of shrimp and find even a bit of skin still on it in my mouth, my gag reflex goes off.

I had no idea this was a common problem with ADD. Huh... Well, I learn something new about it every day I guess.

jeremywatts2005
01-09-12, 07:45 AM
I did not know how many people were like me. But I am finding that I am not alone. Been very selective on eating for as long as I can remember. I do not like my food touching, all meat has to be very well done, won't eat dark meat chicken or turkey (slimy tasting), no fruits or veggies and of course I like spicy and eat tons of salt and pepper.

All my food pretty much has to be salt and peppered. So much so that I put a pile of salt and blend pepper into it and then dip the food into it. My wife thought I was crazy until my daughter. She is the same way. Has been since she started eating. My wife gets annoyed with her but I understand this is the way she is. Tried to get her to venture out on the food spectrum and she is not quite as picky as I am but still really more picky than the norm. Food also cannot touch for her, she goes crazy and wants the food not touching.

I will say my that my tendencies have made me better at my job. My selective nature and my highly precise nature make me a great dean of for profit college. I am really good at auditing, managing people and I am highly precise on paperwork. I find that the tendencies I have in eating manifest in other areas of life outside of food.

known_guy
01-09-12, 02:14 PM
I have intense hypersensitivity when it comes to taste, eating foods.

I cannot tolerate spicy foods. Hot foods - I have to wait for it to cool. Minty foods. I have specific texture sensitivity (too many to list, too difficult to explain).
I adhere to eating foods in/by a set order/methodology. Foods cannot touch one another. And so on, and so forth.

E_Mac09
04-24-12, 11:06 AM
I can't stand the texture of onions. If I am eating something that I have loved for years and I discover a stray onion made its way to my dish, that food is on my disgusting list for months afterwards.

Fuzzy12
04-25-12, 08:04 PM
Funnily enough, I'm mostly ok with food texture except for soft/squishy fruits and vegetables...BRRRRRR :faint:

spunkysmum
04-25-12, 09:25 PM
I'm not crazy about messy foods. I will eat them if they taste good enough (corn on the cob, for instance, or tacos) but I have to have a napkin at all times to clean my face and hands. I hate those Hardee's commercials where they try to spin the messiness and sloppiness of their burgers as somehow being a SELLING point (WTHeck??) and dislike that their burgers are all slathered with sauces that get all over you.

spunkysmum
04-25-12, 09:40 PM
I won't eat dark meat chicken or turkey (slimy tasting)

Me either - too greasy and gamey-tasting. Yuk.

no fruits or veggies

I am picky about which veggies I like but the ones I do like I do like. I like fruit as long as it's fresh.

All my food pretty much has to be salt and peppered. So much so that I put a pile of salt and blend pepper into it and then dip the food into it.

Yep. I do this because if I didn't I'd have to constantly be re-salting the surface of the foods as I ate the salted part. Having salt sprinkled on the plate to dip food in makes this unnecessary (I'm not as into pepper as I am salt, though I don't dislike it.)

I guess in a way it might seem like there are a lot of foods I don't like, but I don't consider myself a fussy eater and find truly fussy eaters annoying, particularly if they say they don't like foods they've never tasted. I also roll my eyes at people who won't eat any spicy foods, especially if they are men. Men who won't eat spicy seem like sissies to me, LOL. That's just my visceral reaction, I can't help it.

I will say my that my tendencies have made me better at my job.

I'd say the same for myself although in my case the tendencies in question manifest more in other areas than in my eating. I am picky about doing laundry, for instance, and want all stains out, and all typos corrected when I write or post online.

Although - maybe I should scratch that. It might have more to do with food than I've indicated, in that in my last job as a parts inspector at a metal manufacturing plant, my high personal work standards probably carried over from the jobs I'd had previously which involved inspecting FOODS. I'd be very fussy about what I let pass because I imagined having to eat what I was inspecting. When I moved on to the next job which was similar except that it did not involve inspecting foods, that tendency was already too deeply ingrained to allow me to be slipshod in my inspection of the metal parts. Even though I knew nobody was going to eat the parts, I still couldn't feel comfortable if I saw a visible defect, functional OR cosmetic, and I let it go by.

