View Full Version : Hello My Good Friend

Tetrahedra
10-31-16, 12:54 PM
In hindsight, I've always had anxiety but I just wasn't aware of it. It's always been a nagging guilt buried in me that crops up every now and then, or a paranoia that looms in the shadows and crawls out every so often. But it's never been a constant, oppressive presence.

This weekend, I came very close to having two panic attacks. I've never had a panic attack before. I started to get the shortness of breath and discomfort. Became a little discombobulated. It was quite a shock, and I couldn't get any work done this weekend.

I'm not sure what to say. I really hope this doesn't become a pattern.

midnightstar
10-31-16, 01:13 PM
I hope it doesn't become a pattern either, Tetrahedra :grouphug:

ginniebean
10-31-16, 03:00 PM
Just be at ease that there is help if you need it. Anxiety is something that's caused me a lot of problems but also seems to be the driver for me to do anything.

20thcenturyfox
11-11-16, 02:23 PM
In hindsight, I've always had anxiety but I just wasn't aware of it. It's always been a nagging guilt buried in me that crops up every now and then, or a paranoia that looms in the shadows and crawls out every so often. But it's never been a constant, oppressive presence.

This weekend, I came very close to having two panic attacks. I've never had a panic attack before. I started to get the shortness of breath and discomfort. Became a little discombobulated. It was quite a shock, and I couldn't get any work done this weekend.

I gladly defer to others more knowledgeable about panic attacks. I've only ever had 2, years ago, while I was pregnant, so I just assumed my hormones were wonky and kept on truckin'.

But my reading on mindfulness-based approaches to depression has persuaded me there is a very plausible scenario where feelings we try to avoid and not experience (as in tolerate) perversely become more frequent and intense. I can imagine this could also be a factor in ramping up anxiety...but I'm only speculating.

I would guess you are much better informed about anxiety in general than I am, and of course you know yourself, so please feel free to dismiss this suggestion if it seems to lead in the wrong direction. I certainly hope you find some reliable source of relief.

JennK258
11-26-16, 03:28 PM

Was there a particular trigger? I had panic attacks a few years back, and my doc prescribed meds for immediate relief. For me, the trigger was a person in my life, and working with a therapist I limited contact with the person and haven't had a panic attack since.