View Full Version : Vitamins or not

acdc01
11-16-16, 05:07 AM
I used take a multivitamin and a calcium supplement. I don't take either anymore cause my doctor told me calcium pills were associated with higher risk for problems like inceased heart attack and kidney damage risks.

But I'm wondering if stopping was a mistake. I've been getting muscle pulls again which I felt like didn't happen when I was on vitamins. Could be in my mind though. And I do wonder if I feel less sleepy with vitamins than without which does affect adhd symptoms.

What do you guys think? I don't want any increased risks but think I probably don't get enough vitamins without supplements. I could try improving my diet. If I did, does anyone have any tips on how to make sure I got all the vitamins I need?

sarahsweets
11-16-16, 07:02 AM
I have nutritional deficiencies that I must take vitamins for:
I take: C,D,E,B6,B12,Folic acid, calcium, iron, biotin, a prenatal multi, fish oil and melatonin and I have taken these vitamins for over 8 years. You MUST consult a doctor. Most people just need to eat better food, with less crap in it. I eat very well but I am medically advised to take these supplements due to absorption issues, Unless your doctor says so, I would be cautious.

C15H25N3O
11-16-16, 09:47 AM
I read a lot about positive effects of vitamin-d and vitamin-b12 in relation to ADHD.

Usually a doc says you can take 1000-3000 units a day on your own depending on season.

I found some ADHDs who becam prescribed to 20.000 units a day or 80.000 units a week.

Some people report to have a better effect by balanced vitamin-d levels than from stimulants.

I dont think it is a good idea to supplement them by trial and error by one-self because

vitamin-d is a hormon that is stored in body-fat and can have bad side-effects when overdosed.

Swallowing any available vitamin pill is something that is classified as ADHD-typical

substance abuse which is not only about addictive stuff.

Some days ago I made a bloodscreening to check my vitamin-d levels. I dont hope or crave

for vitamin pills on prescription but if my levels are low they must be filled up.

Unmanagable
11-16-16, 09:59 AM
After getting blood work done to test for vitamin and hormone levels (I also learned you have to specify what you want, or plan to have to have it done over again due to omission), I've learned my body functions at it's best when I regularly include B12, zinc, D3, and magnesium. My doctor supports it, and often asks for advice. Oh, the irony.

I also have a couple I take specifically for joint pains (AR-ENCAP) and for stomach issues (GI-ENCAP) and for food cravings (Chromium). I use the Thorne brand in most cases. Due to the seasonal darkness that's now upon us, I've increased my D3 and have included daily C intake, too. If I get the sniffles or feel like a cold is coming on, I also up the zinc and C.

However, just taking them without also making sure I'm well hydrated daily, getting enough sleep daily, partaking in purposeful daily stretching and movement, and staying on top of my nutrition packed high energy and healing meals/drinks, it is all of little use. It takes a village in every aspect of my self-care. My wellness has become my full-time job.

C15H25N3O
11-18-16, 04:16 AM
How did you find out chromium for food cravings?

Was it self-observation or is it common?

Unmanagable
11-18-16, 10:05 AM
How did you find out chromium for food cravings?

Was it self-observation or is it common?

Not sure how common it is. I first heard of it from a registered dietitian several years ago, but never tried it, as cravings were the least of my concern at the time.

Then it came up again via my acupuncture provider, who is also a master herbalist. She successfully used it for her own cravings and also found that it helps her 10 yr old son not crave the sweet stuff.

I take it with my lunch meal, and if I'm craving like a mofo, still, will take another with dinner, but usually, just the one dose helps. Sipping on warm lemon/ginger water instead of scanning the kitchen for eats helps, too, but sometimes, those parasitic desires take over and nothing stops them.

C15H25N3O
11-18-16, 10:21 PM
Thanks for sharing

BellaVita
11-18-16, 10:37 PM
Improving your diet is probably one of the best ways to start.

Start slow, adding a bit more veggies. Switching out some unhealthy things with healthy ones. Slowly find healthy dishes that you like.

I know for me, vitamins make a huge difference. But I have a medical condition that affects the way my body absorbs nutrients. It is important that I take them.

How about going to the doctor, and getting a full blood work up done to check for deficiencies?

That way you can know if it is safe for you and if you should be taking vitamins. It might help put your mind at ease, and help you know exactly what it is you need to be taking.