View Full Version : Strattera journal, Starting at 3rd week

hendrix
11-06-16, 09:41 AM
I thought I'd give a bit of a journal on my Strattera experience. I'm currently on 58mg, and heading to 80 mg next week. The titration process is as follows

Week 1 - 18mg
Week 2 - 36mg
Week 3 - 58mg
Week 4 - 80mg

Background

I'm a 32 year old male, and always felt in a fog with difficult times concentrating. Out of synch with others socially, and have some social anxiety that doesn't seem to go away no matter how hard I work on it. I often leave a conversation and haven't been really listenting the entire time, and find myself dazing into my own head instead.

I'm a fairly deep thinker, and analyzer but my head is always jumping from one topic to another.

After beggining a second administrative job (quite the first one quickly), I just felt like I was drowning with keeping organized, and would get really anxious as it was like I couldn't remember everything I needed to do, nor the proceesess, and it felt like I was bound to fail hard.

I went to my Dr, and we started out with Concerta. First few days were aweome, but then I felt like I was strung out after. Higher anxiety, and roller coasters of emotions getting very irritable and anxious when it wore off at night.

We switched to Strattera. I've been taking it slow.

Starting Strattera

Week 1 - Thought I felt a little bit of concentration boost in the first week, but it faded I think and could have been placebo. I did do a bit better of a job completing some work on my home. Sleep was sketchy, with waking up at 3am probably half the days and having trouble falling back a sleep.

Week 2 - The first day I had very high anxiety and probably a panic attack. My mind was very cloudy and couldn't figure out anything at work. ADD feeling on steroids. I calmed down and was fine anxiety wise the next week. Things seemed a bit easier to figure out at work, and easier to stay focused on things I don't enjoy, like work once I was focused on it. That seemed to come and go from time to time but so subtle very hard to peg it all to Strat. Side effects wise, shallow sleep, and waking up early without being able to fall back a sleep. But also feels like I need less sleep. Also, during sex, I've been cumming before orgasm.

Week 3 - Now at 58 mg, and think I've felt some pretty decent effects from the Strattera. Very focused on work at times. Feel a bit more confident in my skin, and speaking up at meetings to explain complex thoughts, where in the past I'd get nervous that I'd forget how to explain something and just wouldn't talk. Anxiety seems to be better, more in the present and less in the future/past in my own head. Went into work this weekend a bit just to get some extra stuff done for a project. I feel less needy in general, and confident. Very smooth, and still feel like myself, but perhaps a better form of myself. Still a tough time sleeping.

I'm still hesitant about everything as it's so subtle, it's difficult to peg to Strattera. All in all, the side effects come and go, come and go, etc... They haven't been a constant problem interfering with all parts of life titrating myself at this speed. Just some nights I don't sleep well, sometimes everything's very cloudy, and sometimes I have an anxiety spike, but generally it doesn't take as much to rest me, anxiety is down and brain fog is improved. Before it was 8-9 hours of deep sleep needed, now I can still make it on 7 hours of shallow sleep.

Just like side effects, the benefits come and go, come and go. I'm guessing once stable at the 80mg for a month or so, everything will smooth out, but we'll see.

Best,
Hendrix

hendrix
11-09-16, 02:36 PM
Today is the last day of the third week at 58mg.

My anxiety has diminished a great deal. No longer have I been stressed about work, and the 20 things I have to track. Now, I've been taking them as they come, and feel confident in my ability to recall what's required when a task comes up and perform the process or figure it out.

My ability to sit and focus on a complex project has been much better. I banged out a project plan for a costing system at work and then implemented a bunch of it in a much shorter time span than it would normally take to figure it out.

My social anxiety seems reduced. I've been able to communicate complex thoughts much better, and ability to recall memories to respond to people's discussions seems much better. Have been more in the present, than inside my own head.

My motivation has probably not changed much. I'm able to complete much more work when required. Also, I've just 'done' things around the house that require doing without feeling like it's a job (e.g. clean the dishes). But, at work I procrastinate.

The weird thing is, before at work I always felt 'busy'. And, all the stress from feeling busy and trying to ineffectively multi-task meant I didn't get any more done than I've been getting done currently where I'm working less, but un-frazzled and able to figure things out much quicker.

Also, it seems like I've had a better ability to control where my thoughts go. For example, yesterday I got an email from my boss that might be viewed as stressful. In the past, I would have stewed over it, and not been able to get it off my mind. Perhaps thinking myself into a negative mood. This time though, I read it, was bothered, then had the ability to put it out of my mind. Then, later in the day sat down and came up with a logical thought out response that basically said "I don't agree with you", but it was framed in a very logical, proper way to not hurt any feelings and effectively communicate my opinion (which she ended up appreciating and agreeing with).

Further, I use to be stressed sharing my opinions in groups of people. At meetings, I didn't want to disagree because I knew I wouldn't be able to effectively communicate my thoughts as good as the person I'd be disagreeing with, and possibly get tripped up on my words. Now, I've been communicating my opinions a lot more in all circumstances.

midnightstar
11-09-16, 04:06 PM
I'm glad you're anxiety's decreased a lot, I hope everything continues to get better for you on Strattera :)

Pugly
11-11-16, 01:45 PM
Your response seems very similar to my own. I find the effects feel so subtle as to be hard to be aware it's actually working once I got used to it.

