View Full Version : Does Nicotine cause premature aging or does smoking?

BellaVita
11-12-16, 08:38 PM
I've never smoked a day in my life, and I never will (I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke, even if the smoker is pretty far away.) I have however, used nicotine patches off and on.

I am one who doesn't want to age fast, I started using anti-wrinkle cream when I was young (not that it works lol, also it was a bit of a joke - don't use it now) and I stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen if I do go out in the sun.

I drink a good amount of water.

I do what I can to preserve my skin, and protect it from harsh things.

But now I'm wondering if nicotine itself could also cause premature aging, and that it wasn't the smoke like I assumed.

I've read that vasoconstriction can have a bad effect on the skin - so wouldn't that mean all stimulants cause premature aging?

I would like the real science behind this. I would consider never using nicotine patches again if it does cause premature aging.

aeon
11-12-16, 09:04 PM
I have read all I could about nicotine and never once found a thing that spoke to this.

Smoking, yes. Patches, gum, ingestion, inhalation, of nicotine, likely not.

Inhalation of tobacco smoke reduces capillary blood flow, which damages skin, but it is not the nicotine which causes this effect.

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
11-12-16, 09:14 PM
I have read all I could about nicotine and never once found a thing that spoke to this.

Inhalation of tobacco smoke reduces capillary blood flow, which damages skin, but it is not the nicotine which causes this effect.

Cheers,
Ian

Thank you for your research, I really appreciate that.

I know it might sound silly, and I know some of your thoughts on nicotine - but for me, the thought of potentially never using the thing that helps me function better than even the ADHD medications I've tried - makes me close to crying.

I guess maybe I just shouldn't care so much about aging, but for some reason I really do.

aeon
11-13-16, 02:57 AM
I've become less concerned about the use of nicotine as I have done more reading.

And for sure, I think there is as-yet untapped potential in the use of nicotinic drug therapies for ADHD. Sadly, research may never get off the ground because of a double whammy...lack of exclusivity negating a profitable market as well as stigma because of association with cigarette smoking and its consequences.

And to be fair, you seem concerned about a particular kind of aging...that which is premature.

That makes sense to me...and seems a most-natural thing to be concerned about.

Cheers,
Ian

Impromptu_DTour
11-13-16, 03:20 AM

Cheers,
Ian

i wasnt able to come up with much either.. but i think i gave up quicker than you did. however this was the same conclusion that i came to.. the physical taxation on the system and less oxygen to transport across the body leading to breaking down of cells.

This is me polishing my bull ****-o-tron over here to make myself sound smart :lol:

I've become less concerned about the use of nicotine as I have done more reading.

And for sure, I think there is as-yet untapped potential in the use of nicotinic drug therapies for ADHD. Sadly, research may never get off the ground because of a double whammy...lack of exclusivity negating a profitable market as well as stigma because of association with cigarette smoking and its consequences.

And to be fair, you seem concerned about a particular kind of aging...that which is premature.

That makes sense to me...and seems a most-natural thing to be concerned about.

^this

nicotine by itself is (though still addictive of course) is really interesting and really powerful neuro-stimulant. Honestly i didnt really think about it too much until this post.. i used to smoke up to a pack a day for more than a decade up until recently.. and truthfully did a lot better in school..

not that im going to pick up a pack on the way home from the labs here.. but .. hmm. LOL maybe i'll get a pack of gum.

iDTour

Pilgrim
11-13-16, 05:04 AM
E cigarettes?

aeon
11-13-16, 05:14 AM
E cigarettes?

Full-on box mods with a RDA and NET juice in 30/70 PG/VG on dual SS claptons at 100+ watts for chucking righteous, billowing clouds of sweet vapor. :yes:

Cheers,
Ian

namazu
11-13-16, 06:08 AM
a) Stress (including that caused by out-of-control ADHD) can also lead to premature aging, so factor that into your risk-benefit analysis.

b) Being healthy and functional and in good spirits >> young-looking skin -- to me, anyway. (In this case, though, I don't think you have to choose.)

C15H25N3O
11-13-16, 07:10 AM
True, nicotine is a very powerful stimulant but its effect does not last long – maybe 15 minutes.

When I vaporize the 18mg (highest available dosage) e-fluids in my e-cigarrette for a while I
get an enormous boost of attention, alertness and it wakes me up a lot almost on dex (LIS-a).

The masses of nicotine I get from the e-cigarrette is not possible to get from smoking cigarrettes
because tabacco does not contain enough of it or I would have to smoke 10 cigarrettes at once.

There is also a similar effect from caffein. When I drink a simple mokka there is no effect it only
tastes nice. When I drink 5 mokka at once it becomes a real stimulant lasting for 1-2 hours.