I find that the tendencies I have in eating manifest in other areas of life outside of food.[/quote]

cvstayner
05-10-12, 09:32 PM
I have the same problem I hate food but I wished I liked it. I gag or wont even try anything because I am so afraid of it being in my mouth. I don't know what to do. My family looks down on me for being this way and I never have an answer as to why I'm like this. I've never had anybody to talk to about my way of eating. People just always shake their heads at me in disgust. My eating problems have gotten me to only eat fast food and is always a plain cheeseburger and french fries I eat it so much that I even get sick of it. I try to try something else but never works. I just find another fast food place to eat. I'm running out of fast foods. I too love spegghetti but will not eat the chunks thats is in it. For me thats about as far as I go in liking food. My worst is just trying to see if I might like it, but mojority of the time I never try.

tigerrose
05-30-12, 05:37 PM
I just discovered this site and this thread. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that did not outgrow being a "picky eater" I'm 50 years old and there are many foods that make me gag still. Earlier in this thread someone said to hold your nose when you try to eat foods you don't like. For me that doesn't work, it's all about texture. I love the smell of steak when it's cooking. It smells soooo good! But if I try to eat it I gag. There are other meats I feel this way about as well. Love the smell but my mouth rejects the texture. Does anyone else have that issue? I like fruit but when it comes to any kind of fruit juice it has to be smooth. Can't do OJ with pulp. Also I can't eat certain things together. I'll eat a Milky Way bar but add peanuts to it which makes it a Snickers and I can't eat it. I love many different kinds of nuts but can't eat them if they are in something sweet like a chocolate bar or cake. Yet I love them in salads. I will eat vegetables but never in soup as I don't like the wetness or mushyness they get from soup. Just wondering if anyone else has these issues?

John21V
06-22-12, 01:47 AM
I just turned 16 today, (June 21st), and I actually checked up on this general topic a couple months ago. When I was 5 years old, something just happened, it was like I took a turn for the worst because I just stopped eating. My parents would shove things, literally, down my throat to try and get me to eat, but I just can't stand the textures of things. For me, it's fruits and veggies I cannot stand (that I know of, I havent eaten meat since I was little). I stumbled upon this thread a couple months ago as I mentioned, and I was crying so hard, it actually made me, a 16 year old boy in high school, so happy that I cried. I have not been able to eat like a normal person would. The same day I stumbled upon this, I found a way to fix things. You need to just roll the food around your tongue for a few seconds, then chew it. I did this with both Strawberries and Corn in the past two weeks. I bet you could imagine how unhealthy I am by me eating only dairy, eggs, and bread. Of course that means I have pizza and french fries when I eat out, which is... quite often. I'm just glad I'm not alone on this, but I have never been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD as a child. I need to also ask for help from you guys here, on how to lose weight fast even if I don't eat normally. I've cut back on soda (a lot, I only drink water, and I have only had water for the past week), and I have started to get some healthier habits with eating strawberries and the occasional corn on the cob. Just the other day I actually went out to lunch and didn't get anything, but my brother bought this chicken wrap (Lettuce, chicken, cheese, tomato, cesaer dressing) which contained things I utterly despise the texture of (tomato, lettuce). SO, up until that day, I didn't have chicken in 8 years, and now it's starting another streak. I just popped that stuff in my mouth and it was over with, but I nearly gagged because of the lettuce and tomato... So definitely, point of the story, take small steps, then take larger steps later on.

JoJo77
08-01-12, 08:51 PM
I'm a 30 year old female with an 14 month old daughter and I cannot eat a lot of things that I wish I could. The only veggies that I can eat are green beans, corn, and spinach. I so would love to be able to eat whatever my husband can eat. He hates going anywhere cause I cant eat most of the stuff on the menu with out taking half of the stuff off or making substitutions. I would so love to have a nice green salad but i cant swallow it cause of the texture plus the crunchy noise, i hate anything that crunches! So I have gain a lot of weight before and after my daughter and would love any help or suggestions that could help or will help. The only fruits I can eat are apples, raspberries and grapes and would love to eat more so I can be healthy for myself and be a great mother and wife.

