View Full Version : Being open vs. closed off

NateDEEzy
11-13-16, 05:53 PM
Does anyone feel like they are genuinely open, emotionally? I feel like I am extremely closed off and always have a guard up. I think it might be rooted in a not vet good relationship with my parents. The other night I was a little high and inside I wanted to open up to my mom and tell her all my worries and just apologize for not always treating her the best, even though I know she tries her best. It's like I don't accept who she is, which is not the smartest person, sorry of weak and passive, my dad's the same way, I'm the same way and I think I blame them. Even though I know they didn't choose to be that way, just as someone with extreme confidence doesn't really choose that, but yet I hold it against them, despite knowing I shouldn't and honestly I don't want to.
But even though I know they'd appreciate me basically breaking down and having a heart felt talk, I'm too afraid to fave this situation, and so I avoid it and remain closed off and not open.
I've done therapy, but not much, so I don't have much experience. Does anyone know if this type therapy exists? Just like being totally open with those you're most afraid to be?

Has anyone faced this fear and opened up and if so did it help you? I have a feeling it would take an incredible mental burden off me and would allow me to function better mentally.

Id love to start a group therapy class that focuses on total openness.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on all of this?

Little Missy
11-13-16, 05:59 PM
Oh boy, the thing is if it is a class you do have to show up. :eek:

As for the rest, I say keep your cards close.

But when you do finally blurt it out unscripted will be the best time of all.

NateDEEzy
11-13-16, 06:00 PM
I just think about all the times someone is brave enough to admit something and how so many people who never tell anyone they have that problem feel so compelled to say, omg me too. It's like you're helping people free themselves from a self judgment about something that weighs them down. For example, someone opening up about being sexually abused , or being bullied, or being mentally slow (like we are), or someone admitting basically anything they are ashamed of and keep secret. Bc I feel like fear and mental bogging down increase the more and more you try to suppress these things, which slowly break a person down. There's something to making peace with that thing we judge ourselves about and being ok talking with people about it.

NateDEEzy
11-13-16, 06:02 PM
I feel like if there is a purpose to life, these things that scare us the most seem likely to be linked to that purpose

Little Missy
11-13-16, 06:04 PM
Yes! Yes! As long as the timing is correct. It is a beautiful thing to do.

Do it! Go for it! If it will rest your soul, feed it. :)

Little Missy
11-13-16, 06:04 PM
I feel like if there is a purpose to life, these things that scare us the most seem likely to be linked to that purpose

Could very well be. :)

aeon
11-13-16, 08:03 PM
open mind
open heart
open legs

life's a peach ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Pincheyloveclaw
12-22-16, 01:29 AM
NateDEEzy Im very much the same way. Closed off and weak and all afraid inside. I hate that about me. Although, I find that I can say pretty much anything to a stranger; with friends and family, Id rather have a root canal. I also have this really viseral aversion to facebook. I have had some bad experiences with sharing though- I think that has contributed.
I think you have causation flipped when it comes to the purpose of life though. Overcoming fears is one of the most fulfilling things you can pursue. It is this pursuit of fulfillment that gives life purpose. Unless your a Bio major, then it's procreation.