View Full Version : ADHD ans academic failure

Tjlac57
11-15-16, 05:20 PM
I always hear people who claim they have ADHD doing awesome in school and going to a top knotch college. I'm wondering if they truly have it , or a, I just a loser ? I've put so much effort into studying and w no result. Sorry to vent I just found this website.

namazu
11-15-16, 06:09 PM
Those aren't the only possibilities.

Not doing well in school doesn't make you a loser.

Doing well in school doesn't necessarily mean someone doesn't have ADHD.

There are all kinds of other factors -- interests, aptitudes, opportunities, support, treatment effectiveness...

Don't judge yourself and your worth based on the colleges that other people are attending.

There may be ways to study that would be more effective for you than the ways you've tried; there may be other treatments that could help; there are things you could do with your life that don't require a high GPA or a degree from a big-name school.

What are your goals? What support do you have in working towards them?

Harvey Specter
11-15-16, 06:20 PM
Great post namazu, but what do you do if you're unable to acheive your goals and are struggling to figure out your passions? Is medicine the only option?

I was diagnosed for adhd today and given intuniv. My goals are to do amazing in school 90%+ and graduate with a high end, well paying career (no need for you to question this, I'm 100% i want this since i came from a low income family and I just imagine myself in a suit working downtown living in a big house with a nice family being able to afford nice things, it's really just who i am, can't change it. I want to best things for my kids) However I'm struggling figuring out what I should go into. All im passionate about are video games, cycling, basketball. Literally thats it.

Sorry If i am hijacking this thread, it's just im 17 im a crucial point in my life where if i dont do something ill faill highschool and basically live on the streets (or minimum wage, same thing for me).

Thank you immensely

Tjlac57
11-15-16, 07:14 PM
Harvey there is nothing wrong w your goals. I have them as well. I am from the Boston area and basically how well you do or what college you went to defines who you are.
It sucks completely being on the low end of it. I don't wanted to sound like a hater , and I don't begrudge anyone. I look at it like it still like the RedSox even though I wasn't good in sports.
To answer Namazu hey thanks for the reply, I ended up going into the military and got a job based upon my service when I got out. I do ok, but I still and always will feel like a loser not being able to achieve a given field.
It could always be worse and be thankful for what you got I guess

sarahsweets
11-16-16, 05:51 AM
Great post namazu, but what do you do if you're unable to acheive your goals and are struggling to figure out your passions? Is medicine the only option?

I was diagnosed for adhd today and given intuniv. My goals are to do amazing in school 90%+ and graduate with a high end, well paying career (no need for you to question this, I'm 100% i want this since i came from a low income family and I just imagine myself in a suit working downtown living in a big house with a nice family being able to afford nice things, it's really just who i am, can't change it. I want to best things for my kids) However I'm struggling figuring out what I should go into. All im passionate about are video games, cycling, basketball. Literally thats it.
Those are huge goals even for someone without adhd, or on meds.

Tetrahedra
11-16-16, 02:07 PM
One problem with our educational system is that people get pushed onto the college track. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not pursuing college. Unfortunately many many people who go the college routes end up with huge debts that they struggle to pay off. If you combine that with the fact that many people don't get perfect jobs upon graduation, it can be really stressful and sometimes isn't worth it.

Have you tried exploring options that local community colleges offer? There are trades you can pursue which require a couple years of (cheaper) education.

Also, here's another thing to think about when you're feeling blue because someone appears to be doing better than you: they might not be.

Caco3girl
11-16-16, 04:15 PM
I always hear people who claim they have ADHD doing awesome in school and going to a top knotch college. I'm wondering if they truly have it , or a, I just a loser ? I've put so much effort into studying and w no result. Sorry to vent I just found this website.

My son has ADHD. It isn't a loser or faker scenario, it is that others have found ways to cope/adjust that you have not. The pattern I have seen is that when he knows what to study he does very well. When he isn't 100% crystal clear, and asked about it 4 times....that is when he fails.

This is a REAL text conversation between me and my son:
Me: Buddy, you got a 50% on your science vocabulary quiz.
Him: How?
Me: Well, I assume because you got 50% of the answers wrong
Him: But I studied and studied, again and again, I don't understand it.
Me: Were the words you studied actually ON the quiz?
Him: No, and that was weird
Me: What did you study?
Him: The Chapter 7 vocab
Me: That would explain it, your quiz was on the Chapter 8 vocab
Him: R u serious?
Me: Sorry buddy, write down the chapter in your agenda next time and not just that you have a vocab quiz in Science
Him: Yes M'am.