View Full Version : Down in the trenches

Charmcityguy22
11-04-16, 04:14 PM
Im going to try to make this as short as I can,I might of already posted this before but today it's bad. So basically I feel like my life is on its last straw and I can't figure out how to make it better,so I broke my spine 9 years ago and was told by my surgeon who did the operation on my that is not be able to work and would have to live with my parents for 6 months,which I totally understood seeing my just broke my spine.but the problem with doing that was it became like a drug to me in the way that I did nothing for 6 months and became addicted to that lifestyle of not having to work or what have you,here I am 9 years later not being Able to change that.i literally lived the vacation lifestyle for 6 months and never could change.but as years went by I tried to change and for the little things in life that was easy as I started taking medication for the ADHD I have. The only thing that is holding me back is the job which I have not had for 9 years.

I'm still supported by my parents and have law
suit funds to lean back on which is helpful but will not last me long.
What else I lack is drive,I've been given everything my whole life and not really had to work hard for anything which has kinda messed with my life which in turn is bringing me down. I can't find work to save my life and I don't have to many hobbies that I enjoy other than running and cycling.i run half marathons and such and am an avid cyclist but not much else.

I just need to figure out of to better my life now so when im 50 I will not be a wreck like I am.Medication works but it's not a life saver,it's help for 60 percent of my life and the other 40 is up to me that's where the not having any drive comes into play. I'm supposed to start taking Lexapro for Anxiety issues but am afraid to start due to side effects.

Hopefully if I do be brave and start the Lexapro it will better my life somewhat and minimize my anxiety and panic issues and somehow I have more drive and will be able to focus on bettering my life,but right now I need to start small.like a newborn baby I need to gradually get my life back.

Thanks for the replys and I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week.

As well let me know how SSRI's such as Lexapro helped you.

dvdnvwls
11-04-16, 04:34 PM
You don't need bravery to start Lexapro. You need a glass of water and two seconds. Go take it.

dvdnvwls
11-04-16, 04:38 PM
I think I know a lot of how you're feeling.

Change something now, before you're forced, if possible. Before you run out of time and out of choices. Change is not easy, but being forced to change when you have no time and no choice is far worse.

Charmcityguy22
11-04-16, 06:28 PM
Indeed,I need to start now and start slow but need to start by taking my first Lexapro dose as it can't hurt thanks for the reply.

dvdnvwls
11-04-16, 06:31 PM
Did you take it yet?

Bluechoo
11-05-16, 02:03 PM
Maybe a support group would help motivate you; when you start to turn the tide around in your life, sharing your story with others who are struggling could be a huge benefit to them and you. The story of your success can begin in any moment. It starts with you saying "I can..."

Charmcityguy22
11-05-16, 08:00 PM
Indeed,im taking it before I go to bed tonight,I'm just worried it will me with my heart rate as my heart is already slow.and one have issues with the heart rate and Lexapro?if not I'm going to start it tonight if it's an issue I have an appointment with my doctor monday.

cobain67
11-05-16, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't have issues with heart rate. I was on it 8 or so yrs with no issue in that regard.

Best of luck

sarahsweets
11-06-16, 08:23 AM
When it comes to a job- you have to fake it til you make it. If you dont have drive and all that, force yourself out of your comfort zone even if you think its useless.

dreamealot
11-06-16, 09:17 PM
There are other medications out there. See if your doctor will give you Celexa, but you should take something to help you feel better. Best wishes.

Charmcityguy22
11-08-16, 05:53 PM
Thank you Cobain for the reply as im going to start taking it tonight before bed.and thanks for all of the other replys..aso well I'm going to give this med a try and after weeks if it does not seem to help i'll try something else.

Little Missy
11-08-16, 06:04 PM
Thank you Cobain for the reply as im going to start taking it tonight before bed.and thanks for all of the other replys..aso well I'm going to give this med a try and after weeks if it does not seem to help i'll try something else.

I always hate to give any advice but I took one Lexapro and I was up all night rocking on the couch.

I can't remember the dose now, it was 11 or more years ago but my mum took it for 7 years and she always took it in the morning.

It doesn't say am or pm on the bottle?

BellaVita
11-08-16, 07:57 PM
Yeah I'm with Little Missy - I had a not-so-wonderful reaction in that it gave me too much energy, I was giddy and laughing at ridiculous things, my anxiety got way worse and I couldn't sleep.

Some people need a benzo added for the side-effects when they first start it for a couple weeks.

If you find you cannot tolerate it after a pill ask your doctor about adding a med to take with it in the beginning stages while you adjust to the dosage.

Also: eat with it! It might make you sick to your stomach if taken without food.

Charmcityguy22
11-08-16, 11:25 PM
Ok great thanks! One the bottle it says once a day but my PDoc said take it at night.

cobain67
11-10-16, 04:41 PM
How are you feeling?

Charmcityguy22
11-15-16, 10:50 PM
I'm taking my first dose tonight around 10 pm

Charmcityguy22
11-15-16, 10:54 PM
I'm still feeling very down and out if that's even a term,might da has been ok,but the de realization was bad today so I'm going to just break down and take the med around 10 and hope the first night goes well.you will never know until you try.

cobain67
11-16-16, 12:43 AM
I'm still feeling very down and out if that's even a term,might da has been ok,but the de realization was bad today so I'm going to just break down and take the med around 10 and hope the first night goes well.you will never know until you try.

