View Full Version : How long does your Dr want adhd med to last?

Jill22089
11-10-16, 03:26 PM
Right now my adhd med is lasting til 3 pm. will my dr say i need it to last longer or say 3 is good im just wondering what your doctors say their target duration time is for you. and do u guys think 3 is good or should last alittle later?

namazu
11-10-16, 03:58 PM
Totally depends on the doctor and the situation.

Mine wants -- as do I -- for the medication to be working for as long as possible, so that I can be as functional as possible.

For this reason, I take medication in the morning and again later in the day.

If you have responsibilities after 3PM, drive after 3PM, need to run errands after 3PM, need to keep your home at least minimally organized after 3PM, interact with people after 3PM, etc., and you can't do those things as well without medication, then it might be ideal to find a medication or dosing schedule that will also cover the later afternoon/evening, if you can do it without being kept up at night.

dvdnvwls
11-10-16, 04:27 PM
It depends on which medication it is. The manufacturers of most of the meds publish expected durations that are extremely optimistic - they say it will last a lot longer than it turns out to last in real life. Some doctors are gullible in that way: they read the manufacturer literature and assume it must be perfectly true for everyone, when obviously it isn't.

Jill22089
11-10-16, 04:36 PM
interact with people namazu? how does adhd meds help u interact with people??

BellaVita
11-10-16, 05:23 PM
interact with people namazu? how does adhd meds help u interact with people??

Keep your train of thought, stay focused on what the other is saying, maintain good emotional regulation in response to others.