View Full Version : Have been on 5mg of dex. for trial period. What dosage is right for me?

neb123
11-13-16, 11:53 PM
I have been on dexedrine 5mg. daily for the first time. I have inattentive ADD- sensory overload, overactive thinking, random though patterns, social anxiety, procrastination, low energy in AM, etc. So far the 5mg seems to allow me to focus on a task to a greater degree than prior to the dex. I do not feel any more motivated than before, except I seem to want to organize things more. Chores like raking leaves are not bothersome while on the dex.

My trial period is up on the 5mg and I am wondering what dosage would be right for me. I am in the IT field and it requires deep focus and multitasking. I have been at it for 20 years and fatigue and lack of focus seem to be an issue lately.

I have been reading that 20mg- 10 x twice daily is a good dosage for ADD. What type? IR, ER, Spansule?

Any advice would be appreciated.

AddAnxiousMe
11-14-16, 02:13 AM
I have been on dexedrine 5mg. daily for the first time. I have inattentive ADD- sensory overload, overactive thinking, random though patterns, social anxiety, procrastination, low energy in AM, etc. So far the 5mg seems to allow me to focus on a task to a greater degree than prior to the dex. I do not feel any more motivated than before, except I seem to want to organize things more. Chores like raking leaves are not bothersome while on the dex.

My trial period is up on the 5mg and I am wondering what dosage would be right for me. I am in the IT field and it requires deep focus and multitasking. I have been at it for 20 years and fatigue and lack of focus seem to be an issue lately.

I have been reading that 20mg- 10 x twice daily is a good dosage for ADD. What type? IR, ER, Spansule?

5 mgs of Dexedrine is a very low dose. I am prescribed 30mgs of IR taken as two 10mg tabs in the morning and one 10mg tab early afternoon. Dexedrine works well (better than Adderall, IMO), but when I started on the 20mg dose at one time, I had to take between 20 and 30mgs of Inderal to ward off the jumpies. It is a good mix. The Inderal takes the shakes, rapid HB, etc., away, yet I still get the beneficial effects of the Dexedrine. I would say to try 10mgs twice a day, that should help you much more. I am someone with a history of panic disorder and agoraphobia, and the 10mgs twice a day didn't bother me at all. But yeah, the usual effective dose is from 20 to 40mgs a day (with some going up to 60mgs). I think the IR doses are better because you can tailor your dose much easier than with XR formulas.
Take care:).

neb123
11-14-16, 07:48 AM
Thanks you for the reply.

Your type of ADD sounds similar to mine- panic dis. and agoraphobia. Wow. I am already on inderal, so I have that base covered.

Do you find that the dex. helps not only the ADD, but also the other conditions?

At the moment, the low dose dex does not make me feel any more motivated or enthusiastic. Is it supposed to? I am a pretty introverted person and it would not hurt if it would help me want to become more social or not as nervous/awkward. Like going to a restaurant and eating alone or with colleagues is not something I like to do.

Does it help you not procrastinate?

I am an abstract random thinker(very helpful when solving problems at work) and need to focus if the task requires deep thinking. To what degree does the dex. allow for this? Oddly, I have two masters degrees and did well in college, but sadly I have to say that I never have read a book cover to cover.

Last question- How long does each dose of 10mg IR last? It seems like I have been having some difficulty sleeping even with the 5mg dose.

Tosslehoff
11-14-16, 05:05 PM

Your type of ADD sounds similar to mine- panic dis. and agoraphobia. Wow. I am already on inderal, so I have that base covered.

Do you find the dex helping with your panic disorder, yourself? I'm curious as I too have panic disorder (at least, that's one of the dozens of diagnoses' I've received that I agree with) and just started taking Dexedrine for other symptoms. My pdoc was a bit worried about it exacerbating the associated anxiety, but it hasn't.. with one caveat.
It seems like Dex + Caffeine = major panic episode. But Dex alone = most of the scenarios that caused panic don't even register to me.

Can't tell if that's because it helps, or if it's because I'm so distracted by whatever else I'm thinking about.

I might have to asking my pdoc about a beta blocker.

neb123
11-14-16, 10:54 PM
The inderal works great. Lowers hear rate and keeps physical symptoms of stress at bay. I dulls my mood a bit, but I can speak in front of any size crown without my heart pounding, sweating, voice quivering, etc. Good stuff. I take 10mg x 3 times a day. AM Noon Night.

