View Full Version : Chicago Cubs: World Series 2016 Champions!

aeon
11-03-16, 12:55 AM
**** yes!

Pop, I'm sad you couldn't be here to see it...but it really did happen! :yes:

Cubs Fan for Life,
Ian

stef
11-03-16, 01:01 AM
I was going to look this morning but I have pop up headlines as soon as I turn on my ipad
My college friends from Chicago must be going perfectly insane!

Simargl
11-03-16, 01:02 AM
Yeeeeaaaaaaah! Go Cubbies!!!

Here's to the Cubs and the rain that reset the game!

Jeftheginger
11-03-16, 01:03 AM
Yea that was a good game. Wow

Simargl
11-03-16, 01:23 AM
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

namazu
11-03-16, 02:54 AM
How'd you end up a Cubs fan rather than a Twins fan, aeon?

Hopefully it won't go to people's heads and make them insufferable like fans of certain East Coast teams who won World Series after lengthy droughts. :)

psychopathetic
11-03-16, 08:05 AM
I didn't watch the game, but I'm really happy they won after 108 years! That's pretty dang neat :D

stef
11-03-16, 09:39 AM
I got a little teary-eyed, reading all about this on ESPN site this morning on my way into work. Wow, just wow! And it's not even "my" team (although I've always liked the Cubs).

This may be one of the greatest moments in sports, ever. And I say this having seen the 1998 world cup.

aeon
11-03-16, 10:19 AM
How'd you end up a Cubs fan rather than a Twins fan, aeon?

My parents were both Cubs fans, and in particular, my Father, Captain Oblivious...if there was one thing that could focus him, it was a Cubs game. I mean, he would keep a scorecard for games on television, and he had decades of stats in his head that he could recall effortlessly...but only when the game was on.

Also, I was born in Chicago, and despite moving all over as a kid, I was in Chicago for 20 years before coming to the Twin Cities.

Hopefully it won't go to people's heads and make them insufferable like fans of certain East Coast teams who won World Series after lengthy droughts. :)

I am National League through and through, but I cannot deny I have a special love for the Boston Red Sox.

Their Game 7 comeback and win of the ALCS in 2004 over the Yankees is my single-greatest sports moment I have ever seen for pure sport, hope beyond reason, drama...and then to sweep those *********** Cardinals in the Series. :D

But yeah, I donít think Cubs fans will let this go to their heads...but they will be happy. :)

Pinch Me,
Ian

Simargl
11-03-16, 10:35 AM
and then to sweep those *********** Cardinals in the Series. :D

Hey now....

I'm extremely happy for the Cubs and all.. but.... Urm.. Nope. ;)

stef
11-03-16, 11:01 AM
I wish I had been there when the Twins won, that was quite a few years ago.

aeon
11-03-16, 11:11 AM
Hey now....

I'm extremely happy for the Cubs and all.. but.... Urm.. Nope. ;)

Hehe, actually, much respect for the Cardinals, but I canít deny it was a pleasure to see them trounced that year.

OK, in years past it was a respect born of...fear. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Fusion.gif

And disappointment. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Wall.gif

Iíve been to Wrigley when it was 38įF and constant wind in the stands, only to witness the Cubs get spanked by the Cardinals. I mean, not just beaten, but shamed.

I love baseball in general, and I really love small ball, and as a youngíin I learned how it was done by watching the Cardinals with my father.

He would point out what they were doing and say ďSee how they took advantage of that weakness and advanced the runners, those *********** Cardinals?Ē :D

Little Bears eat Little Birds,
Ian

Little Missy
11-03-16, 11:29 AM
Fine, whatever, but I remember when the Tigers won the pennant. Whatever that is.

1968 was a good year.

I've never seen a baseball game in my life.

Little Missy
11-03-16, 11:30 AM
I don't even think Wyoming has any teams. :scratch:

aeon
11-03-16, 11:42 AM
I remember when the Tigers won the pennant. Whatever that is.

Thereís something sweet about that. :cool:

1968 was a good year.

Yep, because my parents got busy, and the next year, I was born!

I've never seen a baseball game in my life.

To go to a game, thereís no better place to preen and strut.

Because there was a time when men and women got dressed to go to a baseball game.

And they became Ladies and Gentlemen.

Shoes were shined, fedoras, hairpins.

WTF am I doing to myself...Iím in some emotional timewarp to an era before I was born. :doh:

Overstimulated,
Ian

stef
11-03-16, 11:47 AM
Because there was a time when men and women got dressed to go to a baseball game.

WTF am I doing to myself...Iím in some emotional timewarp to an era before I was born. :doh:

Overstimulated,
Ian

Not quite the era, but my parents had partial season tickets for the Twins in the early 60's. My mom still knew all the jargon and the most obscure rules. she said that Tony Olivia's inside the park homerun in (I think? ) the 1963 pennant race, was the most exciting thing she had ever seen.

