View Full Version : Dexedrine causing diuresis?

Tosslehoff
11-12-16, 02:19 AM
Has anyone had any experiences with going into diuresis because of dextroamphetamine? For reference, it's the same experience as 'breaking the seal' when drinking alcohol. You suddenly have to urinate very badly, then every 10 minutes for the next ~hour you're emptying a bladder full of clear urine.

I'm not sure if it's possible, as my research into diuretic effects of amphetamine has borne no fruit.
What I notice is that, when I start taking it (at a therapeutic dose) by day.. 5 or 6, I'm regularly experiencing diuresis.
For some reason it's occuring around 8-9pm. I've tried modifying my diet, as well as cutting out caffeinated beverages. My blood sugar is also fine, both normally and when this is occuring.

Today I consumed only one bowl of Kraft Dinner and 1500ml of water in an attempt to minimize triggers, and yet it happened again.

I've been tested for every related disorder. Everything from Diabetes Insipidus to water retention. My kidneys are in flawless health. Blood values are not abnormal when taking the meds.

Any ideas what could be triggering this?

cobain67
11-12-16, 02:31 AM
Any ideas what could be triggering this?

Dexedrine.

Amphetamines are definitely diuretics. :)

Fuzzy12
11-12-16, 02:45 AM
I had that when I started. Also 1500 ml is not a small amount (not too much though especially not when you are taking stimulants).

Tosslehoff
11-12-16, 06:56 PM
I had that when I started. Also 1500 ml is not a small amount (not too much though especially not when you are taking stimulants).

Yeah, that's sort of why I mentioned it. It's not a lot, certainly not enough for my water consumption to be the issue.

Dexedrine.

Amphetamines are definitely diuretics. :)

Yeah, I'm aware that stimulants in general are diuretics, but I couldn't find enough research into dextroamphetamine specifically to be completely convinced.
Seems to occur a solid 5 - 6 hours after my last dose, which had me wondering if the drug was reaching such a high concentration in my nephrons that my kidneys were dumping it.

aeon
11-12-16, 07:12 PM
I don't have the sense that Dexedrine is a diuretic.

That said, the experience of "OMG, I need to urinate!" and then scurrying to the loo in a panic is well known to me.

I think this has to do with Dexedrine's propensity to cause spasm of the urinary sphincter.

This reduces bladder awareness and can result in diminished/disrupted flow while urinating.

As to the frequent voiding of urine without color, that only happens if I generously overhydrate and overcaffeinate myself.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
11-12-16, 07:15 PM
I tinkle WAY more on Adderall than Dexedrine. :scratch:

DJ Bill
11-12-16, 07:18 PM
Have you had a recent prostate exam? My doc told me what I was describing sounded like a prostate enlargement. He did a finger exam and confirmed it. He also mentioned urge incontinence (latchkey syndrome) where you tend to feel this way when you get home or a rest area on the highway.

Anyhow I know the feeling all too well. I'm on generic Flomax and it seems to help a little.

Overhydration might cause it, although I have been told several times to drink until I had clear urine and I wont be dehydrated. Supposedly yellow shows that you're dehydrated or have been taking vitamin c or similar.

Good luck with it...

aeon
11-12-16, 07:20 PM
The carbohydrate/glycemic load from a bowl of Kraft dinner with resulting blood sugar spike combined with 1.5L of water would cause most human beings to urinate with some frequency and force, regardless of any degree of diabetes, especially if that was the only thing consumed on a given day, and previous days tending toward nomative nourishment.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
11-12-16, 07:33 PM
I tinkle WAY more on Adderall than Dexedrine. :scratch:

Adderall has far greater propensity to stimulate and cause spasm of the urinary sphincter than Dexedrine on account of its levoamphetamine constituent, and this becomes aggravated in females as contrasted with males because of the much shorter urinary tract and reduced degree of muscle tonicity.