Nicotine does not make cancer but it supports cancer and caffein contains too much oxal-acid
which can make the kidneys fail or kidney stones. "Therapeutical dosed" Dex cannot be healthy
and I think micro-dosed Dex like 1-2mg/day not taken daily could be the healthiest solution or
better if it is taken only in emergency situations.

But let me be honest: Trying out this stuff is nothing but the so called "substance abuse co-morbidity"
in ADHD-spectre. So let me ask: Why do we still try out stuff if the pills should work and help?

I dont trust positive-side-effects-avoiding science anymore because most of the pharma-pills are built
to replace the classic straightjacket or bed-fixing while there could be help if there was more courage
and will to help instead of selling lifetime-subscriptions to pills.

C15H25N3O
11-13-16, 07:38 AM
e-cigarrettes are not healthy but maybe better than smoking cigarrettes.

Vaping the fluids containing lots of glycerin can make a lipoid pneumonia

and nicotine is highly addictive.

Little Missy
11-13-16, 08:23 AM
Lip wrinkles baby, lip wrinkles. The sign of a real Warhorse. :D

Or genetics.

I'm about going to Niccyfitsville.

BellaVita
11-13-16, 02:46 PM
Thanks, you guys are awesome! :)

I guess I'll still be thinking about it. I do know that without nicotine I am way more stressed, more prone to meltdowns, have worse emotional regulation, much less motivation, less focus, and can't stay on tasks as long.

My mood also improved when I'm taking it and I actually feel happier, and my anxiety is more diminished.

I guess I got really lucky with how well it works for me. I do wish ADHD medications worked as well for me.

For me, it has much less side-effects than the ADHD medications I tried at varying dosages.

Anyway...I'm so weird about aging, I worry about aging prematurely. :o Probably pretty silly. But I do.

By the way, I use the nicotine patches. So it lasts quite a while. It is way smoother than any ADHD medication I've tried and no "crash." I just feel like myself, but without so many intense ADHD symptoms. I've quit on and off just fine. The only thing I notice when I stop using it for a period of time is my symptoms come back full-force.

Also, I do think stimulants (the kind a doctor prescribes) are the best, and first-line treatment for ADHD, just given my circumstances I've been in for a couple years and other things, nicotine was all I could have.

Caco3girl
11-16-16, 04:23 PM
I am a smoker and I can tell you that it is the smoke that causes the aging and dryness associated with premature aging amongst smokers. It is not the nicotine, and vape smoke doesn't have the same ingredients.

BellaVita
11-16-16, 04:35 PM
I am a smoker and I can tell you that it is the smoke that causes the aging and dryness associated with premature aging amongst smokers. It is not the nicotine, and vape smoke doesn't have the same ingredients.

Thank you, I appreciate you sharing this.

C15H25N3O
11-17-16, 06:19 AM
If nicotine has such a effect on you you really should try cacao beans says my adhd.
Theobromin is a weak stimulant simular like caffein and still weaker than tein from tea.
Lots of magnesium and tryptophan as basic substance for serotonin and melatonin.
Also children like them.

aeon
11-17-16, 12:59 PM
I did a price comparison of various nicotine delivery systems.

If you buy in even a small degree of bulk so as to make your own e-juice, vaping is by far the least expensive, by orders of magnitude actually.

That said, handling extracted nicotine is not a casual affair.

Cheers,
Ian

FogNoggin
11-17-16, 07:19 PM
It's the tar and everything else,

(my ADD mind somehow compared this to when people talk of 'nicotine stains' or 'nicotine stains' on walls of heavy smokers, it's the TAR! Nicotine, at least in liquid form is colourless. anyway........)

Nicotine can kill you, but not really make you age faster, IMO

A varied diet.
Lots of garlic and onions, bell peppers, hot sauce, spices, etc.
(eat 40 suicide wings and tell me when you are done you don't feel cleansed and pumped with endorphins!)
Curry or turmeric with black pepper is supposed to be a great cancer preventer.

Some peoples diets are very restrictive, some eat the same low ingredient count food every day and aren't getting what they need to maintain health.

Don't let depression grab you!
I find that tough, but realizing what causes deep depression, after being there a few times myself, is to be aware of thinking that can bring you down, and try to focus on what makes you happy, Negative thoughts can bring you down fast if you dwell on them, you can feel your health suffer when you are depressed.

Genetics
Choose your parents wisely!

Skin cream?
I don't use it, but I am 47 years old, and people think I am 35 at most

This is just all my opinion.

C15H25N3O
11-18-16, 07:33 PM
I did a price comparison of various nicotine delivery systems.
If you buy in even a small degree of bulk so as to make your own e-juice, vaping is by far the least expensive, by orders of magnitude actually.

Whats your liquids dosage in mg/ml?