Little Missy
11-03-16, 11:54 AM
Thereís something sweet about that. :cool:

Yep, because my parents got busy, and the next year, I was born!

To go to a game, thereís no better place to preen and strut.

Overstimulated,
Ian

Really, you silly old schmaltzer.

Going anywhere like that was a no-no. Well, my entire family, ooooh! all four of us, hated sports. Crowds were forbidden. We did go to Cedar Point every year though. All my parents did was eat French fries with vinegar on them there.

My brother built and launched rockets, had a Honda 70 and had a Detroit News paper station in our garage. I took riding and piano lessons.

I never knew my dad had PTSD so bad that all he could do was go to downtown Detroit almost 7 days a week to work for The Detroit News. Talk about a nightmare for him! My parents hid it from me. No, actually, I was out to lunch since the 60's so finding that out was a shock in the 90's!! Where was I? Oh! Mummy and I shopped a lot. In a nutshell.

Little Missy
11-03-16, 11:58 AM
My poor dad, the guys at work always had a game pool, you know, a betting board or whatever and my dad would just do any one and lay out the money and damn if he didn't win almost every time and they all hated him because they knew he didn't pay attention to sports!

The perils of trying to get along with the guys.

aeon
11-03-16, 12:56 PM
My poor dad, the guys at work always had a game pool, you know, a betting board or whatever and my dad would just do any one and lay out the money and damn if he didn't win almost every time and they all hated him because they knew he didn't pay attention to sports!

The perils of trying to get along with the guys.

True, true.

But for myself, I came to love when guys would play those group games.

Because it was an opportunity to go visit their gals and talk about...other things. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Yaisse.gif

All Good Things to You,
Ian

aeon
11-03-16, 12:59 PM
she said that Tony Olivia's inside the park homerun in (I think? ) the 1963 pennant race, was the most exciting thing she had ever seen.

Your Motherís standards are nonpareil, her taste exemplary, and may she rest in peace forever and always. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/prostern.gif

Fedora removed,
Ian

stef
11-03-16, 01:13 PM
When my son was in middle school/HS, in the summer she would say "you watch whatever you want, I'm recording my show" (which she would watch the next morning so she could zap through commercials), and would pick up her book. five mn later:
"struck out looking!"
"bases loaded!" (to my son); "see, look the 3rd base coach is gonna wave him through!"

Fuzzy12
11-03-16, 01:17 PM
I've got no idea who they are or what they play but I everytimd i read the thread title i imagine little lion cubs playing football with little bear cubs and hitting a.little ball around with their little paws...

stef
11-03-16, 01:18 PM
I've got no idea who they are or what they play but I everytimd i read the thread title i imagine little lion cubs playing football with little bear cubs and hitting a.little ball around with their little paws...

Baseball! it's a bit like cricket I think. :)

aeon
11-03-16, 02:37 PM
Baseball! it's a bit like cricket I think. :)

Do not blaspheme in my thread.

Thank You,
Ian :lol:

stef
11-03-16, 02:46 PM

Thank You,

Trying to explain to the uninitated :)

Fuzzy12
11-03-16, 03:14 PM

Thank You,

If there's one thing this forum is missing it's cricket! !!!:eek::cool:

I know what baseball is though and I think it's adorable that there is a team called cubs and lm happy they've won something. (I think they have right????)

finallyfound10
11-03-16, 05:29 PM
I am VERY happy that the Cubs won!!! I was rooting for them since it had been over 100 years!!

aeon
11-03-16, 05:39 PM
So I walk into Jimmy John’s to get a late lunch, and the manager sees my Cubs warmup jacket/shell and points at me and says:

“Nice! Free sandwich!”

Typical me response, especially when I haven’t eaten: teary-eyed

Grateful,
Ian

Little Missy
11-03-16, 06:30 PM

I know what baseball is though and I think it's adorable that there is a team called cubs and lm happy they've won something. (I think they have right????)

So, are you saying that you're a Furry or a Fuzzy?

Little Missy
11-03-16, 06:31 PM
So I walk into Jimmy Johnís to get a late lunch, and the manager sees my Cubs warmup jacket/shell and points at me and says:

ďNice! Free sandwich!Ē

Typical me response, especially when I havenít eaten: teary-eyed

Grateful,
Ian

Does it look cool and retro? :)

aeon
11-03-16, 06:51 PM
Does it look cool and retro? :)

It looks...classic. :)

Little Missy
11-03-16, 07:13 PM
It looks...classic. :)

oooooh!!! My eyes just went girl-burned-house-down-for-you-BIG...:)

Little Missy
11-03-16, 07:16 PM

okayyyy, but when you watch The Godfather and they play For He's A Jolly Good Fellow on the accordion and you think its The Bear Goes Over The Mountain, let me know.