Best wishes. Let us know how you're feeling along the way. :)

Charmcityguy22
11-16-16, 05:09 PM
I took my first dose last night around 10pm,I mustered up the confidence to just take it.i had a bad day yesterday and needed to just give in and take it. I kinda of kicked in after an hour and i never really noticed any side effects other than sleepiness and a little loss of feeling in my mind.I woke up around 8:40 like usual and went a few hours before I took my Concerta dose as i was afraid of the two medications interacting,in that time period I was feeling a bit emotional,feels of being the dumps and feeling great.

I called my Pharmacist and spoke to her and she told me to take the Concerta and interactions between the two are rare.I took it and an hour later my mood leveled out.I feel more clear headed now,not sure if that due to the Lexapro or what have you. Now I just need to stay on top of taking the Lexapro at night and Continue the concerta in the morning.I do feel a bit of head numbness and tingling but I guess that's normal on Lexapro but what I dont feel is down in the dumps. Thanks for the reply's.

I'Lloyd keep everyone updated as days go by.

Please keep replying as its a life saver for me.

cobain67
11-16-16, 05:23 PM
Nice, good job. I personally found Lexapro accentuated Adderall XR really well, and kept mood steady, keeping the liws I would experience in mood minimal. I'll be here to support you as best I can. Keep us posted friend. ☺

FogNoggin
11-16-16, 05:58 PM
Sitting here thinking how funny and ironic that you are having anxiety over taking an anti-anxiety pill.
:giggle:

Charmcityguy22
11-16-16, 11:43 PM
I'm feeling better today,I write a whole couple paragraphs that must of been delwted,but i'll jump back on tomorrow and key you all know what's going on.sorry im just to tired right to type alot.sorry

Charmcityguy22
11-17-16, 01:07 AM
I'm also feeling something called emotional blunting,is that a side effect on Lexapro and will it go away.basically I feel brain fog and have little emotion as well my mind is not racing anymore

cobain67
11-17-16, 01:10 AM
I'm also feeling something called emotional blunting,is that a side effect on Lexapro and will it go away.basically I feel brain fog and have little emotion as well my mind is not racing anymore

It can be, though usually it gets better with time. I found it lasted a few weeks, then improved and I actually felt more deeply, but in a more optimistic way.

Charmcityguy22
11-17-16, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replys

Charmcityguy22
11-17-16, 10:34 AM
Oh great so i should stick it out.I have a meeating with my PDoc today so i'll mention it that him.

Charmcityguy22
11-18-16, 04:15 PM
Today i work up after takimg the Lexapro dose last night and all day ive been experiancing mood swings,my mood will go from happy and positive one minute to down and negative the next.

cobain67
11-18-16, 05:03 PM
In the beginning this is normal, at least in my experience. You should notice a lessening in time with this as you adjust. Off meds now I get mood swings regularly, and found the medication really improved the severity of them, but again, steady relief wasn't instantaneous. Relief was, but steady relief took a little time. Keep it up. ☺

Charmcityguy22
11-18-16, 05:06 PM
Great! Im going to continue taking it and hopefully the mood swings will not be to bad moving forward.good thing is i know whats causing them so its not a mystery.the concerta kind of levels them out but not as much as i would hope.

dvdnvwls
11-18-16, 05:23 PM
I'm glad you decided to begin, and glad that it seems OK so far. Keep notes on what's good about it and what's not good about it, so you can tell your doctor as complete a picture as possible.

Good job!

Charmcityguy22
11-19-16, 10:52 AM
So it's day 4 and I've woken up the past two days feeling really really depressed and down,I'm not even taking it foe those reasons and don't like to feel this way at all.i know it takes weeks to become therapudic,my Pdoc does not work on the weekends but if I stop taking this medication as in not take it tonight will it be horrible since it's not been in my body long?

cobain67
11-19-16, 01:52 PM
You should be fine. That's not long enough to have any trouble with cessation.

Best wishes.

Charmcityguy22
11-19-16, 02:14 PM
Ok thanks,i would stick it out but cant handle the ups and downs its giving me,last night i split the pill to make it a lower dose and today still feel the ups and downs.

Charmcityguy22
11-19-16, 02:15 PM
I'll be in touch with my Pdoc next week and hopefully he is not unhappy.

dvdnvwls
11-19-16, 03:05 PM
Don't even consider his happiness. Only consider collaborating with him to find out what works. Please note though, often with psychiatrists that collaboration involves a significant amount of you doing as you're told without modifying his plans. That is simply how it's done.

Charmcityguy22
11-19-16, 07:12 PM
I understand,but i just dont like feeling depressed,i should stick on course with the medication but it just seems to much for my body to handle. And i want to be happy.

Charmcityguy22
11-19-16, 07:14 PM
I wish there was an anxiety medication that worked much quicker with less side effects,the Concerta kind of fills the void but not as much as i would like,are beta blockers something to look into?or do they take time to work as well.

dvdnvwls
11-19-16, 08:20 PM
Why "look into" any of these things? What's your point?

Instead, look into talking with your psychiatrist. That's what he's there for. He knows better than you do. Trust him. If you don't trust him, find a psychiatrist who you do trust. And then actually trust that one.

You can't succeed by "looking into" various drugs yourself. You're not a doctor, and you don't know what you would need to know to have any success at self-prescribing.

cobain67
11-21-16, 03:42 PM
Just a check-up--- How are you feeling? Do you need any support?

Hope all's well..