View Full Version : Appointment! Is it worth to get an autism diagnose?

C15H25N3O
10-31-16, 04:27 PM
I had a first appointment some weeks ago and I already have filled my questionnaires.

I had a call from the autism specialized doctor today and he offered me an appointment in 10 days instead of late january.

First thought was: Yeah, that is great – no more waiting!

Seconf thought: Do I really need a diagnose? I read a lot on autism-forums the last weeks.

I am an autist, 100%, no question. But is such a diagnose worth anything? Is there any help I can get as a "autist"?

I am so much interested in testing Oxycotin but is that 25$ spray really worth a 300-400$ diagnose ... and if oxytocin does not work at all?

Is there any help on autism or is it really untreatable? Is a diagnose worth anything almost if it is being accepted as an autist?

Would you have this expensive appointment or would you cancel it?

What is the image of autism compared to ADHD in your perception?

BellaVita
11-01-16, 05:56 AM
Hello fellow autistic. :D

I can't afford a diagnosis, and the people around me already know I'm autistic. They already accommodate my sensory/other needs and treat me with respect. They don't try to change my behavior and accept me as I am. And help me out in ways they can. For me, right now, a diagnosis isn't worth it.

If you can afford it, and think it might help (like if you need to get put on disability) then it might be a good idea.

I don't think there's much "treatment" for autism, maybe some form of therapy would be helpful for you. I know for me anxiety meds have helped me but that was anxiety, although it did probably often come from some things like sensory overload/dealing with abrupt changes in plan.

The autistic community is generally accepting of those who self-diagnose, which I have found to be quite a supportive thing. I guess many of them are in our shoes.

Okay, my honest opinion about the image of autism in American public: Something that needs a cure, families suffer when their child is autistic, something to "battle against." A neurotypical child locked inside their body and unable to come out without extensive therapy and diet changes and it's a tragedy.
My honest opinion shout the image of ADHD: (Often thought of as over-diagnosed, sometimes even "fake disorder") Hyperactive 7 year old boy, older people who say they have ADHD just want to take speed. Really just lazy.

*Note: I don't think everyone sees the disorders these ways, I'm just speaking of the negative stigmas of the general public in America.

I don't think either are where they need to be when it comes to acceptance and understanding. Lots of ignorance still out there.

But I don't think what the public thinks currently should affect your decision on whether to get a diagnosis - people are learning more as time goes on.

If you can afford the diagnosis and think extra support and resources would help you - I say go for it. If you are okay in life right now, and receiving adequate help and support from those around you (and you can explain you're autistic) then maybe you'll decide you don't need one.

Either way, whatever you decide, know that the autistic community is very supportive and we accept you. :)

C15H25N3O
11-12-16, 12:43 PM
I cant really afford the diagnosis but I do it and I am into it. i had my first interview which
was an huge explosion to illustrate my mind-set including all the crap/stuff others would call
co-morbidities of which I think there is no need to treat as they are part of my personality.

Thinking about the worth of this diagnosis while recognizing and feeling a disability due to being
partial retarded* I think it is worth the money to receive a confirmation not to get put on
disability but to go back to war – war on acceptance and tolerance – and maybe some support
if available.

Sadly the diagnosis seems only to be a label as there is no standard in treatment.
Using amphetamines might be contradicting most autists view on meds but amphetamines dont
work only as stimulants. They can simply improve live quality on autism maybe more than on
ADHD while they treat ADHD better than autism.

I am proud to be different and I dont care if I get a diagnosis or not but I would appreciate
a diagnostic mile-stone as start for self-medication and self-therapy supported by the quacks
instead of being a quacks experimental rat swallowing heavy addictive meds.

i like your reflection about ADHDs and autisms stigmas a lot. Stigmas never fail.
They only tell half the truth while being blind for the other part they call the paradoxon which
becomes complex if it is the diametral-paradoxon.

As so often it needs the blinds to see the invisible.

*Note: I have the right to call myself "partial retarded" in this post judging myself not others.

C15H25N3O
11-21-16, 10:47 AM
I had my second appointment 5 days ago. I will send a mail with some stuff
I want to point out. Now its up to the doc what her diagnosis will be in january.

I dont know if it will be helpful for me to be from autism sprectrum. It will not
solve problems but it will give me another acceptance of myself I think.

As I read inattentive ADHD and ASD have 75% intersections in symptoms and
their interpretation.

I think an advantage of the diagnosis could be not to label myself ADHD or to
use it as an excuse. Sure, there would also be ASD as an excuse but these two
diagnosis make it all quite complex, so I have to reduce divergence to the max,
lelave discrepancy and excuse myself for being myself.

By the way: I dont like all the disorder classifications that could or do label us
because they only tell about symptoms but not about the disorders roots.
Nowadays neuroscience is like a quiz show having no evidences. So I am just
myself, labelled human, no classification and I think all the psychiatric labels
will be gone in the future when they have ways to check the roots of our
different being.

Its time to free my spirit!

C15H25N3O
11-21-16, 11:38 AM
As I read inattentive ADHD and ASD have 75% intersections in symptoms and
their interpretation.

I mean e.g. it is not easy to see the difference in impulsivity and aggression as it functions quite similar.