I'll tell you if the dex reduces panic symptoms when I purposely test it in a
new environment that over stimulates my senses, drive on a narrow bridge, sit in the middle of a packed crowded room, etc. Trial dose at 5mg is too low to tell.

sarahsweets
11-15-16, 04:44 AM
Someone on here told me "pills dont teach skills" and its true. The motivation part cant be solved with medication.Once you do start something they help you move through it.

5 mg is a low dose, in fact I think the lowest but it doesnt mean that its not the right dose for you. I have three kids and at one point 2 of them were on dex. The older child was on 5mg and the younger one 15mg. You would think the older one with more responsibility would naturally need the higher dose but everyone is different.

I take spansules and I always have. To be fair I also have absorption issues that make anything IR useless but even before those issues I was always on spansules. I get about 5-6 hours out of each dose. On the IR I was lucky to get 2-3 hours.

neb123
11-17-16, 07:42 AM
What is your daily dosage of spansules?

AddAnxiousMe
11-19-16, 05:17 PM

Do you find that the dex. helps not only the ADD, but also the other conditions?

At the moment, the low dose dex does not make me feel any more motivated or enthusiastic. Is it supposed to? I am a pretty introverted person and it would not hurt if it would help me want to become more social or not as nervous/awkward. Like going to a restaurant and eating alone or with colleagues is not something I like to do.

Does it help you not procrastinate?

I am an abstract random thinker(very helpful when solving problems at work) and need to focus if the task requires deep thinking. To what degree does the dex. allow for this? Oddly, I have two masters degrees and did well in college, but sadly I have to say that I never have read a book cover to cover.

Last question- How long does each dose of 10mg IR last? It seems like I have been having some difficulty sleeping even with the 5mg dose.

I'm sorry for the late reply. I feel that the Dexedrine has helped me a lot, even with the anxiety because it helps me not ruminate on bad things. It certainly hasn't made the anxiety worse or caused panic attacks (but I am on Effexor, Inderal and Valium to cover that anyway). It does makes me very talkative and sociable. In fact, I told my doctor about it because I thought it might be making me manic (even though I was never diagnosed as bipolar), but he said no, it's normal because it's helping with the depression. It has gotten somewhat better. I still like to talk when I have the chance, but I don't hunt people down now and corner them to talk their ear off:lol:.
As far as how long a dose lasts, the antidepressant effect seems to last about 2 or 3 hours, but the focus/attention benefit lasts longer, maybe 5 hours. That's why it's not uncommon to take it 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how much focus you need. The first couple of months did give me insomnia, but now I can take a dose as late as 5pm and still go to sleep at 11 or 12. But that's an individual thing that you'll have to work out. Some people can't take a dose past 2 or 3 pm or they'll be up at night.
I think you will do well on it once you find the right dose. That could be 10mgs twice a day, or maybe 5mgs several times spread out over the day. Whatever you're comfortable with. Your doctor should be willing to work with you to find the right dose and spacing of the doses.
Take care:D

sarahsweets
11-20-16, 06:47 AM
What is your daily dosage of spansules?

I take adderall xr three times a day and dex spansules- 10mg twice a day.

AddAnxiousMe
11-20-16, 08:01 PM
I take adderall xr three times a day and dex spansules- 10mg twice a day.

Hi Sarah, If you don't mind my asking, what dose of Adderall do you take? And why do you take both Adderall and Dexedrine? They are so close (chemically, anyway). Does that small amount of L-amp help in some way?
Thanks.

sarahsweets
11-21-16, 05:39 AM
Hi Sarah, If you don't mind my asking, what dose of Adderall do you take? And why do you take both Adderall and Dexedrine? They are so close (chemically, anyway). Does that small amount of L-amp help in some way?
Thanks.

To be fair- I have absorption issues that require me to take multiple doses on all medications during the day. I have also been the kind of person that has always been on the higher end of doses of medication my whole life.
I have taken stimulants for 15 years. In the beginning it was just dexedrine spansules/ ir combo and for awhile it was adderall xr/ir combo but to get the coverage I need for the whole day- especially since my day starts soooo early, I take 20mg adderall 3 times a day and 2 10mg dexedrine spansules spaced out between the other doses. Adderall xr lasts most people 6-8 hours- ir 4. For me, ir alway lasts about 2 hours and xr meds 4-5 hours. I have had absorption issues due to surgery 10 years now,so taking the xr meds- as if they are Ir has only been something I have had to do since 2006.

Jenn1202
12-14-16, 06:57 PM
U never know, 5 mg could be your dose. I would up the dose until it felt like I was getting enough benefit (or too many side effects). At some point you may feel like you're over-focused, which would mean that you need to lower the dose.