View Full Version : The feeling of something not being complete/done

BellaVita
10-30-16, 04:15 AM
Hi! :)

Sorry for many threads - I get on a roll.

I'm wondering if others with OCD (or maybe even anxiety) experience the nagging feeling like something (whether a task, or a conversation with someone) isn't complete or done.

And then it can trigger my brain running in circles trying to think of different ways that thing might not be done, whether more details/questions I might have forgot to add to a conversation, feeling like I might have misunderstood or not completely understand information told to me(so then I fear I have stored misinformation in my brain), or thinking that a task isn't done all the way.

And then this bad feeling grows inside me.

And I rationally (sometimes) know that I haven't forgotten anything, and that the task/conversation/whatever is completed - but this undefined nagging feeling persists anyway and lasts for hours and sometimes days after.

Another thing that can happen is I might "give in" to the nagging feeling even if I haven't found anything incomplete, and this is sort of a description of that:

There's a disabling part that often happens of either me going over the conversation over and over in my brain, or worse, embarrassingly I'll ask or repeat the same details over again to make sure I said them and to make sure I understood what whoever told me back. But it's to an obsessive level where it can really bother another person and also can greatly embarrass me for seeming so weird repeating things.

Or if it's a task I'll go over the entire task again and again - checking it.

When it gets to the last two paragraphs - it's very hard to get out of this and I fall into the neverending trap of compulsions.

I would like to learn how to stop myself at the nagging feeling, or learn how to ignore it/get rid of it, so that I don't end up doing compulsions.

And really, the nagging feeling is what really bothers me so much, I mean so do the compulsions but many probably wouldn't exist without that nagging feeling. And when it is growing and festering in my brain I often can't fully immerse myself in other activities because it's "there" trying to take over my focus. So I can't then fully enjoy activities.

Do others experience this feeling? What have you found helps you to not focus on it and not give in to obsessing over it and trying to find fake "solutions" that only make you focus on the feeling more and dig yourself deeper? How can I remind myself it's just a feeling and doesn't mean that there is something there that I hadn't realized?

I really need to find a better way of dealing with this.

john2100
10-30-16, 06:49 AM
I 'm wondering myself too. It looks like anxiety and adhd too.

When I was on hydrocone for a very short time , All my worries went away and I was so productive . No double checking no procrastination. If it wasn't that addictive I would almost say, that it was a perfect adhd,depression and anxiety medication.

My only solution where or not on meds is double checking it and trying to remember it's been checked already . Otherwise I would always get a feeling , "what if" .

After double checking I just deal with consequences, sometimes I 'm right sometimes I wrong.

Even after double checking it always comes back :"is it done?" then self-control is the only solution for me.

BellaVita
10-30-16, 06:57 AM
I 'm wondering myself too. It looks like anxiety and adhd too.

When I was on hydrocone for a very short time , All my worries went away and I was so productive . No double checking no procrastination. If it wasn't that addictive I would almost say, that it was a perfect adhd,depression and anxiety medication.

My only solution where or not on meds is double checking it and trying to remember it's been checked already . Otherwise I would always get a feeling , "what if" .

After double checking I just deal with consequences, sometimes I 'm right sometimes I wrong.

Even after double checking it always comes back :"is it done?" then self-control is the only solution for me.

Interesting findings.

I found a couple years ago that when I was prescribed the anti-nausea medication called Zofran - it helped diminish my OCD symptoms. Found out after some research that it is actually being looked into for helping OCD.