View Full Version : Just Got Diagnosed on Thursday

BobbyB89
10-29-16, 08:54 PM
Hello. Just found this through Google.

I'm 27 years old and for the last 14 months or so I've been dealing with severe brain fog. I'm not as sharp as I've always been, I'm not processing things like I always have...I basically just feel dumber, for lack of a better description. Like a perpetual hangover without the headache.

I saw my doctor on Thursday and I had told her I could get short relief of my symptoms (maybe an hour) whenever I drink extremely strong coffee or Red Bull.

She said that led her to believe I have ADHD. She said I talk extremely fast, I never stop moving, and in my attempts to describe my full range of symptoms (I won't bore you with the details, but my fog has been accompanied by a few other symptoms that have made it worse, like occasional dizziness and some strong sinus pressure) she said I never completed a thought before I moved on to another.

She had me take a written test with 6 questions where I got 5 in a dark shaded area. Apparently 4 means you have ADHD tendencies.

She prescribed me a month's supply of 20mg Adderall XR (the bottle says it's amphetamine salts) and told me to take one pill every morning before 9.

I took one pill Friday and one today. So far, I don't feel like it's done much to help. I still feel tremendously foggy, as hyperactive as I've always been, and I'm not focusing any better. I felt tremendously frustrated just thinking about having to write this post; it felt daunting to sit and focus on writing these short few paragraphs. I've already walked away from it a half dozen times because it was frustrating me to write it.

The only effect I've felt so far, both days, is that I've gotten EXTREMELY tired in the mid-afternoon. Feel like I just want to crawl in bed and sleep for a few hours.

So what's the deal? Does Adderall take a while to provide me relief? Was I misdiagnosed?

I don't know what I'm looking for exactly. Just want to feel like myself again.

oh_shiny
10-29-16, 10:37 PM
Hi, welcome, I'm new too. I don't have any experience with that particular medication so couldn't offer you any advice. But regarding these medications in general, it seems like it can sometimes take a bit of trial and error to find the right medication (or combination of medications) for each individual, so don't get discouraged... maybe this isn't the one for you. Hope you get some helpful answers!

diagoro
10-31-16, 10:44 AM
From experience, the first few doses of Adderall usually give an "europhic" sensation, but imagine there are different experiences around.

Did you suddenly cut caffeine at the same time?

Starting a medication to treat a newly diagnosed issue is very much trial and error. it takes time to determine that works best for you, but also the right dosage. It can be extremely frustrating, but there's no wonder drug.

That said, I should also add, sounds like you may have a generic medication. Many here (myself included) have found that generic and brand name medications can have drastic differences. In my case, I started Adderall XR again (after a year off). The first prescription didn't work at all, and was a generic. Requesting the brand name made a huge, immediate difference. Thing is, most doctors (and pharmacies) wont not this.

caretothepeople
11-01-16, 10:24 AM
Keep track of your symptoms and the reactions you're having. This can be really useful to have when speaking with your doctor as it helps with making medication adjustments and possibly discussing other options. You can always give your doctor a call to let them know how you're responding and see what they say.

20thcenturyfox
11-01-16, 02:20 PM
to Adderall...but not a response which starts off undetectable and builds.

I know there are many other drugs which take time to take effect, or may have to have the dosage increased to show any effect.

I have to admit I did not start Adderall XR at some ultra-low dosage as others have reported. I started at 20mg, like the OP, and sometimes went up to 30mg.

But I noticed some effect from the first day...more daytime energy, better nighttime sleep, even if the best motivation and concentration came at the higher dosages (and sometimes at the expense of sleep).

I have heard others report that they got an initial buzz or high from Adderall which had to die down a little before they saw the benefits of better concentration and control.

But--and I could be wrong about this-- I would think if someone is getting no effect from 20mg, that would be a pretty good indication that either Adderall (or the generic formulation if such it is) is not for them.

I have seen it reported that one stimulant or another will help about 70% of ADHD people. Unless there are people in whom the effect builds up over time, initial non-response seems like a good indication to move on to the next stimulant to see if it works better.

Jeftheginger
11-02-16, 12:55 AM
Maybe adderal is not the right medicine for you
it is trial and error
Try again

sarahsweets
11-03-16, 10:23 AM
Are these symptoms you have had your whole life or just in the last 14 months?