View Full Version : Not sure...

oh_shiny
10-29-16, 08:38 PM
Hello, new here but have been reading and researching much since my doctor suggested I might have ADD.
I have struggled with depression and anxiety the majority of my life, I've tried a variety of antidepressant meds, which never seemed to make any significant difference.
I always found that 2 drinks of alcohol worked wonders for my anxiety - it would slow me down, I could take deep breaths again, and it gave me the energy to tackle any difficult tasks I was facing. Which now makes sense, because I've read that alcohol acts as a stimulant while your blood alcohol level is rising. But obviously, alcohol is not a good solution.
My doctor has prescribed Dexedrine, which really seems to be helping as far as calming me down, lifting my mood, clearing my head, and helping with my chronic exhaustion. I still don't have much enthusiasm for day-to-day life or activities, but maybe that will come with time?
I just struggle with whether or not I really do have ADD, it just seems like too easy of an answer to fall into after all of these years of struggling to deal with the mental and physical exhaustion of depression and anxiety.
I guess I don't really have a question per se....I'm just wondering if anyone can relate? Or perhaps I'm in denial? Any advice?

Swissy
10-29-16, 09:29 PM
I can relate. I feel like since I had to request an ADD screening that my diagnosis isn't real. I would have believed it more if a doctor came to the conclusion without my asking about it. If I have ADD, why did it take me pointing it out at age 40 to make it happen? I started adderall and feel so much better, and people around me see a big positive change, but it's almost like I feel too good. I have energy, anxiety pretty much gone and whatever depression I had lurking is gone when I take my meds. My big issue is if the meds make me feel so good, should I be taking them? am I just boosting my mood and daily performance with amphetamines or are the amphetamines actually making me a better person? I don't know. And I don't know if they will always work. And I don't know what will happen to me if I stop. I don't know if I am doing the right thing, if a doctor is just going along with me... Until I read over the log I kept for 2 weeks before going to a neurologist, and until my husband confirms it all. Maybe it will help you to start a log of your ADD-isms. I use the notes app on my phone.

In short, yes, I can relate.

anonymouslyadd
10-29-16, 09:50 PM
ADDers always need a sense of certainty. My ADD coach taught me that.

I would keep getting diagnosed or taking tests until you feel totally secure in the diagnosis.

dvdnvwls
10-29-16, 10:07 PM
Finding an answer that fits the facts is not some kind of cheating. It also doesn't actually solve anything - it just indicates some of the things that might be worth trying, and some of what to not bother with.

oh_shiny
10-29-16, 10:24 PM
Thanks Swissy, I relate a lot to what you are saying about the medication. Because they are a stimulant, I too question whether I am feeling better just because of that. I really like your journal suggestion - I did keep a log the first week and looking back I can see that there were a lot of positives, so thank you for the reminder.

anonymouslyadd, thanks, I will ask about further definitive testing.

dvdnvwls, thank you, that makes perfect sense. I think I do feel like I'm cheating or taking the easy way out by exploring this avenue.

Ultimately, I guess if a medication gives you a sense of hope and a small feeling of what 'normal' might be like, then that's worth exploring.