View Full Version : Adderall and possible SPD

11-02-16, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

I am a junior in high school, and I was just diagnosed with ADD last semester. Along with ADD I was diagnosed with dysthymia depression, anxiety, auditory processing disorder, and oppositional deffiant disorder. The psychologist also mentioned I had "aspergery traits."

Right now I am in the trial and error stage of trying to find the right medicine and dosage. They originally tried me on Concerta which made me very irritable, tired, and when I would come off of it, all of my energy that I couldn't let out through out the day, all came out at once. Now they have me on Adderall. They originally started me on a 10mg dose and I didnt really feel any difference at all. Until I ran out, then I noticed how unfocused I was without it. So they upped my dose yesterday to 20mg. It made me very quiet. I feel mentally tired, my eyes feel tired, but my body doesn't feel tired. (Similair to the concerta). I feel much more focused, however my environment is still very distracting to me. Every noise and movement in the classroom throws me out of focus. I can hear everything, such as people shuffling around, pages flipping, people whispering, the projector buzzing, people in the hallway talking. People jiggling around, or anytime someone gets up distracts me. Not to mention I am still craving proproceptive input. Sometimes I have to leave class to walk around because I feel like I'm going to explode if i don't do SOMETHING. sometimes my muscles will start aching and I just feel like I need to be squeezed or like I need to slam into a wall. It has actually actually gotten bad enough that I have asked my friends to bear hug me, or I will talk someone into wrestling me at school. (Thank God my administration likes me, or else I would never get away with the stuff I do.)

I guess I'm just really confused about everything. Without the medicine, I feel completely out of control, and act mostly on impulse. However, even though I hate not being able to control myself, I also like my personality. I am very creative, and spontaneous and I sometimes surprise myself with some of my impulsive decisions, and it often makes for a fun story to tell, or it creates a good laugh, and I love that about me. With the medicine I almost feel "too in control" and I don't like the tired feeling. But I'm honestly scared that if I don't take the medicine, that I'm going to do something dumb and end up in jail, or injuring myself.

And I feel like the Adderall is doing what it is supposed to do. I feel a difference. I'm able to focus pretty well until something in my environment throws me off, and I simply can't block it out. It drives me insane because it's almost like a whole other focus issue besides the ADD. Im not diagnosed but I feel like I strongly identify with SPD sensory seeking type, with some avoidance behaviors. And on top of that I have auditory processing disorder, which is another attention issue, that can't be treated.

Does anyone else have experience with SPD and ADD? Did you feel that there was 'something' more, after you got treated for your ADD? Does any one else not like the way their medicine changes their personality? If so how did you deal with it?

I guess I'm just really confused, and maybe I just need some time to re- identify with my new "nuerotypical mind." I'm just having a hard time with not being creative, or 'fun.'

Thank you for any responses!

ToneTone
11-02-16, 11:44 PM
Basically, you can tell this exact story--contradictions and mixed feelings and all--to your prescribing doctor and to any other mental healthcare person you are working with.

This is exactly the kind of information the doctor needs to make sense of how the medicine is affecting you.

Basically, that's our job as patients to be really specific and detailed about the good effects of the meds, the bad effect and the mixed effects or unsure effects.

The more detailed a picture we provide the doctor with, the more clearly a good doctor can think--like think about patients who have had similar issues and how those issues were resolved.

You'll get some responses, but our bodies are all different. And I think the important point is for you to trust your own assessment of the medications and share that with the doctor.

When's your next appointment?

Tone

11-03-16, 06:17 AM
My next appointment will be in like 3 months. She wrote me three scrips for adderall xr. And said to make an appointment after I fill the last scrip.

Cyllya
11-05-16, 02:47 AM
I'm diagnosed with ADHD, and self-diagnosed with SPD.

It's kind of difficult to get treatment for sensory issues since SPD isn't in the DSM and won't be diagnosed or even acknowledged by a lot of mental health professionals. (The reason it's not in the DSM is because opponents are convinced everyone with SPD actually just has something else like ADHD or ASD... and that's actually true in our case, but it's not like an ADHD diagnosis will get you any help for SPD symptoms! :mad:) Sensory issues are somewhat more acknowledged in autism, so you might find helpful tips amount

I had a lot of problems with SPD symptoms when I was in school. I didn't know I had the problem then, which made it even worse, but even now, most of my coping techniques involve avoidance.

A quick-and-cheap stim for joint pressure (proprioception) is to push your hands together in front of chest as hard as you can for several seconds.

There's also something called a squeeze machine aka hug box you might benefit from. Granted, you probably can't take it to school. I'm not sure how much it costs either.

My next appointment will be in like 3 months. She wrote me three scrips for adderall xr. And said to make an appointment after I fill the last scrip.

Three months off when you're in the trial-and-error phase? I think you were only supposed to wait the full three months if everything went well.

sarahsweets
11-05-16, 08:09 AM

Yes but, you do not have to wait three months if you need help now.