View Full Version : Questions about a drug test

persephoneia
11-03-16, 06:49 PM
The company I'm hoping to get a job with does drug testing. I'm worried about whether my ADHD medication will show up or not. I only take it twice a week because I only take it when I have class. Because of this, the pills I'm taking are from a Sept. prescription. If it comes up and I'm asked to prove that they're prescription, would this be fine or can I just have my doctor's office fax them something?

Little Missy
11-03-16, 07:17 PM
Ask what they wish for you to bring along with your urine. :) Or blood, I suppose.

persephoneia
11-03-16, 07:28 PM
I'm just worried that my prescription will be considered invalid since it's from Sept.

Little Missy
11-03-16, 07:38 PM
I'm just worried that my prescription will be considered invalid since it's from Sept.

All you have to do is ask them beforehand.

persephoneia
11-03-16, 07:49 PM
I really don't get what you're trying to say. If I take a drug test and only have an invalid prescription, asking beforehand isn't going to make a difference. It's still going to be invalid and result in a positive drug test.

Little Missy
11-03-16, 08:09 PM

It will be considered invalid if you are not taking them as prescribed. If that invalidates your Rx, then go get a new one.

namazu
11-03-16, 08:13 PM
Do you have anything to lose by calling the doctor for documentation? (Will they charge you or be a pain about it?)

If the drug test isn't imminent, maybe you could even get an updated prescription, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the validity of the prescription.

Good luck with the job application process!

finallyfound10
11-03-16, 08:45 PM
I was only taking my ADHD meds on days I was in school (3 days a week) so the date on my bottle was "old." I didn't even think about it when I took a drug test for my current job and showed them the bottle at the testing site. It worked out ok but it could've gone badly.

I do think getting an updated script or letter from your doc to show them at the testing site is a good idea.

persephoneia
11-03-16, 09:06 PM
Do you have anything to lose by calling the doctor for documentation? (Will they charge you or be a pain about it?)

If the drug test isn't imminent, maybe you could even get an updated prescription, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the validity of the prescription.

Good luck with the job application process!

No, the only problem is that my doctor is in my hometown 6 hours away so I have no way to get an updated prescription. I can only get stuff that's faxed.

sarahsweets
11-04-16, 05:07 AM
No, the only problem is that my doctor is in my hometown 6 hours away so I have no way to get an updated prescription. I can only get stuff that's faxed.

Have the doctor write a brief statement saying you are under their care and what you are prescribed and have them fax it to you.
Why do you only take meds so infrequently?

jkimbo
12-04-16, 06:55 PM
pdocs actually have pre-made templates for letters like this. They just basically fill in your name, dosage and sign it :)

You can call them and see if they can't mail or email a note for you, though you may need the original and have to come in person to pick it up.