View Full Version : Asking doc to switch to Adderall

Harvey Specter
11-15-16, 05:22 PM
Hey,

My psychiatrist prescribed me Intuniv XR 1mg then 2mg 2 weeks after (anyone have experience with this?). Personally, i don't think it will work since i have lost all motivation to study, and literally cant concentrate/focus for more than 10 minutes, and i have to re-read everything. I am also very tired, light headed and have fainted before (side effects of Intuniv).

I've done lots of research on stimulants and im sure that they will be a much better fit. I don't want to play with Intuniv since i dont want useless drugs in my body, especially ones that will make me more tired.. I think I'll actually pass out on the bus or something. I feel as if i tell the doc this, they will just tell me to try it out for a month. But i dont want to freaking try it out. I've heard millions of stories of adderall/amphetamines/dexedrine that MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO DO THINGS. That is what i need, a push to want to study and some help being able to focus on it instead of gaming for 8 hours. I know ill be responsible to not game on adderall, just open my books and go crazy at studying.

How can I get my psychiatrist to switch me to stimulants, without sounding like I will want to sell them? I dont know man.. this world needs better doctors. Ones that actually want to help.. the whole sitting was me talking for 2 hours and a uni student asking questions.

Thanks a lot

sarahsweets
11-16-16, 05:59 AM
Have you asked if he has some kind of thing against trying stimulants first? Considering they are a first line treatment for adhd?

C15H25N3O
11-16-16, 06:32 AM
A pill worsening life and making only side effects is no good pill.

You could ask him if he would force his children to try this med for 1 month although they have bad side-effects.

You should call your doc immediately and ask him to switch you to a med that works.

My neuro-chemics dont care about a schedule status.

john2100
11-16-16, 07:25 AM
Why are you on intuniv?
How long have you been feeling like this?lost motivation ,feeling tired
Adderal gives a lot of motivation at first , but sustaining a long term focus and especaily motivation with adderal will not work forewer. You ' will end up chasing that motivation with increased dosage.

Harvey Specter
11-16-16, 06:54 PM
Have you asked if he has some kind of thing against trying stimulants first? Considering they are a first line treatment for adhd?

He just said he doesn't want to go with stimulants first, i dont know why. I guess intuniv is new here in canada and recently got approved for adhd. He said stimulants have a lot of abuse potential, thats it.

Guys, i havent tried the medication yet. Got my prescription yesterday. What im saying is that i DONT want to even try it. Because the symptoms of this drug is what i feel on a regular day basis. It's also wayyy out of my price range.

"Adderal gives a lot of motivation at first , but sustaining a long term focus and especaily motivation with adderal will not work forewer. You ' will end up chasing that motivation with increased dosage."

Can we confirm this 100%?

sarahsweets
11-17-16, 05:27 AM
I am sorry your doc feels that way, and nothing gets my panties in a twist more than doctors that wont prescribed what works best first- just because of abuse by other people.

Joker_Girl
11-21-16, 12:34 AM
It's also wayyy out of my price range.

That's a good enough reason in and of itself.

Also, I don't really feel like it gives me that much additional motivation. I wish something would motivate me.
It will keep me on task somewhat, but if I don't try to motivate myself to do something productive, I'm perfectly happy to make a mess or spend hours watching TV, playing with the dog, on the Internet, napping, etc....medicated or not.

My motivation for boring things is still pretty low, but once I get started, I am better able to finish things, or not spend forever doing something stupid.

If I'm unmedicated, I can't pay attention to anything else if there is a puppy, a kitten, a baby, something sparkly, something brightly colored (especially lime green), a cupcake, a daisy, a zebra, a bunny, etc. Anything that's not status quo comes around, I'm done for.