An attention deficit can also be a lack of interest while special interests are build on easy funtioning in a kind of thinking and understanding.

C15H25N3O
11-21-16, 06:35 PM
The autistic community is generally accepting of those who self-diagnose, which I have found to be quite a supportive thing. I guess many of them are in our shoes.

Okay, my honest opinion about the image of autism in American public: Something that needs a cure, families suffer when their child is autistic, something to "battle against." A neurotypical child locked inside their body and unable to come out without extensive therapy and diet changes and it's a tragedy.
My honest opinion shout the image of ADHD: (Often thought of as over-diagnosed, sometimes even "fake disorder") Hyperactive 7 year old boy, older people who say they have ADHD just want to take speed. Really just lazy.

*Note: I don't think everyone sees the disorders these ways, I'm just speaking of the negative stigmas of the general public in America.

Some of the most honest and true words I have ever read on any ADHD-Forum I registered so let me mention another obvious difference:

The autistic community gave up believing in scientific evidences and most of them deny meds.

The ADHD "community" likes to highlight the evidences to defend their need for highly abusable and highly addictive substances.

I love to be a hybrid of both worlds but both look at me with wariness. :giggle:

Looks like I am at WAR ON EVIDENCES.

BellaVita
11-21-16, 07:28 PM
Some of the most honest and true words I have ever read on any ADHD-Forum I registered so let me mention another obvious difference:

The autistic community gave up believing in scientific evidences and most of them deny meds.

The ADHD "community" likes to highlight the evidences to defend their need for highly abusable and highly addictive substances.

I love to be a hybrid of both worlds but both look at me with wariness. :giggle:

Looks like I am at WAR ON EVIDENCES.

Hey,
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the autistic community gave up believing in scientific evidences, but autistic people I've noticed tend to be quite a scientific bunch. There are no medications specifically designed to treat autism, whereas with ADHD the medications are first-line treatment of the disorder.

:)

C15H25N3O
11-21-16, 08:02 PM
Simply: Abilify is not a billions-seller like Adderall. :scratch:

There are organizations like "Autism speaks" worldwide.

Those organizations are always supported by "leading experts".

Is it the community or single activists rejecting the organizations?

C15H25N3O
11-24-16, 07:09 AM
Dxd.

I dont like the diagnosis because it is not exact but spongy and sounds like a interview
protocol recorded by a grade grubber. Maybe a result of talking too much and mention
ADHD. The doc is young. She is below age 40. I think about a second diagnose not
mentioning other diagnoses at a elder and more experienced doc would be fine.

Best part is a recommendation for amphetamine treatment. That is pure gold if I have
to change my old doc anytime to avoid other docs trying out their experiments having
fear and gasping to prescribe a off-label substance with huge stigma over here.

Rational:
The diagnose as a license is worth the 60 bucks I had to pay on my own.

Pragmatic:
Not worth the paper.

I have an appointment to talk about treatments and I have to define some solid and
scientific arguments to let me try if Oxytocin works. Honestly I hope she will not interpret
it as an ADHD looking for another substance to do experiments. ;)

Winning!

BellaVita
11-24-16, 07:17 AM
Simply: Abilify is not a billions-seller like Adderall. :scratch:

There are organizations like "Autism speaks" worldwide.

Those organizations are always supported by "leading experts".

Is it the community or single activists rejecting the organizations?

I don't think I'm getting what you mean.

The autistic community in general dislikes Autism Speaks, here's some informative reasons why:
http://www.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGCF%25dN%25cS%25cSGurpnssrvAnGrqnHGvFGvpmJ BEqCErFFmpBz%25cScabd%25cSad%25cSaf%25cSJuL-v-nz-ntnvAFG-nHGvFz-FCrnxF-nAq-LBH-FuBHyq-or-GBB-c%25cS

C15H25N3O
11-30-16, 08:40 PM
Oh,

I read in a local asperger forum abilify would be the most prescribed med to treat autism
over here but it is an atypic neuroleptic to treat schizophrenics. I am confused a lot now.

I believe microdosed Dex like 1-2mg could mean autistic life improvement due to its really
superweak and hypersubtle mood lifting effect. It is not easy to differentiate it from a placebo
but the mood lift is true.

C15H25N3O
11-30-16, 09:39 PM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4688331/

Quiescent
06-06-17, 03:25 PM
For me getting a diagnosis of autism them taking my physical symptoms seriously. However there are people in the field who treat people with Autism as if they're the dumbest people on earth. The diagnosis retardation is different than autism however. And can couple together. I don't like when people say you can never overcome autism. I don't like people who treat it like a disease. And people who might diagnosis from a psychiatric standpoint instead of from a doctor or neurologist it can be a little sketchy. They don't treat you with respect as if you have brains and are capable of learning. She just have to watch out for those people. But an Autism diagnosis can really help because you can get certain types of therapies that are going to benefit for your sensory issues and your physical symptoms with pain as well as other issues you might come across like allergies to gluten or casein. And I'm one unlucky person because I got that.

Oh yeah and even a diagnosis of bipolar can look different for for symptoms with autism. Anxiety disorders look different too. I had a hard time getting my PTSD diagnosis because I would sound like I tell stories anyways.