It does absolutely nothing for my motivation though, just improves the in-the-moment interactions and brain fog. I actually think I'm less motivated on Strattera, since the constant anxiety would push me to action sometimes. Now I worry less and get things done more quickly, but don't care to do necessary things sometimes.

I went off it for a week or so, I couldn't afford the $30 I pay for the prescription for a little bit. And I started to notice the differences off the med. I had more 'bad' days, where I fumbled over words and just was in a daze the whole day. My emotional funks lasted longer too.

hendrix
11-15-16, 07:49 AM
I've been on 80mg since last Thursday, and it's now 6:30am Tuesday.

I didn't feel any ability to concentrate on Thursday or Friday last week. I was hungover Thursday as I went out for my GF's birthday and everybody had a few glasses of wine with dinner, and then a few beers at the bar next door after.

Friday still had no focus, and on the weekend I noticed that my ability to recall words, memories or tell a logical story wasn't good. Additionally, I had some anxiety.

Monday at work I couldn't get anything done properly, it's like all the benefits I was feeling at 58mg have vanished when making the jump to 80mg.

Weirdly the side effects have kind of vanished too. Before I was constantly having disturbed sleep, with lots of wake ups, but I still popped out of bed quickly in the morning and was able to focus at work no matter the level of sleep.

Now, it seems like I'm back to needing excessive sleep. Been going to bed early and having difficulty getting up and going.

Hoping this is temporary. I've read on some forums that people felt the good effects come and go through the whole startup phase until they finally stabilized with more focus, so hopefully that happens.

hendrix
11-18-16, 12:17 AM
Been doing better the last few days. Last time I checked in I wasn't feeling great. Was cloudy, and higher anxiety as a result. This has happened every time I increased dose, but this last time seemed like it lasted longer than some of the other increases. It lasted about 4 days.

The last morning I checked in actually turned into a good day, it was the prior day (busy Monday back at work) that left me overwhelmed.

Past few days I've got quite a lot done at work, and haven't been stressed. Enjoying it actually. I suppose I'm thinking there might be some more ups and downs, but hopefully the side effects eventually fade away and the good sides stabalize fully.

Some side effects I'm still feeling are interrupted sleeping, bit of a loss in libido and affection w/ my girlfriend and surprisingly I've been gaining some weight and hungry often which seems the complete opposite of what you'd expect.

On the good side: I'm focused when I want, can stay in mundane tasks for as long as necessary, am not overwhelmed with everything I have to do, can thing through processes logically easier, eliminated brain fog, anxiety is waaayy less, much improved social interactions and social anxiety is reduced.

Your response seems very similar to my own. I find the effects feel so subtle as to be hard to be aware it's actually working once I got used to it.

It does absolutely nothing for my motivation though, just improves the in-the-moment interactions and brain fog. I actually think I'm less motivated on Strattera, since the constant anxiety would push me to action sometimes. Now I worry less and get things done more quickly, but don't care to do necessary things sometimes.

I went off it for a week or so, I couldn't afford the $30 I pay for the prescription for a little bit. And I started to notice the differences off the med. I had more 'bad' days, where I fumbled over words and just was in a daze the whole day. My emotional funks lasted longer too.

Sounds super similar.

My motivation isn't really impacted. If I don't make a point of doing something, I'll just wont.

That said, it does make it much easier to stay focused once in tasks that I would normally find boring. So, the trick seems to be just making a habit of getting started. Once I have a list of things I want to complete at work for the day and actually begin doing the tasks, it's pretty good. Strattera seems to rake the reigns and do the rest, as it's fairly easy to just stay in that groove.

Before, I was similar in that the anxiety would prompt me to do things. But, as long as you're proactive in trying to get the day going in the right direction off the start, I find I can get more done and then have the added benefit of not having to deal with the anxiety.

My ability to not fumble over words is much better, just like yours. Brain fog is much reduced with clearer thinking, and no longer in a daze. My in the moment interactions are better, as I can communicate with others in the conversation and explain a story in a more linear fashion. In the past I jumped from topic to topic.

Lastly, I don't seem to get in a funk as often, and they don't last as long. Most of my funks have coincided with increases in dose of Strattera. Not worrying about getting worked up by stewing over future or past events. Not, as many times that I feel overwhelmed with (what feels like) 100 things I have on the go, and confused where I am on them.

vagrant
11-24-16, 06:26 PM
Seems like a similar outcome to me.

One thing I found is that if I am on a lower dose, say 50mg then I am clear minded but not motivated. I still have to use coffee to amp myself to do something important (even then I can be pretty unmotivated). Lower than 50mg the benefits wear off completely.

When I was on 80mg, I was more focused and clear in speech/thought/organisation. I'd just do stuff without analysing/considering/procrastinating too much. I didn't need coffee at all. I was still lazy and didn't do stuff but if I got started on something, I might see it through for a few hours.

The annoying thing I have is that I get side effects above 50-60mg. Most annoying is urinary / prostate symptoms and libido issues. So I get by on the lower dose with tons exercise and adding coffee. Kinda wish there was something better. Sometimes I wonder if I should try bupropion instead and see if it does anything.