View Full Version : How long should ADHD medication last me?

Jill22089
11-03-16, 05:57 PM
in general when you take your adhd medication what time are you looking for it to last til? when is an appropriate time for it to wear off? my goal is 9 pm, does that sound optimal or is that on the late side? in your opinion.

dvdnvwls
11-03-16, 06:49 PM
Which medication is it? And what amount did your doctor prescribe?

Jeftheginger
11-03-16, 06:56 PM
Yea what medication are you asking about. If you want a long lasting medicine so that you only have to remember one pill a day, I would suggest concerta it is a long lasting form of Ritalin it usualy lasts about 8-10 hours

john2100
11-03-16, 07:04 PM
in general when you take your adhd medication what time are you looking for it to last til? when is an appropriate time for it to wear off? my goal is 9 pm, does that sound optimal or is that on the late side? in your opinion.

-What time do you plan to take it?
-Kind kind?

Theoretically you can have it last as long as you are awake.This is achieved with IR medication or XR meds with combination wit IR as a kicker.

Jeftheginger
11-03-16, 07:06 PM
-What time do you plan to take it?
-Kind kind?

Theoretically you can have it last as long as you are awake.This is achieved with IR medication or XR meds with combination wit IR as a kicker.
Wow did not know that:thankyou:

Little Missy
11-03-16, 07:11 PM
And to think I've been cave-manning it all of these years...

Jill22089
11-03-16, 07:34 PM
im on 60 mg vyvanse lasts 7 hours so they adding an IR

john2100
11-04-16, 06:21 AM
Wow did not know that:thankyou:

Practically this may not be a great idea. Maybe there are some health concerns if taken every single day to achieve 14-16h coverage.

Could someone answer if there are any know problems with extending meds effective duration from let say 10ha day to 16h a day, besides sleep problems?

Bluechoo
11-04-16, 08:52 AM
In my experience, both XR and IR formulations of adderall/mixed-amphetamines always last longer than I think. I can get 12 hours from an XR, and I have noticed it working after 16 hours before, albeit very subtly. But I can go to sleep on it at that point, so it is not a huge concern. I've read somewhere else that adderall XR can stay in the system up to 24 hours.

sarahsweets
11-04-16, 09:02 AM
I have rarely met anyone including myself for whom vyvanse lasts the full 12 hours.

Jill22089
11-04-16, 11:57 AM
it doesnt sarah it lasts me 7 hours. thats why im adding the IR, it will be perfect coverage once its added because its lasts til 330 pm right now. i need it to last til 9 due to work ending at 9 pm and my AA meetings ending at 9 on the weekends my Dr wants it to last through the meetings and work she said il just fiddle with the time each day of when to take the IR depending on what time i need to be and leave somewhere so say it wears off 330 and i have a meeting at 8 i would take it at 4, it would last til 9.