View Full Version : Hello, new here... questions about Concerta

Matty89
11-01-16, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone,

For the past three months, up until a week ago, I was on Strattera(40mg). I found that it worked pretty well, especially with my memory, despite the awful sexual side effects and sleep disturbances. Though, I always felt that my symptoms could be better controlled. Well, I finally decided to talk to my doctor and he prescribed me concerta(54mg). This is day three of taking the medicine as prescribed before 10am(usually around 8am) and I am unsure as to what I am supposed to feel. I would say my ADD is mostly controlled, but I only "FEEL" the medicine working around 3-4pm. I understand this is an extended release delivery system etc.. is this normal for most people? Or am I supposed to absolutely know and feel that the medicine is working all day? I have never taken a medication like this before and from what I've read on the forums it seems as though most people feel something and get a "rush", if you will. Can/will my symptoms still be alleviated even if I don't have the noticeable effects of the stimulant?

Sorry for the novel..

Thanks,

john2100
11-01-16, 06:12 PM
You should definitely feel 54mg concerta.
I've never gotton that high , but I could feel 18mg and 36mg, I cant Imagine 54mg at only 4month on adhd meds.

It never helped me with adhd, it just made me little bit more social and worked as an anti depressive.

Talk to your doctor. If you can't feel 54mg working ,I really doubt he will increase the dose to the next level. Maybe your doc will decide to try something else.

What I felt on 36mg was a feeling as if something was "squeezing my head " can;t explain it that much. A weird kind of focus ,I would say, but not something that was really helping.

dvdnvwls
11-01-16, 06:16 PM
Maybe what you're noticing is when it wears off.

Is it working? (NOT do you feel it working - just IS it working).

Matty89
11-01-16, 08:24 PM
Maybe what you're noticing is when it wears off.

Is it working? (NOT do you feel it working - just IS it working).

I do feel like I can focus better and stay task oriented. I'm going to give it until the end of the week and see how I feel. If the medicine is working I'm fine with not feeling that 3-4pm afternoon "rush" all day long, I just wonder if there is a better medication for me..

john2100
11-01-16, 09:40 PM
I do feel like I can focus better and stay task oriented. I'm going to give it until the end of the week and see how I feel. If the medicine is working I'm fine with not feeling that 3-4pm afternoon "rush" all day long, I just wonder if there is a better medication for me..

Give it 2 weeks. I does changes how you feel after a while.
Also there still maybe some effects from stratera left,

Matty89
11-02-16, 02:36 PM
You should definitely feel 54mg concerta.
I've never gotton that high , but I could feel 18mg and 36mg, I cant Imagine 54mg at only 4month on adhd meds.

It never helped me with adhd, it just made me little bit more social and worked as an anti depressive.

Talk to your doctor. If you can't feel 54mg working ,I really doubt he will increase the dose to the next level. Maybe your doc will decide to try something else.

What I felt on 36mg was a feeling as if something was "squeezing my head " can;t explain it that much. A weird kind of focus ,I would say, but not something that was really helping.

I'm definitely feeling that "squeezed head" situation you described. Very odd, I'm not sure if I'm focused though.

john2100
11-02-16, 06:47 PM
I'm definitely feeling that "squeezed head" situation you described. Very odd, I'm not sure if I'm focused though.

Whats weird is that that feeling "weird pressure around my head" was only on generic concerta. I've never tried brand.

Also ritalin which is IR concerta felt different too.

Ritaln from ....I cant remember made it, made me totally over the place,It took me 3 hours to start I job.

Then I tried some other ritalin, again I cant remeber manufact,,this one gave me energy and better focus.

Then I had some sandoz ritalin , which was working quite nice.

Concerta was the worst from them all.

Matty89
11-02-16, 08:11 PM
Whats weird is that that feeling "weird pressure around my head" was only on generic concerta. I've never tried brand.

Also ritalin which is IR concerta felt different too.

Ritaln from ....I cant remember made it, made me totally over the place,It took me 3 hours to start I job.

Then I tried some other ritalin, again I cant remeber manufact,,this one gave me energy and better focus.

Then I had some sandoz ritalin , which was working quite nice.

Concerta was the worst from them all.

Im on the Actavis generic for Concerta. Ive also been avoiding coffee or juice(anything acidic really) for an hour after I take the medicine to try and narrow down what might be causing a lack of "effect", so that when I do speak to my doctor I can be confident that it is just my own biology that seems to be the problem lol

john2100
11-02-16, 09:15 PM
Im on the Actavis generic for Concerta. Ive also been avoiding coffee or juice(anything acidic really) for an hour after I take the medicine to try and narrow down what might be causing a lack of "effect", so that when I do speak to my doctor I can be confident that it is just my own biology that seems to be the problem lol

54mg is pretty high dose at to start with , if you dont feel it, then what is next?
72mg ? I think that is pretty close to max daily dose allowed. (72mg)

Some take up to 110mg a day,but i took them many years to get there.

I could feel concerta effect regardless of what i ate.
Caffeine made it even more stronger,
I didnt even need caffeine on concerta.

I can't imagene any food to have such a great effect to diminishes the effect to the point where you are wondering if you even feel it.

I was on activis too,I hate it as I devepoed some weird stomach pain.

Ritalin IR was much better then ,

ADDon1
11-03-16, 04:37 AM
How was it at 3-4pm before the meds? When regular balanced people without ADD come home after work, they have used say 50-75% of their energy for that day. For people with ADD it's often more like they have used 100-125%. Maybe you're near your 'limit' around this time of day? And as a result of that feeling the concerta kicking your butt. Like a good strong Espresso when feeling dull. Just thinking out loud :) But as said, meds need to settle so it might be a totally different story next week or month.