Sophishy
08-10-12, 03:04 AM
I have the exact same issues with food. Phew! Not sure what it is all about or why, but it's nice to know I am not the only one like this.

Tonksmom
09-15-12, 04:31 PM
This is starting to be almost funny. I'm a VERY picky eater. My mom has wondered if my taste buds are hypersensitive. But it's also smells and textures that can put me off. Veggies--love most of them raw. Cook them and they turn into very different things and most of them I strongly dislike. If broccoli even gets warm in the truck on the way to the grocery store, there's a smell that just doesn't make me want it in my mouth. Spinach--lovely leafy stuff, though I couldn't eat a salad with just that because it's a bit too bitter. Please don't cook it and expect me to eat it. It just looks nasty, never mind the smell and texture. I've always hesitated to accept dinner invitations from friends for fear they'd put something in front of me that I didn't like and I'd have to either gag it down or be impolite. Course that could have to do with the squid soup someone put in front of me one time when I visited them for a few days...

Sleeper929
02-11-13, 07:13 AM
First let me say I have little knowledge or experience with ADD, and I do not, to my knowledge, suffer this condition. I do however have an inquisitive mind and rudimentary knowledge of scientific method.

It has come to my attention recently, that my own avoidance of certain food textures, generally associated with the sensation of eating something that is overripe or rotting, or in the case of mushrooms a texture that doesn't seem to fit into the categories of ripe or rotting well enough to be judged, appear to be strongly linked to potty issues in my youth. That is undoubtedly a seemingly ridiculous statement to the majority of people, but i feel strongly that there is a link between issues suffered at a chaotic and sensitive point in my development, and my avoidance of certain food textures. There is no way I could possibly explain the link in my mind that draws a correlation between these two disparate subjects, I simply feel it there, strongly.
So there's my two cents on the subject. Perhaps you will discover some enlightenment in it that will help prove or disprove some theory of your own.

peasnrice
03-09-13, 01:32 AM
Myself, my husband, and one of my son's all have ADHD/ADD. Both my son and I are extremely picky about texture. We seem to want everything smooth and separate. I got a little better as I got older, but I still won't eat:
1. Food that touches
2. Food with mixed textures (like crunchy onions in a bean burrito)
3. Meat or most veggie meat substitutes (varied textures)
4. Anything discolored or spotted, even if it's supposed to be
5. Jellies or smoothies with seeds no matter how tiny (but poppyseed or chiaseed muffins are fine and yummy ;p)
6. Anything that ever tasted off, even once, is forever ruined
7. Wraps or sandwiches unless I disassemble them, examine each internal component, and then put it back together myself.
8. Can't swallow pills (got one stuck once and it apparently traumatized me, lol, can't tolerate the air puff glaucoma test either, I jump away and shriek every time, wonder if this is a trend ;p)
8. Drinks with lumps. Like added lemon, or fruit bits.
9. Preserves, again with the fruit bits
10. Dairy. It's slimy/thick and one time I thought about where it comes from and that was the end.
11. Nuts or fruit in cake or jello.
12. Really bright food coloring.

Most fruits and veggies don't bother me, but I examine everything to death before I'm willing to eat it, and I don't want things mixed like fruit salad. There is a lot of other stuff. I think the big issue is surprises. I don't like sudden unidentified objects in my mouth. The moment something is a different texture than I expected it's like the food turns to tasteless paste that I cannot spit out fast enough. Then I can't eat it again for years.

