View Full Version : So little info about Adult ADHD. The info out there makes me think I don't have ADHD

clydeisadog
10-30-16, 06:06 PM
When I think about my childhood I can definitely see a doctor giving me ADHD medications due to my behavior.

But I'm 23 years old now, and I am not the kid that was expelled for low grades because I would rather explore than do homework. I'm not the kid that was placed at a desk facing the back corner because I would get so excited that I would jump up and exclaim things excitedly in the middle of classes.
I'm not the kid that left high school one day and started hitch-hiking across the country with the dog I rescued because my mom wouldn't let me keep the dog.

Now I'm the adult that is afraid of talking to people at school, and the adult that LOVES chemistry and will explain it to my friends in detail forever. I never struggled in college - I signed myself up using my mothers information at 17 and used my grades in community college to get a full-ride to a university.

I'm also the adult that got myself a therapist for my anxiety, that suggested that I see a psychiatrist as well, and after years of unsuccessful treatment for anxiety, dropping out of college, and jumping around temp jobs.
Yes I am back in college, which is great.

But I am confused as to why I was prescribed Adderall. I was never depressed, and I don't know why I was diagnosed with ADHD. According to the information about adult ADHD that I have read well, I don't seem to fall into the spectrum.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences being diagnosed as adults? How did your diagnosis happen?

How do your ADHD medications affect you? What does it feel like to you? Can you please not talk about focus, because I was focused on things before. How did it change how you lived your life, or increase your quality of life?
People often talk about getting energy and being able to do sooo many things - clean their whole house and stay up all night - and then complain about insomnia, anxiety, and lack of appetite.

I sleep better. I eat better. My anxiety has lessened, but hasn't disappeared - but it's so much better.
I cannot stay up all night. I cannot do all of these things, I'm often "stuck"

Any insights would be very appreciated.
Thank you.

:thankyou:

dvdnvwls
10-30-16, 06:12 PM
Get the book Taking Charge of Adult ADHD by Russell Barkley. It's a fairly simple read. And after you read it, you are almost certain to know "Yes, that's exactly me" or "I don't get what he's talking about, it can't be me".