It's like adding methanol and a blower to a small block with dodgy seals and gaskets. It's going to leak, if not blow and fully wet itself under load. :p

Cheers,
Ian

Tosslehoff
11-12-16, 07:40 PM
Oh yeah, I definitely notice the spasms. But that's not what I'm referring to, and I can ignore that. This is a full bladder of clear urine. I can 'delay' this urge for about 5 minutes before it's forcing its way out.

Been checked for prostate issues recently, actually. Nothing there, either. I'm in perfect health aside from a recent bout with appendicitis (which was treated with antibiotics rather than surgery)
I'm quite obsessive about blood values after the appendix - I have access to mine online, and do monthly check ups since the long term prognosis of this type of treatment is basically an unknown.

I don't worry too much about the urinating, honestly. It causes me some discomfort at the time, but there's no lasting anxiety. I really just want to know the exact mechanism by which this is happening.

aeon
11-12-16, 07:48 PM
Low pH diet can certainly potentiate kidney function.

something to consider,
Ian

Little Missy
11-12-16, 07:59 PM
Adderall has far greater propensity to stimulate and cause spasm of the urinary sphincter than Dexedrine on account of its levoamphetamine constituent, and this becomes aggravated in females as contrasted with males because of the much shorter urinary tract and reduced degree of muscle tonicity.

It's like adding methanol and a blower to a small block with dodgy seals and gaskets. It's going to leak, if not blow and fully wet itself under load. :p

Cheers,
Ian

No leakage here!

yet...:eek:

Tosslehoff
11-12-16, 09:59 PM
Low pH diet can certainly potentiate kidney function.

something to consider,
Ian

Yeah, that's very true. I've actually been attempting to control pH levels recently, what with excretion rate depending upon it.
I only seem to get 3 hours out of an effective dose.
Hmm.. I've never actually had my blood pH tested in the aforementioned tests.
Something for the next time, for sure.

In regards to the spasms being caused by the levo enantiomer, levoamphetamine is a CNS stimulant, right? So could one achieve similar physical effects by combining dextro with another CNS stimulant such as caffeine? I've noticed the 'bladder spasms' are considerably worse when ANY kind of CNS stimulant is introduced, be it caffeine or nicotine.

Tosslehoff
11-13-16, 01:00 AM
Ran out of time to add this as an edit

Skipped dexedrine today, still happened 9pm like god damn clockwork.
What the hell.

I've generally always considered stuff like like this (tons of tests run, nothing found, symptoms persist) to be an overblown case of the nocebo effect when others experience it.
Maybe I was too quick to judge.

aeon
11-13-16, 04:50 AM
No, levoamphetamine is PNS, not CNS, same with caffeine.

Cheers,
Ian

Tosslehoff
11-13-16, 05:31 AM
No, levoamphetamine is PNS, not CNS, same with caffeine.

Cheers,
Ian

Lol, sorry. I mixed up CNS and PNS.
On Adderall, I had bruxism and colorectal spasms.
On Dexedrine, I don't.
Caffeine alone does nothing to me, but taken with Dexedrine heralds the return of both.

Tosslehoff
11-13-16, 05:37 PM
Sorry for yet another (at least its not a thread every time! lol) post, but I've been wondering for a while if this could be due to vasopressin? I'm not aware of a mechanism whereby dextroamphetamine would affect Vasopressin levels, but since it is an appetite suppressant that affects thirst, something has to be going on there.

I've had periodic issues with vasopressin levels since I was a child - I'd wager due to some kind of genetic hypothalamus dysfunction. I had an issue where I'd experience weeks of periodically being unable to make it to the bathroom door without my bladder reaching capacity. I'd imagine is the same issue I'm experiencing now, but with a much increased bladder capacity.

I was diagnosed with autism as a child, and there's a clear link between hypothalamic disease and developmental disorders (though not autism), so it could all be connected.

Flory
11-15-16, 08:11 AM
Oh yeAh I certainly use the can a lot more on Dex

Little Missy
11-15-16, 10:10 AM
Oh yeAh I certainly use the can a lot more on Dex

wahhhhhahahahaha, I havn't heard 'the can' in YEARS!