View Full Version : Insurance declined Vyanase. Question about Dextroamphetamine

neb123
11-10-16, 12:47 AM
I was referred to a psychologist by by my physician because of anxiety like issues. Was diagnosed with ADD at 40!. I have always known, but never got tested.

Was prescribed 40mg of Vyanase. Needed a prior authorization. Express scripts insurance denied the med. Doc. would not dispute the denial.

He prescribes 5mg of Dextroamphetamine. I call around to see who has it in stock. Each pharmacy tells me that they cannot give me this information. One tech. tells me in a "hush" voice to only come in and ask if the dex is in stock, because it is often stolen.

I never knew that having ADD was a crime.....

Anyhow, I find a pharmacy that has this med. and they ordered it for me.

Question-

My life is mentally exhausting. I wake up at 5:30PM and usually drink a cup of java and hit the treadmill to wake up- not an AM person. I am in the education field. I need to stay focused. At noon I am mentally drained. Work til 4. Then phase 2. Take kids to practices until 7PM. Work more and go to sleep at 11:30/12.

The trial of dex is for 5mg. Does not seem like enough. I am starting tomorrow.

I am 6ft2 and 200lbs.

What dose and type of dex. do I need to keep focused from 7AM-6PM and not affect my sleep?

Impromptu_DTour
11-10-16, 02:52 AM
I was referred to a psychologist by by my physician because of anxiety like issues. Was diagnosed with ADD at 40!. I have always known, but never got tested.

Was prescribed 40mg of Vyanase. Needed a prior authorization. Express scripts insurance denied the med. Doc. would not dispute the denial.

He prescribes 5mg of Dextroamphetamine. I call around to see who has it in stock. Each pharmacy tells me that they cannot give me this information. One tech. tells me in a "hush" voice to only come in and ask if the dex is in stock, because it is often stolen.

Anyhow, I find a pharmacy that has this med. and they ordered it for me.

Question-

My life is mentally exhausting. I wake up at 5:30PM and usually drink a cup of java and hit the treadmill to wake up- not an AM person. I am in the education field. I need to stay focused. At noon I am mentally drained. Work til 4. Then phase 2. Take kids to practices until 7PM. Work more and go to sleep at 11:30/12.

The trial of dex is for 5mg. Does not seem like enough. I am starting tomorrow.

I am 6ft2 and 200lbs.

What dose and type of dex. do I need to keep focused from 7AM-6PM and not affect my sleep?

Ya insurance really has found a way to screw things up. I used to have XR and IR medications covered and was on a combination regiment that worked wonders, but i moved one county over and my *new* insurance wont cover XR medications at all for anyone over 18, citing no medicinal value over IR medications, and that XR medications are only for people who arnt responsible enough to remember to take their meds.. anyway..

back to what i was saying. unless you have a premium rx plan that you're mining gold for, i havnt seen vyanase covered by an insurance company. nothing affordable anyway.. not around here at least.. but Shire has an assistance program you can apply for if you are low income, which would cover much of, if not all of the cost of your vyanase. search for "shire cares" and the first link is a direct to their site, the second that pops up for me (i use duck duck go) is straight to the application. its a bit of a process, but

i would say im surprised about how the pharmacies in your area are being so hush hush about script stocks.. schedule 2 medications are pretty hot commodity, and theres a pretty huge anti amphetamine abuse campaign going on right now. though.. i ask all the time if a pharmacy has a medicine in stock and they hand over that information quite readily, but i guess that varies area to area. id just play their game - worst thing is to get on a pharmacies bad side if they are the ones that have what you need.

while, jumping from 40 mgs of vyanase, down to 5mgs of dex is.. quite the difference.. its not uncommon to start a patient off at a low dose, but 5 mgs of dex per day seems .. cautious.. you might well be surprised though. it depends on how you take to it. worst thing that could happen is that you dont take to it, and the dr will have to up the dose (typically standard procedure).

its tough to say what kind of dose you would settle into.. that all can vary. typically adults are started at around 5 - 10 mgs per day.. but doctors usually like to titrate up when adjusting the dosage.

best of luck.

iDTour

neb123
11-10-16, 07:51 AM
So, the effects of 5mg. will last 12 hours? If not, is there a sustained release type of dex.?

Vyanase seemed like a great med. because it's a slow release med. I fought with the insurance co. Spoke to reps at least 6 times. When I asked the doc to dispute the denial, he wouldn't.

Dex did not require a prior authorization.

Little Missy
11-10-16, 08:04 AM
Dexedrine Spansules should last about 10 hours. The tablets about 4 or 5 hours.

emperorpenguin
11-18-16, 02:31 PM

This is pretty standard practice, I've found, when it comes to scheduled drugs--especially schedule II, which amphetamines fall under. I think the concern is more about people holding up pharmacies to get opioids, which has become a major problem in some parts of the country.

My regular CVS will tell you whether they have something in stock over the phone if you've filled a prescription for the same drug there before.

If you follow the recommendation and don't take your meds when you can do without them, you'll have a cushion and it won't matter when the pharmacy has to order something and you have to wait a few days. I don't bother calling/shopping around any more; if my CVS is out of it, they'll get it in 2-3 days.

sarahsweets
11-20-16, 06:53 AM
phone if you've filled a prescription for the same drug there before.

If you follow the recommendation and don't take your meds when you can do without them, you'll have a cushion and it won't matter when the pharmacy has to order something and you have to wait a few days.
You have days where you can do without meds??