View Full Version : Does anyone remember minithins? In the 1990s.

Joker_Girl
11-13-16, 08:10 PM
When I was in college, we used to get these things, and they were a combination of caffeine and ephedrine. I'm sure they were awfully hard on a person, if I remember correctly they were harsh. And because they were $5 for a bottle of a hundred, we ate them like tic tacs.

My (and my friends') use of these things was sometimes excessive, and they were used not only for focus, but as an appetite suppressant and a way to work double shifts, etc.

But there is no doubt that they helped focus considerably, and I used them as a study aid. I think alot of the jittery sensation and hair tingling they caused was because we often took them and didn't eat at all. I didn't know I had adhd, that adults even could have it, at that time. I just thought I was a lazy, disorganized, spazzy flake. But I am sure this was a self medication.

They don't even make them anymore....someone figured out you could make drugs with them. Lol shocking. I think they can make you have a stroke or heart attack, also not surprisingly.

Does anybody else recall these silly things, and did you ever take them?

aeon
11-13-16, 08:25 PM
Yes, tried them once.

Never. Again.

Hellishly unpleasant to me.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
11-13-16, 08:31 PM
When I was in college, we used to get these things, and they were a combination of caffeine and ephedrine. I'm sure they were awfully hard on a person, if I remember correctly they were harsh. And because they were $5 for a bottle of a hundred, we ate them like tic tacs.

My (and my friends') use of these things was sometimes excessive, and they were used not only for focus, but as an appetite suppressant and a way to work double shifts, etc.

But there is no doubt that they helped focus considerably, and I used them as a study aid. I think alot of the jittery sensation and hair tingling they caused was because we often took them and didn't eat at all. I didn't know I had adhd, that adults even could have it, at that time. I just thought I was a lazy, disorganized, spazzy flake. But I am sure this was a self medication.

They don't even make them anymore....someone figured out you could make drugs with them. Lol shocking. I think they can make you have a stroke or heart attack, also not surprisingly.

Does anybody else recall these silly things, and did you ever take them?
I tried them in college a couple times and they were too harsh for me. I felt wired but only in an anxious and unproductive way. I didn't like them at all and they never helped me focus or study better.

Caffeine has never effected me but it felt like what other people describe when they have consumed way too much of it.

Little Missy
11-13-16, 09:44 PM
I vaguely remember them, I can even "see" them at the checkout but I've never tried them. Oh! I was being treated by then.

Simargl
11-13-16, 09:51 PM
I remember them. I'm not a fan.

Those were particularly terrible but I dislike most diet pills. I went through a phase where I thought I'd try them out. I've never been so moody, irritable and irrational. Bleah.

Joker_Girl
11-14-16, 12:27 AM
Yep, they were WAY, WAY, WAY more of a physical stimulant than a mental one, but it was all I had to work with, without getting into sketchy situations.

But there was absolutely nothing pleasurable about them, even to my non adhd friends. They are a sketchy, dirty feeling, jittery thing, that upsets your stomach and makes your heart race.

I get no physical stimulation from prescriptions, most of the time. I'm sure part of that is actually being adhd, and part of it is tolerance. Occasionally I will feel it a little bit, but most of the time, no.

I'm sure a large dose would have that effect, but not just as I take it.

Of course that is a relative thing, I suppose. A funny thing is, pseudo ephedrine knocks me out.

Unmanagable
11-14-16, 09:08 AM
I don't remember those, specifically, but I recall speckled eggs, black beauties, xmas trees, and a few other varieties of "speed" pills that were quite popular.

I don't remember specific or vivid effects from any of them, but I was also drinking, smoking weed, and trying other various "better living through chemicals" experiments on my young and undeveloped brain and body at the time.

stef
11-14-16, 10:14 AM
Whoa! amongst things I'm relieved I missed out on, when I moved here.
I'm sure I'd have tried something like that and it might have made me really ill.
(as much as I love, and function on, coffee).

Does anyone remember what was in "No Doz"? was it just caffeine?

Little Missy
11-14-16, 11:25 AM
Whoa! amongst things I'm relieved I missed out on, when I moved here.
I'm sure I'd have tried something like that and it might have made me really ill.
(as much as I love, and function on, coffee).

Does anyone remember what was in "No Doz"? was it just caffeine?

Yes, it seems so easy to take a caffeine pill but it just doesn't "get it" like a cup of coffee does.

I don't remember ever taking a NoDoz either but I can see the box as plain as can be so I don't know why I used the pill vs a cup explanation.

I could sing the jingle if you like! I remember jingles back from the sixties!

Fortune
11-14-16, 04:23 PM
I never took minithins but I self-medicated with diet fuel and ripped fuel (both ephedra-based herbal supplements by Twinlab) for several years. After I stopped buying those I'd buy packets of three capsules at a time from a convenience store - also ephedra.

Now of course, ephedra is illegal, so can't do that anymore.

BellaVita
11-14-16, 04:37 PM
Every time I see this thread title it makes me think you're talking about a type of Wheat Thins crackers.

Little Missy
11-14-16, 04:48 PM
Every time I see this thread title it makes me think you're talking about a type of Wheat Thins crackers.

:lol: Quite plausible, actually.

stef
11-14-16, 04:48 PM

I thought it was a kind of girl scout cookie at first :giggle:

Little Missy
11-14-16, 04:49 PM
I thought it was a kind of girl scout cookie at first :giggle:

said Boots La Confidante

stef
11-14-16, 04:55 PM
said Boots La Confidante

ah, wait - thin mints!

Little Missy
11-14-16, 04:59 PM
ah, wait - thin mints!

perhaps you mean, Junior Mints??

Joker_Girl
11-14-16, 06:16 PM
Omg I love thin mints cookies. Love. Them.
I put them in the freezer, and then when I eat one, it's like a burst of minty cold joy.
I like the coconut ones too, what are they, samoas or something?
And the peanut butter ones where it's like a peanut butter oreo. Mmmm.

NOT the other peanut butter ones. With the chocolate on them. Don't try to be a peanut butter cup and then not.

Those remind me of one time I ate a Christmas cookie all dipped in chocolate and it was 2 RITZ CRACKERS with peanut butter in between them, dipped in chocolate. It was wrong. That's for cheese and sausage. WRONG!

Little Missy
11-14-16, 07:24 PM
Like wrong but good?

Joker_Girl
11-15-16, 12:20 AM
It was a bad wrong.

If I had been expecting it, that would have been one thing. Actually, had I known what it was, I wouldn't have eaten it in the first place.

In fact, I'm not a huge peanut butter fan most of the time, except peanut butter cups. I especially hate peanut butter and jelly together. My husband and kids love it, but not me.

My roommate in college used to make sandwiches out of peanut butter, bananas, and mayonnaise, and grill them like grilled cheese. It was so nasty.

aeon
11-15-16, 11:54 AM
My roommate in college used to make sandwiches out of peanut butter, bananas, and mayonnaise, and grill them like grilled cheese. It was so nasty.

http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Vomito.gif
Ian