View Full Version : overwhelmed mom- new here

drazen04
10-28-16, 09:54 AM
Hi,

My daughter is 12. Nothing has ever come easy to her. When she was 18 months old we had EI come in for PT because she wasn't walking. By age 3 we had her to a developmental pediatrician due to all developmental delays with the exception of talking, but yet she stuttered (I am a speech therapist). The ped ruled out autism, PDD, Asperger's and said that she had a myopathy that was causing low muscle tone and that it was not neurologically based. Since that time DD has had two eye surgeries for strabismus, OT/ST in school and had an IEP from 1-3rd grade. The IEP ended once she was on Adderall and we found it was working well.
Now she is in 7th. Everything has changed with the onset of puberty it seems. I took her off the Adderall because she was MISERABLE- did not want to talk, listen, follow directions, eat, sleep or be touched. Within a day of being off the Adderall she was my old sweet girl again. However, she could tell me what was going on too, and could NOT focus. Her handwriting became worse than a preschoolers and she was unable to get points at school for anything handed in because the teachers couldn't read it. I couldn't help her with math because I couldn't read what she was writing can couldn't get her to slow down. She said that slowing down made her arms and head hurt.

She also told me that she loves a certain cartoon character, and wants to be like her, "to fill a void". She is obsessed with this character, but she threw away all of dolls of this show (my little pony equstria girls) last year and is now uset that she did. She has no friends and has no interest in socializing.
She is doing odd things like sticking her hands down her pants and then smelling it/putting her hands in her mouth.
She doesn't understand cause and effect it seems. She says that kids are making fun of her, and knows why, but it doesn't occur to her to stop these odd behaviors to stop the bullhing.
We just started her on the Ritalin patch 10mg and Prozac 10mg. I know things are not going to happen over night, but got two calls from the school over the past two days, one for not thinking after accidently bringing a drink on the bus with her and shoving it in her bookbag where it later spilled all over the place, and today, the counselor calling me to tell me that she is sticking her hands down her pants in school.
I am at my limit here. I have called 3 different places to try to get her in to see a psychologist and either waiting to hear back, or they don't take our insurance.
IS this kind of stuff normal with ADHD or should I be worried that the dev ped missed something and perhaps she is on the autistic spectrum? :confused:

ginniebean
10-28-16, 10:55 AM
Not really, seriously kinda sounds more autistic behaviour. Just because your ped may have ruled it put doesn't mean you don't need a second opinion.

Lots of people fall thru the cracks

dvdnvwls
10-28-16, 11:58 AM
As far as "plain old ADHD", your daughter's new behaviour sounds nothing like it.

A person can have ADHD plus something else, and that's still possible.

To me, and I'm far from an expert, the type of things you've mentioned do sound more like autism. And if it isn't autism, I think you might find that someone who specializes in autism would be one of very few who's able to definitively and reliably tell you why.

There are several autistic adults who post here from time to time - it might be good to get their perspectives.

Pilgrim
10-28-16, 03:50 PM
I'm not a dr either, so these are pure guesses.
There is impulsive behaviour here, Adderall might be the wrong med, maybe she felt a bit to much external stimulation.
One thing I can relate, when I was roughly her age, although I was growing out of it then, I had a couple of impulsive behaviours that were embarrassing.
Possibly in her wish not to hand around other kids this could be a confidence issue.
Sounds like a complex problem.

dvdnvwls
10-28-16, 09:36 PM
I'm not a dr either, so these are pure guesses.
There is impulsive behaviour here, Adderall might be the wrong med, maybe she felt a bit to much external stimulation.
One thing I can relate, when I was roughly her age, although I was growing out of it then, I had a couple of impulsive behaviours that were embarrassing.
Possibly in her wish not to hand around other kids this could be a confidence issue.
Sounds like a complex problem.
It's relatively simple to take a list of typical autism traits and state that drazen04's list of her daughter's behaviours all fit into it. That would be one "label" under which everything could be made to fit pretty neatly. However, even if that was true, the question is still "OK, now what?". Also none of us are doctors, and none of us (except drazen04 of course :) ) have even met the person we're talking about.