View Full Version : Brand name medication insurance help

john2100
11-02-16, 08:33 AM
Hello

I have problem getting brand name meds with my insurance covered.

I'm self -employed with insurance through health exchange.

How do you make your insurance cover brand name drugs?

Many times brand name is listed as non-formulary, meaning,that it is not covered .

I see people here taking, strattera,aplenzin which are really expensive.
These dont even have generic yet.

But even if they have generic,i still can't have them covered.

What kind of insurance should I get to have those drugs covered?

Thanks.

Socaljaxs
11-02-16, 09:46 AM
Hello

I have problem getting brand name meds with my insurance covered.

I'm self -employed with insurance through health exchange.

How do you make your insurance cover brand name drugs?

Many times brand name is listed as non-formulary, meaning,that it is not covered .

I see people here taking, strattera,aplenzin which are really expensive.
These dont even have generic yet.

But even if they have generic,i still can't have them covered.

What kind of insurance should I get to have those drugs covered?

Thanks.

medications, depending on your current plan may not be part of the plan overall, also most of the time generic will be the only one covered and unless your doctor specifies to use brand name only most pharmacies will fill/refill with generic.. I don't know your individual insurance health plan. However I do recommend looking again at the plan details in terms of prescriptions...

it is possible you may need to addan (to your current plan) a supplemental prescription drug plan. Also, look st the manufacturer websites for coupons... Also, google search "discount prescription cards" many options exist along with some major pharmacy have discount programs already set up for generic...

20thcenturyfox
11-02-16, 11:49 PM
Might not help you get coverage but there is a generic out for Strattera.

It's not cheap, though. Costs me $86.95/mo Canadian at Costco (equiv to $US64.90).

john2100
11-03-16, 06:41 AM
medications, depending on your current plan may not be part of the plan overall, also most of the time generic will be the only one covered and unless your doctor specifies to use brand name only most pharmacies will fill/refill with generic.. I don't know your individual insurance health plan. However I do recommend looking again at the plan details in terms of prescriptions...

it is possible you may need to addan (to your current plan) a supplemental prescription drug plan. Also, look st the manufacturer websites for coupons... Also, google search "discount prescription cards" many options exist along with some major pharmacy have discount programs already set up for generic...

manufacturers coupon will not help me ,as you need to have almost no income and also they are very tricky the way they are advertised.

Example was nuvigil...First 30pills free, then you get up to $80/month off . If meds are $1200 /month it useless anyway.

I'll look at that suplimentl drug coverage.