View Full Version : Managing your time with two jobs

anonymouslyadd
11-07-16, 11:22 PM
I have a main job, which is full time and another one that's part-time. The latter is the opportunity of a lifetime. However, I find myself sleeping on the weekends, unable to work on the second job. I need help distributing my energy so there's some left over during the weekend.

I also need some encouragement to work a littler earlier in the day. My main job begins at 10:30 a.m. I can do some of the other work before the main job.

Both jobs seem to tax my energy in ways others haven't. I'm relatively new at the main job and still learning. I'm writing in the second job, and that takes a lot of energy out of me. The second job could lead to other work, where my heart truly is, and I want to do well.

Pilgrim
11-07-16, 11:25 PM
Can you switch off in the first job?

anonymouslyadd
11-07-16, 11:26 PM
Can you switch off in the first job?
What do you mean?

Pilgrim
11-08-16, 01:28 AM
What do you mean?

Sort of mentally swichoff, just go on autopilot.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-16, 01:35 AM
Sort of mentally swichoff, just go on autopilot.
Gosh, I don't know. Maybe for a little while. There's always something to do or learn.

Pilgrim
11-08-16, 01:41 AM
Look I sort of know what you mean, but to be putting in full mental ability all day is hard.

stef
11-08-16, 04:24 AM
Wow this would be difficult;

and really it was my plan, to have a day job and also freelance translate and well I almost thought it may work, earlier than expected, when I started working here; the person for who I'd orginally been hired to work, always left before 6 pm and gave no new tasks in the afternoon (he came in quite early and there was an outbox in his office with realistically doable tasks for the day). But he retired and my job morphed into my current insane position, leaving no energy for anything else. and with the job market as it is, and being over 40, i cant take the risk of quitting and finding the "auto pilot day job". and anyway there is enough linguistic stuff here to keep me happy.

Well I dont know where I'm going with all of this! Just to say, I completely understand your concerns.

Luvmybully
11-08-16, 05:57 PM
Do timers work for you? For example, set the timer for a morning start time, before 1st job, and when it goes off, you START that 2nd job. Then set timer for end time. When it's time to do 1st job.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-16, 07:07 PM
Do timers work for you? For example, set the timer for a morning start time, before 1st job, and when it goes off, you START that 2nd job. Then set timer for end time. When it's time to do 1st job.
Sometimes, they do. I actually got some work for the second job done last night.

BellaVita
11-08-16, 07:09 PM
Anon, I don't have any good advice because I've never worked two jobs.

But I have seen someone work that amount, and I know it's not easy. I don't know how you do it.

I'm proud of you.

acdc01
11-08-16, 08:12 PM
Wow in have no idea how you do it.

Are you getting someone else to take care of your other tasks outside working like washing clothes, cooking, etc. Cause I'd get rid of all other things I could. I could never work both days of the weekend. Any way you can just relax on sat and then work on sun after you've refreshed yourself?

I wonder if exercising would invigorate you