My son is worse. He is almost 5, won't try new foods, still only eats fruits and veggies as purees. For a while he ate bananas but then the tiny black dots in the center got to him, and now he won't. He never even moved past stage one babyfoods. He wants to drink everything through a straw. He will eat some things like specific crackers, peanut butter, one type of nutrition bar. He doesn't even eat cake, although he will suck all the frosting off of any piece that gets too close to him (no matter whose it is). Oh, and chocolate chip cookies, potato chips (one brand one flavor), and french fries. At least he like chew-able vitamins =[

I never thought my husband had any issues, but after reading the other posts, he avoids mushrooms, avocado, coconut, tomatoes and certain green veggies. Maybe he does and I just didn't pay any attention because I was too busy begging my son to eat and freaking out myself ;p

Wendle
04-25-13, 11:08 PM
I have just been reading all the posts with tears in my eyes as I have spent years with people telling me I should just eat or at least try the food.
I am 43 and never come across anyone with my eating issues. However my aversions seem to be similiar to those of most others in this forum.
I do not like mushy food. I dislike fruit and veg (I can eat some orange and yellow veg now). I almost vomit if I crunch on an onion :eek: that has found it's way into my food. Slimey food is definitely out and holding my nose to remove the odour does not work.
I am also sensitve to mouthwash and some tooothpaste. I cannot blend food, but have a had a bit of success in adding some green veg to my slow cooker meat as brocolli and spinach tend too break down into the gravy and I remove any lumps.
My husband is an ironman and is very strict and healthy with what he eats. I have 2 children to feed and have the occassional arguement with my husband about quantities of sugar in my children's diet. We are all slim, sporting people but I do have a problem with energy levels.
Preparing food for my family can be an issue because I do not like the feel of meat and mushy food. I wear disposable gloves to prepare a lot of food but I still feel like gagging and sometimes I no longer feel like eating the food after I have cooked it.
I always used to dread eating out :(, especially at other people's houses but after many years I have perfected the technique of eating around the food I don't like and pretending as if I have eaten a lot.
I AM SO GLAD THAT I GOOGLED THIS. I FEEL LESS LIKE AT AN EATING OUTCAST :).

Mitch45
07-25-13, 08:56 AM
OMG, i cant believe this. I though I was the only one out there with food issues.

My nephew has food issues also, but i never focused much on it. But I thought it was great pay back to my brother because he would get very upset over my food fussiness as a kid. He was a real jerk about it.

I also never wanted to eat at a friends house because me and my food issues would alway be the center of attention.

I have my first visit to a Psychologists about ADHD set up for next wednesday

SentientCoconut
12-20-13, 12:05 PM
Wow - great to find a post about this here. I have been struggling with sensory issues throughout my life, but was only diagnosed with SPD this year.
Had talks with O.T and Pysch about possibility of ADHD - and am going through eval. process.

I ate fruit and veggies (or at least veggies?), up until 18 months, then all of a sudden, just stopped. parents tried pleading, bribing, hiding the veggies in food, covering it in sauce - but I could always find it, and if not see it, or taste it I could feel the texture. Poor parents were exasperated! and embarrassed when I started to go to friends houses - to tell the other parents I didn't eat any fruit or vegetables.
My diet consisted of pizza, bread, dry cereal, chicken (sometimes), hot chips or potato chips, chocolate (but not any lollies or soft drink), pasta and fish fingers (if I had to), eggs - with whites and yokes mixed together (defintely not scrambled) and ice cream. Anything else i either (involuntarily) threw up, or gagged on. Even when I tried because I wanted to (teasing from friends, or because I was so bored with eating), I still had the same reaction.

Diet stayed the same with a few minor things such as spreads (peanut butter, cream cheese etc.) and eventually flavoured milk was added to my diet. As well as meats like burger mince, and bacon.
My diet was exactly the same until I was 16 - and was admitted for anorexia to in-patient treatment (not picky eating or texture related). It was treatment rules to finish everything on your plate you were served or you would be kicked out of treatment. I ordered very wisely so that I could follow rules, but there were a fair few times where I just had to focus everything on not gagging or being sick from swallowing the ingredients like broccoli or celery in the dish. I did learn to like a few of the starchy and carbohydrate veggies i.e. potato, sweet potato, and of course corn - which is very sweet.

