View Full Version : Suvorexant is fantastic

bluefoxicy
11-16-16, 05:59 PM
Seriously, Suvorexant is fantastic. Just got samples from my psychiatrist--10mg, 15mg, 20mg, three of each. Took the first 10mg last night; I'm taking the 20s back, going to try the 15s.

I've found 8-hour time-released Melatonin makes me sleep well (2mg might be a normal dose; I'm up to 6mg), but doesn't make me sleep. I take 20-30 minutes to get to sleep, I guess; in the process, I become alert again, and have to start over, so it may take 2 hours to sleep.

On Melatonin, I often have at least one wake after sleep onset (WASO). It takes me 40 minutes to 2 hours to fall back asleep; sometimes I take a sublingual 1mg Melatonin, which helps, even though Melatonin doesn't put me to sleep or decrease my latency to sleep onset (LSO).

Studies show Suvorexant has minimal effect on LSO or total sleep time (TST). It's supposed to reduce WASO. No rebound insomnia, no dependency; take it every day for a year and then just stop, and you're fine.

10mg Suvorexant (Belsomra) didn't decrease my LSO, but I get to sleep first try. I'm asleep in 20-30 minutes instead of 2 hours, and I wake up about the same time. If I wake up, I fall back asleep quickly.

In my case, Suvorexant has a lot more WASO than Melatonin. What I'm seeing is Suvorexant helps me to sleep, while Melatonin helps me to sleep well. The problem is I sleep poorly on Suvorexant, and I sleep well for little actual time on Melatonin.

Overall, Suvorexant was effective at allowing me to go to bed, get to sleep, and sleep all night.

Do not combine sedatives.

My psychiatrist told me to start without Melatonin, and then to combine them if Suvorexant doesn't work. Melatonin tends not to synergize with sedatives.

I'll experiment with that in the long term because of the differing therapeutic benefits. Getting enough sleep or restorative sleep counts as "not working"; getting both describes a healthy individual.

This stuff is $300 for a 30-day supply. If you have insurance, the manufacturer will give you a coupon to refill each of 12 30-day supplies at $90 (If you pay over $150) or $30 (if you pay under $150); my insurer now gives me better rates, although I'm filling the transition with the coupon.

I like it. Your doctor should be able to get you a free sample. Don't drop money on this stuff if it doesn't work. Do not increase your own dose.

Snoopy10
11-20-16, 11:53 AM
I wonder if Belsomra works on people with ADHD because our wake-brain chemistry is messed up. I tried it. It worked like magic but the next day I was in such a fog I couldn't function, I took my normal Adderall dosage and it was like I took nothing. Then the following night I didn't take it and could barely sleep.
The following week was a disaster with a hyperactive episode, depression, anxiety. It was like my brain had been completely disregulated.
It seems like Belsomra could be a good drug for people with ADHD but right now it's too new. It hangs around in your system too long and made my ADHD symptoms worse for several days. For now I'd rather not sleep than ever take that drug again.

bluefoxicy
11-23-16, 03:04 PM
It's always going to hang around too long; the drug has a 9-hour half life. Also it's a substrate for CYP3A4, so it'll screw you all up if you're an IM or PM; try taking a lower dose if you take it again, maybe down to 5mg. If it doesn't work for you, though, then there's no helping that.

Belsomra antagonizes Orexin, so its remaining presence can make you feel more-tired, and even depressed. The original doses were going to be 20mg, 40mg, 80mg; the FDA told them that's ridiculous, hence the 10mg, 15mg, 20mg schedule. Low side-effects is one thing; but if you take it and it hits you like a sledgehammer, maybe cut back your dose if you don't want to still feel that sledgehammer for the rest of the week?

I'm using 15mg and it might be making me groggy, for whatever reason. I'm combining it with continuous-release Melatonin now, so that might be it; or I'm starting to slip into the stage of sleep deprivation where I'm rested up enough for my body to crave more; or continuous use is settling in the steady state (3 day steady state), and retaining blood levels that high has some residual effects; or the amphetamine makes me depressed as it is (it does), and so I'm getting some cross-talk for drug effects. I might want to return to a 10mg dose after this 30-day supply, for the same reasons you stated, although not quite so extreme.

It's notable my sleep deprivation state is severe, so any such side-effects as minor grogginess or depression are tempered by recovery from over a year of getting way too little sleep.

So yeah. It works great for me--as much as my original observation was it allows me to successfully sleep, but doesn't club me into unconsciousness. Anything that works like phenibut or phenobarbitol might be a little much; normal people don't black out cold like that. My perspective might be a little different in that respect: I expect sleep drugs to combine with good sleep habits so that I can sleep, and thus to not work at all if I take them and just stay up all night playing video games; good sleep habits simply do not work for me.

It's annoying, but it's frigging magic to me.