View Full Version : Philosophy in my head

Jeftheginger
11-10-16, 01:35 AM
I think about this type of thing all the time so here are some basic philosophical ideas, that I like to ask your opinion on. I hope this is allowed if not I am so sorry for sharing my opinion on some of the greatest questions ever asked. Yet in thier glorious light wars have started. I beg do not be offended do not let emotion run rampant. Do not read this is you do not want to question your thoughts and essence.
According to blunt scientific definitions all we are and aren't is the cause and effect of chemical reactions. Is that all we are? we seem to find this idea unsettling. We are capable of emotion how can that just be a chemical reaction? So we convince our selves that a conchance or a soul is present in the large organized chemical reaction that is our body. Is the "soul" a part of the body that is connected to the body and vegans and ends who th it. Or is a it a separate identity that hitches a ride on a body. Then does the soul coexist in another world say a world of ideas. Or many another dimension. Or is this whole idea just to make the human race feel special. Is this to make us believe we are better than other animals.

SB_UK
11-11-16, 09:59 AM
I think about this type of thing all the time so here are some basic philosophical ideas, that I like to ask your opinion on. I hope this is allowed if not I am so sorry for sharing my opinion on some of the greatest questions ever asked. Yet in thier glorious light wars have started. I beg do not be offended do not let emotion run rampant. Do not read this is you do not want to question your thoughts and essence.
According to blunt scientific definitions all we are and aren't is the cause and effect of chemical reactions. Is that all we are? we seem to find this idea unsettling. We are capable of emotion how can that just be a chemical reaction? So we convince our selves that a conchance or a soul is present in the large organized chemical reaction that is our body. Is the "soul" a part of the body that is connected to the body and vegans and ends who th it. Or is a it a separate identity that hitches a ride on a body. Then does the soul coexist in another world say a world of ideas. Or many another dimension. Or is this whole idea just to make the human race feel special. Is this to make us believe we are better than other animals.

The car is simple and mechanical.
The driver needs to choose either some place awful (this competitive world) or some place nice (a collaborative world) to drive it.
Drive it in the wrong direction and in competitive world - mechanics will destroy your car, demand money to fix it until you hand your keys back to them and are without.
Drive it in the right direction and it won't be long before you're in a 'free' Hyperloop able to access any information you like at lightning fast speeds on the internet and able to arrive at any place in the world in minutes.

In both cases there's a mechanism - but the mechanism only works if the individual takes a certain direction.

It was described to me as a choice - but the idea can be found out there as 'two paths'.

ginniebean
11-11-16, 12:15 PM
Jeff, it's not an unusual philosophical question. I am not a fan of reductionism in the form of "we are just...". It doesn't make me uneasy at all.

From a mathematical perspective we can say that the human has a specific set of equations, or laws we operate under. What most of philosophy and religion have spoken of is that there is a possibility to free ourselves from these mathematical laws.

The consistency of the reported results from culture to culture the entire world over is convincing that there is this possibility. I suggest that for many this thread in both philosophy and religion disquiets many.

Thanks for your thoughts.