I've managed to expand my diet a fair bit... I now will eat peas or snow peas, broad beans etc. so long as they are not crunchy, and not too soggy, and are smothered/cooked in a strong sauce such as a stir fry. I will eat carrot (and sweet potato) but must be in a sauce or cooked in oven. I have become slightly more adventurous, in that since meeting my boyfriend he has encouraged me to try as many foods as I can, (I also know my 'pickiness' frustrates him a bit). I have tried Banana, zucchini, cucumber, and celery (again) all of which are my most hated, loathed foods which end up in me throwing up - (and added to that can't *stand* the strong taste, and its texture). I did try beetroot, but am not a fan, and I did once try a honey roasted fig - it was very sweet - but the texture had gagging (quietly - since we were at a dinner party). I did manage to eat a few slices of apple for a month (for most of the days), but I couldn't stand gagging after each bite, every day after a month. I breifly tried a mandarin too, the taste was *barely* tolerable, but compared to most fruit, it was good. Again - either the intense taste or texture.. or both... put me off after a week of trying not to throw up after lunches.

I am have a huge sweet-tooth...and by tooth I mean teeth.. its my favourite thing - but I've just back a fair bit off and on over the years.

Over the past year and a half I have gone vegetarian - for moral reasons, not because I dont like meat, which has made life interesting.. but am slowly building up the dishes (that I can actual eat...) in my repertoire :P

It's still hugely frustrating. I have made progress over the years, but it now feel as if I've reached my limits of new things to try and things I can tolerate eating.
It's a little dis-heartening, even after my few weeks-at-a-time attempts that I was open to and tried mentally very hard... my body and gag reflex had different ideas.

I shall keep on trying - hope you all have had some Luck re: food issues since the last post... which I only noticed about 2 minutes ago...was in 2005.

Arelia
09-02-14, 04:21 PM
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I really thought I was a weirdo.

OhLookABunny
09-19-14, 01:09 AM
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I really thought I was a weirdo.

Nope, you aren't! :grouphug: There are quite a few of us out there. Now my food issues are not just texture-related; I'm a picky eater whose pickiness can come from just about any of the 5 senses. Taste, of course; smell, definitely; sight, yup; texture, bingo; hearing - possibly, like if the food made a squishy gloppy sound such as you might hear as sound effects from a slimy alien in a movie! :eek: I was a regular participant at pickyeatingadults.com until they had to close down their message board and I don't care for the Yahoo Group format they use now. I like threaded message boards like this one so I can remember, track, and find topics I'm interested in.

So anyway, rest assured you're not alone, and keep posting - I'm here and I'm sure others will join in. :grouphug:

Corina86
09-19-14, 05:26 AM
I really really wish this problem would be treated more seriously by the medical community, so that a solution might be found. I was seriously underweight/anorexic my entire childhood because of texture/taste/smell sensitivity and still have health issues because of that. Not to mention social problems because I couldn't go to kindergarten, camps or certain events because of the food. Unfortunately, I see this kind of behavior in my nieces and I'm worried that they're going down the same path.

stef
09-19-14, 05:39 AM
I don't have too much of a problem with this, but if I can't eat something, I really CAN'T. (for example, "mussels/clams". ) So I can't begin to imagine living in a world where a lot of foods would trigger that same reaction as *mussels/clams* (shudder).

Yes I think it should be taken seriously and parents should have the rule where, you have to try everything once, but if a child has an aversion to something they shouldn't have to eat it.

OhLookABunny
09-20-14, 01:42 AM
For me, overweight is the issue. When I was a tiny picky child, my mom was afraid I'd starve. Really! First-time parent jitters. :o So when I discovered snack foods she let me have them. She was Type I diabetic and I'm at risk for Type II. I love carbs - and a carb in my book is not a vegetable (okay scientifically maybe it is, but don't anyone try to foist it off on me as a "tasty alternative" to REAL, comfort-food, starchy carbs, such as pasta :mad:).

Also I probably gravitate toward the serotonin in those starchy carbs due to my co-existing anxiety. Plus they're bland (the "beige diet," LOL) and non-threatening, filling, satisfying. There are some vegetables I can eat especially raw ones, but I tend not to be in the habit of actually buying them and eating them. If I buy them they sit in the refrigerator reproaching me until they rot and I throw them out. :(